All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed
« Change?Where is Keith? »
This is a sub-selection from No suprise here.

sturmvogel
Obama '08

join:2008-02-07
Houston, TX
reply to wifi4milez

Re: No suprise here.

said by wifi4milez:

I applaud him for not giving into the very small group of people who actually were opposed to this. Hopefully now that 'The Mesiah' is onboard with this we can stop talking about it for good.
You could include into that small group also the writers of the United States Constitution. I guess a small and not that important group.
--
Obama '08. Will help resolve the terrible broadband issues we have that put us so far behind other countries.

wifi4milez
Big Russ, 1918 to 2008. Rest in Peace

join:2004-08-07
New York, NY
said by sturmvogel:

said by wifi4milez:

I applaud him for not giving into the very small group of people who actually were opposed to this. Hopefully now that 'The Mesiah' is onboard with this we can stop talking about it for good.
You could include into that small group also the writers of the United States Constitution. I guess a small and not that important group.
Sure, if they in any way indicated that tracking communications between suspected terrorists and/or terrorist nations was wrong.
--
When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.
-Ronald Reagan-

amigo_boy

join:2005-07-22

2 recommendations

reply to sturmvogel
said by sturmvogel:

That's not true. The founding generation ditched limited government because it didn't work for them. They abandoned the relative libertarian "Articles of Confederation" for the new constitution of 1789 after just 12 years of supposed nirvana.

The irony is that it was Shay's Rebellion that incited public outcry for a larger, more effective and powerful government.

So, you see, the founding generation is no different than subsequent generations. They tried to implement their revolutionary, anti-Authoritarian rhetoric. It didn't work. They wanted more government just 12 years later. Every generation has done the same thing.

You don't know what the founding generation would have thought about the challenges we face today -- when all they had to concern themselves with were individuals with 6-foot-long, single-shot muskets.

We've gained tremendous advantages as individuals. Mass communication at our fingertips (the ability to run our won web sites, and email). Global travel in hours instead of weeks. With those advances that improve our freedoms come new risks, and new calls for expansions of government. It's not like a lose-lose proposition. We win a little, lose a little.

Mark

Combat Chuck
Too Many Cannibals
Premium
join:2001-11-29
Verona, PA

1 recommendation

Hurray for revisionist historians.
--
Come let us reason together.

amigo_boy

join:2005-07-22
said by Combat Chuck:

Hurray for revisionist historians.
Are you saying

1) The Articles of Confederation didn't exist?

2) The new Constitution of 1789 wasn't a massive increase in government?

3) The majority of the founding generation didn't want it, but it happened anyway?

4) You're not happy with the implications?

My money is on #4.

Mark