uniqs
share rss forum feed

MountainMan6
Premium
join:2007-11-18
Milo, ME
reply to mattmill

Re: [ex-VZ] Losing sync

Are you sure it's not a DNS problem? I was having similar issues for the past couple of weeks. Evenings and weekends when everyone was online web pages were extremely slow to load and often would get page not found errors. I switched to OpenDNS and it completely cured the problem. In fact it's faster and smoother than things ever were with FP/VZ DNS.

Benvt

@myfairpoint.net
Thanks for the OpenDNS suggestion. It made a huge difference! I was getting page not found often before. Now I get sites loading instantly!

So it seems the solution to FP is to avoid them as much as possible.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·Hollis Hosting
·G4 Communications
reply to MountainMan6
said by MountainMan6:

I switched to OpenDNS and it completely cured the problem.
Interesting. I run my own DNS resolver on our home network so tend to overlook possible DNS problem.

»ntcanuck.com/

Our kids use FP's DNS server and have not complained so it appears to be a localized problem.

/tom

duked

join:2000-08-12
Bath, ME
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to mattmill
OK,since fairpoint took over the billing for internet,from verizon. The service has gone downhill . Before ,with vz
I had a really good connection, not the greatest but real good
consistent , reliable and fairly quick ,about 2600-2800
now it is refresh city , I mean all the time , reset routers
reset modems. that works for awhile and then ,page cannot be found errors and partial pages . page not found ect.

I think they do not have a clue how to keep this up and running,

they just really suck in my opinion

that is the short version of my rant
Duke \

Billing is a total joke . but that is another rant

duked

join:2000-08-12
Bath, ME
reply to MountainMan6
Yes I too went to opendns and my problems have been sovled
for 24 straight hrs .. so far my fingers are crossed.
It is real easy
just go the site opendns.com and they walk u through
and it is free and registering is optional.
Duke

mattmill

join:1999-09-03
Brunswick, ME
Ok, I am looking at opendns.org and it seems straight forward but my question is for a linksys router. On the first page of the router screens the static DNS entries are all 0.0.0.0 but on the Status page it is 64.222.212.243 and 64.222.165.243 is the 0.0.0.0 for auto detecting a dns server?

matt
--
Scout the Australian Shepherd »www.mainemillers.com

lobster11

join:2004-01-19
Brunswick, ME
Those 64.22... IP addresses are FairPoint's DNS servers. In Windows XP if I open a Command window and type "ipconfig/all,” then normally I would see those DNS servers listed - except I run a DNS Caching program.

I would guess you put in the DNS servers you want to use in the "static" DNS IP addresses, followed by the FairPoint servers if you have room. Then type "save" or whatever, and when you enter "ipconfig/all" again you should see the DNS servers are now what you specified.

PS: As far as the sync problems that started this topic, FairPoint is rumored to have been cut off by certain contractors and suppliers because FairPoint hasn't paid them. If vendors aren't being paid then FairPoint may have difficulty acquiring new DSL equipment to replace any that is failing.

MountainMan6
Premium
join:2007-11-18
Milo, ME
reply to mattmill
I'm far from a networking expert but my understanding is if you have 0.0.0.0 in the router, DNS IP addresses are obtained by DHCP from FP. What you want to do is put the OpenDNS IP addresses in the static DNS entries.

mattmill

Brunswick, ME
said by MountainMan6:

I'm far from a networking expert but my understanding is if you have 0.0.0.0 in the router, DNS IP addresses are obtained by DHCP from FP. What you want to do is put the OpenDNS IP addresses in the static DNS entries.
That's what I did and so far so good. We'll see what happens over the next week or so.

matt
--

mattmill

Brunswick, ME
reply to mattmill
Been using OpenDNS for a week now and have not seen any issues with loss of sync or having to refresh pages. I might switch back temporarily just to see but right now all is good.

Thanks for the suggestion.

matt
--