spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jqnflcn

@verizon.net

[speed/latency] Speed Test

I have used the Verizon Gateway (Westell 7500 modem/router)and the upload speed shown below is significantly higher than Spaekeasy, Speedtest.net and others show. Verizon Tech Support told me that their test show the same speeds.

Why do the other speed testing sites show a much lower number (specially for the download speeds)? VZ said this is the most accurate (the Gateway), is this true?

Thanks.

Gateway Status
Your Gateway is Ready for Internet Access

Broadband Connection
Internet Status: Connected
DSL Link: Connected
Speed(Down/Up) 1184 Kbps / 448 Kbps
Connection Type: PPPoE
Username: XXXXXXXx
IP Address: XX.XXX.XX.XX

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..
On the 1Mbps plan, the most you should be able to hit is roughly 1040kbps download, 390kbps upload. Keep in mind though, these numbers are measured in Kilbits, not Kilobytes. Otherwise, the gateway does show the most accurate total line throughput via the sync rate, but you won't see the full sync rate speed in real life tests due to overhead that is associated with the line.

Here's a speed test of my line. I have the 1Mbps/384kbps plan.

Last Result:
Download Speed: 1036 kbps (129.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 381 kbps (47.6 KB/sec transfer rate
Latency: 22ms

Jqnflcn

join:2009-04-09
Morrisville, PA
Thank you. Is it correct though when speakeasy and speedtest show upload speeds of ~500kbps vs 1M shown in the Gateway?

Which is closer to the true upload speed?

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..
Your modem isn't set to have 1Mbps of upload, so I assume the 500kbps is on the download side. The gateway speed is the closest measurement of what you should get close to. If you are in fact only getting 500kbps on the download but yet the upload is the correct speed, if you've checked that nothing is using your connection while it is testing, you might want to run a line quality test to see if something is slowing you down.

Your true upload speed should be 384kbps. Your true download speed should be 1000kbps.

Jqnflcn

join:2009-04-09
Morrisville, PA

Re: [speed/latency] Speed Test Westell 7500

My bad. Thx for correcting my mistake (I meant download speed).

One more thing, the "My Gateway" speeds never change (always says: Speed(Down/Up)= 1184 Kbps / 448 Kbps).
Is this right/possible?

The speeds shown on Speedtest and Speakeasy vary and are never the exact same numbers. This is partly why I am a little suspicious about the My Gateway numbers being the actual speeds... My Gateway show these same numbers even when the other speed tests were showing almost half the download speed.

Thx for your patience...

Gateway Status
Your Gateway is Ready for Internet Access
Broadband Connection

Internet Status: Connected
DSL Link: Connected
Speed(Down/Up) 1184 Kbps / 448 Kbps
Connection Type: PPPoE

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

1 edit
Well, I can say this. Your gateway is set at the proper speed for your package, and really that speed since it is the correct speed should never change unless there is a line issue or you change your package. Hope this helps at all .

But keep in mind though: Your gateway only shows the actual speed of the line. The real world speeds are shown in your speed tests, and are typically a litle lower than what the Gateway says purely because of all of the overhead data that is transferred.

SO yeah.