spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

yyxd78

join:2009-04-10

How to control the router for Internet access?

I have a high speed internet wireless router (Westell VersaLink 327W from Verizon)at home. My teenage son has his own pc cabled to the router. We are both using Vista.

How can I control from my pc when my son's pc can access internet without installing a parental control program on my son's pc? Say, I want the access to be locked between midnight and 6 AM?

Your help would be appreciated.

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7

I don't see a useful way of doing that with the 327w.

You could turn off the WiFi, set the modem as a bridge, and connect a WiFi router that does support parental controls.

yyxd78

Can I use a WiFi router that supports parental controls and replace the 327w? Any recommendation?

Thanks!

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
Geneva, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

If you are on DSL, then you still need a DSL modem. Putting the modem in bridge mode makes it only a modem, and leave the router functions to your router.

I don't have recommendations for a router. Not having young children, I have not had that problem.

yyxd78

I may have confused things here.

I have only Westell VersaLink 327W now. Is it a modem or router, or both? My son's PC is connected to one of its port by a cable. Other computers have wireless connections with it. How can I control my son's pc access if it connects directly to the 327W?

Thanks!

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
Geneva, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

If you are using DSL, then the 327w is being used as both modem and router. It is designed to do both. However its router functionality is more limited than that of devices intended to be only home routers.

If the 327w is configured as a bridge (modem only), then you would have to connect the router to the 327w, and the computers to the router. And then the router would limit access, assuming you get a router with that functionality.