spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Trar

@myfairpoint.net

I can't seem to find out how to forward my BitTorrent port

Before the Fairpoint takeover, I could do it. Now, I don't know where the menu is! (also, please forgive me if this is in the wrong forum). My port is 6881. How should I forward my port now?

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
FairPoint has not changed DSL. Were you able to forward ports before? Have you changed router configuration?

What modem/router do you have? Have you checked user manual?

/tom

Trar

@myfairpoint.net
said by tschmidt:

FairPoint has not changed DSL. Were you able to forward ports before? Have you changed router configuration?

What modem/router do you have? Have you checked user manual?

/tom
Yes, I could before. I typed in the 192 IP into my URL bar, and I could configure it from there. Nowe, when I type it in, I don't know where the menu is to forward my port! My router hasn't changed, my router is a Westell Versalink 327W and I haven't checked the manual!

The problem is basically my unfamiliarity with the interface I get when I type 192.168.1.1. in.

kuzzle

join:2007-07-27
Richmond, ME

1 edit
reply to Trar
{Ignore this didn't read the whole post.}

lobster11

join:2004-01-19
Brunswick, ME
reply to Trar
By default the modem's firewall likely blocks only port 53, which is DNS. Any other configuration has nothing to do with FairPoint.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
Milford, NH
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting
said by lobster11:

By default the modem's firewall likely blocks only port 53, which is DNS. Any other configuration has nothing to do with FairPoint.
If that were so none of the PCs on the LAN would be able to look up host names.

A side effect of using NAT is that all incoming connection requests are discarded because NAT does not know how to forward request. That is the purpose of port forwarding.

Outgoing (toward Internet) is largely transparent.

/tom

FredFredrick

join:2008-12-04
Laconia, NH
reply to Trar
I can confirm, Fairpoint updated the firmware (their logo now appears, still on the verizon red backgroud) on the Westell modems (their logo now appears, still on the verizon red backgroud), and the entire port fowarding section is broken & locked down. Adding new port fowards don't work, editing old port fowards is locked.

WTF?!

FredFredrick

join:2008-12-04
Laconia, NH
reply to Trar
upon further review, it appears that the response to adding port fowarding is a malformed script with no /script tag, html included to let us know the routing table is missing. The firmware is absolutely crapified. I don't think port fowarding will work at all at this point...

MountainMan6
Premium
join:2007-11-18
Milo, ME
Yeah, they crapified the firmware in my Westell 6100 too. Grrrr!

lobster11

Brunswick, ME

1 edit
My Westell A90 wasn't affected although it never said "Verizon". I have "Remote Access" disabled and I use a custom password.

PS: I recall Verizon subscribers posting about flashing the A90 with Westell's firmware.

MountainMan6
Premium
Milo, ME
reply to Trar
Hmm, thanks lobster11. My modem is a C90. I hadn't thought about flashing it with Westell firmware. Is there a way to prevent FP from mucking it up again? The only remote access setting I can find in the modem is disabled and I believe it always has been. I had a custom password set, that obviously didn't stop them.

This modem originally had Westell firmware which was great. Then VZ flashed it and it went down hill. Now FP has really made a mess of it!

lobster11

Brunswick, ME

3 edits
Here is a post in the Verizon DSL thread (Jan. 2009) about a recent Verizon firmware upgrade that "bricked the NAT", as this poster described it. Verizon support said the solution was to disable the internal firewall and router, in order to use the modem in "bridge mode": »Re: Westell 6100 now mysteriously running Proline Firmware?

It's in this thread: »Westell 6100 now mysteriously running Proline Firmware?

PS: There is a post in this thread that says the firmware upgrade that Verizon implemented in January had to do with improving compatibility with a 64-bit OS, particularly Vista. The post also said the antiquated Westell A90 series won't run with a 64-bit OS, so that's possibly why my modem wasn't affected by the upgrade.

MountainMan6
Premium
Milo, ME
Thanks. I've been doing some digging and haven't found any way to prevent FP from repeatedly forcing new firmware on me. Besides, Westell firmware seems unobtainable from what I can gather.

I guess I will end up putting the modem in bridge mode with a router behind it, assuming I can figure out how to do that with this horrible FP firmware.

My other thought was that maybe buying a DSL modem of a model that was never supplied by VZ/FP might stop them from messing it up.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
Milford, NH
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting
I've never used Westell modem/router combo. Been a long time Verizon, now FairPoint, customer. When I signed up Verizon was shipping B90 dumb modems,I used with my own router.

Couple of years ago purchased a used Netopia 3346N modem/router on eBay. Been very happy with it.

Some stuff to keep in mind when getting a new modem/router:
Get one that supports ADSL2/ADSL2+. This is second generation ADSL spec and improves reliability over long or marginal circuits as well as some other minor engineering tweaks. Verizon does not specifically market support for ADSL2 but as they deploy new DSLAM line cards it comes for free. If both customer modem and DSLAM support it will automatically be used, if not drops back to ADSL.

I prefer combo modem/router because it makes accessing modem stats easier.

Verizon used PPPoE (in most areas) and ATM. ATM requires setting VPI/VCI. Some modems are able to detect setting automatically. If not set it manually to 0:35.

P2P file sharing is very demanding of NAT due to large number of open sessions. Get a router with large NAT table.

ADSL is asymmetric, download is much faster then upload. As such it is easy to saturate upload. QoS assists in prioritizes upload traffic.

/tom