All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Benvt
@myfairpoint.net

Benvt

Anon

Is 130 a really poor upload speed for a 768 connection?

With all FP's problems I've been doing lots of speed tests. My results seem alarmingly low and I cannot get through to FP's customer service at all. I pay for 3000/768 service and average about 1400/130. Anyone know how I can speed anything up?

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt

MVM

Verizon and FairPoint set DSL modem sync speed higher then marketing speed to compensate for overhead. Speed test result should be near marketing speed.

First step is to access modem status page to see if modem is able to sync at correct speed. Sync speed for 3000/768 service is 3360/864. Margin should be at least 10 dB in each direction. Between 10-6 dB connection is vulnerable to disturbances, under 6 dB modem will not be able to maintain sync.

/tom
lobster11
join:2004-01-19
Brunswick, ME

lobster11 to Benvt

to Benvt
If you access »192.168.1.1 and click "Troubleshooting", "Transceiver stats" you should see stats similar to those below for 1.5 Mbps service. A so-called "POTS splitter" would improve these stats. That's a small electronic device to separate the DSL line from the telephone service (POTS). Also 1792 Kbits/sec is 1.5 Mbps after overhead.

DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 1792 448
Margin (db) 14.0 12.0
Line Attenuation (db) 57.5 18.5
Transmit Power (db/Hz) 13.0 11.0

Benvt
@myfairpoint.net

Benvt

Anon

I pay for 3000/768. My connection is at 1792/160. So I'm obviously only getting half the speed I pay for. The 160 really bothers me. Why so low? I've tried to get through to FP the past 2 days in a row to no avail. I can't wait for this nightmare to end.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt

MVM

said by Benvt :

I pay for 3000/768.
There is no difference in price between 3000/768 and 1500/384. ADSL service is marketed as "up to" depending on distance and condition of phone line. If circuit supports it configured for higher speed, if not lower speed.

First step is to access modem stats. What speed does modem sync at and what is download and upload margin? When you say "my connection is at 1792/160" is that speed test result or modem sync rate? Verizon used to offer 1500/128 package a long time ago but has gradually increased upload speed.

Has your speed gone down recently?

/tom

Benvt
@myfairpoint.net

Benvt

Anon

1792/160 is from my modem stats page. Not sure if my speed is slower or not. I never noticed any speed problems with VZ so I never tested. Everything does seem slower, especially with all the page not found errors. I'm located on the VT-Canada border so my lines just might be slow. I'm hoping I can get through to FP to see if they can give me the 3000 service that I'm billed for. 1500 doesn't cut it for my Directv on demand.
lobster11
join:2004-01-19
Brunswick, ME

lobster11

I called gwi.net sales before the transition to FairPoint, and they quickly performed a line test which suggested my connection supported 3000 bps. Essentially they remotely tested my "Transceiver stats", posted above, which should improve further once I wire in a POTS splitter.
pcme2000
join:2008-01-17
Bangor, ME

pcme2000 to Benvt

to Benvt
I would call tech support and explian what is going on and if needed yell and scream some. When I upgraded my 3.0 to 7.1 they first some how lowered mine to 758 down. And said that they didn't do it. Some yelling and screaming got them to actually send a tech out on a saturday and they got it fixed after about 4 hrs. It was on there end.