All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

rgbyhkr
@bellsouth.net

rgbyhkr

Anon

With email on Yahoo, can I ditch DSL and keep email address?

So, I think I'm gonna drop DSL for Comcast. The speed gap is just too great and I have a feeling that Uverse won't come to my neighborhood because it's a gated community. I can get up to 50/10 with Comcast if I want to, though I'll likely go with 30.

Anyways, I was thinking about my email address. Yes, I should have switched to a non-ISP based addy long ago, but I haven't. Like many folks, I have had the same address for years and am loathe to switch it. I am prepared to do it though and get people onto a new address, which I already have setup. What I don't want though is to wait several months before switching in order to catch folks who might not know about my email change. I know I could drop to the lowest tier DSL plan and keep both for a few months, but that does seem like a waste.

I'm assuming here that once I drop DSL, my Bellsouth email goes dead. Is that true even with Yahoo handling the email duties? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

Jeff

TechSupport
Cor unum et anima una
Premium Member
join:2009-04-10
Metairie, LA

TechSupport

Premium Member

it actually depends.

if that is an at&t domain and Powered by Yahoo... then you can keep the email

if that is bellsouth domain and transferred to Yahoo. you can still use it if you transferred account after jan something. forgot about exact date. but you can easily ask a service agent about that

for bellsouth domain with old att server
you only have 30 days timeframe to keep the email after transferrinf to comcast. ot you can have the option to make the email account a add-mailbox dial option. on this option i am not really sure if it is for free but you can still keep your email account as if it was a back up dial up email account . you can ask that with billing department for further assistance on that option..
TechSupport

TechSupport

Premium Member

oops my bad.. but you still have option on the top.. never read the title "with email on Yahoo.."

for yahoo you should be able to maintain that email account

Tel
join:2001-10-12
Mauldin, SC

Tel to rgbyhkr

to rgbyhkr
said by rgbyhkr :

So, I think I'm gonna drop DSL for Comcast. The speed gap is just too great and I have a feeling that Uverse won't come to my neighborhood because it's a gated community. I can get up to 50/10 with Comcast if I want to, though I'll likely go with 30.

Anyways, I was thinking about my email address. Yes, I should have switched to a non-ISP based addy long ago, but I haven't. Like many folks, I have had the same address for years and am loathe to switch it. I am prepared to do it though and get people onto a new address, which I already have setup. What I don't want though is to wait several months before switching in order to catch folks who might not know about my email change. I know I could drop to the lowest tier DSL plan and keep both for a few months, but that does seem like a waste.

I'm assuming here that once I drop DSL, my Bellsouth email goes dead. Is that true even with Yahoo handling the email duties? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

Jeff
The gated community thing really doesn't mean much or at least it doesn't in this area. If the entire neighborhood isn't served by some type of private contract with another company and is being served by Bellsouth facilities, then it could qualify as easily as any other subdivision.

rgbyhkr
@bellsouth.net

rgbyhkr to TechSupport

Anon

to TechSupport
I think I understand what you're saying. Just to be clear, I'll lay out the specifics of my situation:

- I have an @bellsouth.net email address that I have used for years
- I transferred over from the old Bellsouth webmail to the new Yahoo webmail with that account in early March of this year.
- I want to cancel my DSL service but retain access to my @bellsouth.net email account via Yahoo
- Ideally, I would be able to retain use of the @bellsouth.net email address indefinitely via Yahoo and retain access to my existing email history on the server. (I do have it all downloaded to a desktop client on multiple machines, so there's no real worry about losing it, but it would be nice to keep on the server just the same)

It looks like from what you said, I would be able to do this. Assumingly, that's because Yahoo is handling the email instead of Bellsouth/AT&T. I would then guess that since they offer free email to people anyways, I can leave Bellsouth and not have email service interrupted to that @bellsouth.net address. Essentially, I could still use that address to send/receive as if nothing had changed at all.

If that's the case, the only question remaining would be if I would then have to pay Yahoo to upgrade to Mail Plus after the switch. I could be wrong here, but I think that POP access is usually reserved for paid email accounts under Yahoo Mail Plus ($20/year), but that the fee is waived or otherwise currently being covered by Bellsouth. I'll have to check on that though.

Jeff
rgbyhkr

rgbyhkr to Tel

Anon

to Tel
said by Tel:

The gated community thing really doesn't mean much or at least it doesn't in this area. If the entire neighborhood isn't served by some type of private contract with another company and is being served by Bellsouth facilities, then it could qualify as easily as any other subdivision.
That's interesting and I didn't know that. Though there is the unknown of how long it would take for it to come to my neighborhood specifically (I checked availability so I know I definitely can't get it yet). SInce the email address is the only thing holding me back, I figure if I can take it with me then I don't have to wait and get even faster speeds right now. Thanks for the insight though.

Jeff

wayjac
MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy

wayjac to rgbyhkr

MVM

to rgbyhkr
said by rgbyhkr :

I want to cancel my DSL service but retain access to my @bellsouth.net email account via Yahoo
When you stop paying for dsl or dial you will lose your @bellsouth.net email address

When you cancel the dsl you get free dial up access for 60 days which you can use to access the @bellsouth.net email account
After 60 days, you will be given the option to create a new Yahoo ID and transfer your data and preferences to it

rgbyhkr
@bellsouth.net

rgbyhkr

Anon

said by wayjac:

When you cancel the dsl you get free dial up access for 60 days which you can use to access the @bellsouth.net email account
After 60 days, you will be given the option to create a new Yahoo ID and transfer your data and preferences to it
Yeah, I was thinking it was something like this. The option to transfer is interesting though. Do you know if the data transfer data includes old email messages? Thanks!

Jeff

wayjac
MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy

wayjac

MVM

said by rgbyhkr :

Do you know if the data transfer data includes old email messages?
There's no need to wait, when you log in to the att yahoo portal page, the mail section has options for downloading a archive of your email, you can forward all incoming mail messages to a different email address.