Premium Member
join:2003-06-13
Manchester, NH

1 edit

kpatz to moonpuppy

Premium Member

to moonpuppy

Re: foxnews.com infected?

This one didn't sink its hooks in very deep... I just killed the pav.exe process, deleted the file and the shortcut, removed the run entry from the registry and it's gone. Maybe if I let it lurk for a while it would download more of the hard-to-remove crap. Or maybe this is one of the "easy-to-remove" variants.

EDIT: Had to remove a BHO that was intercepting IE as well.

Cant Tell You
@204.211.193.x

Cant Tell You

Anon

Five minutes is all it usually takes and your done. If you can catch it in the first couple of minutes then you can beat it. But, how many users have any clue on how to do that? Most of my customers tell me they finally brought it in when they just couldn't deal with it any longer. Some last a couple of days! I don't know how they do it. It blows my mind when I can't get the annoying IE or Firefox popup to go away in the initial attempt at getting you to click to download. I always try to kill it without killing the process. I refuse to give in to it.
kpatz
MY HEAD A SPLODE
Premium Member
join:2003-06-13
Manchester, NH

1 edit

kpatz

Premium Member

I re-infected my VM and will leave it on there a bit longer before attempting removal. I love challenges!

When I right-click the tray icon, it says "Open User Inteface". Malware makers never proofread their work...
moonpuppy (banned)
join:2000-08-21
Glen Burnie, MD

moonpuppy (banned) to kpatz

to kpatz
said by kpatz:

This one didn't sink its hooks in very deep... I just killed the pav.exe process, deleted the file and the shortcut, removed the run entry from the registry and it's gone. Maybe if I let it lurk for a while it would download more of the hard-to-remove crap. Or maybe this is one of the "easy-to-remove" variants.

EDIT: Had to remove a BHO that was intercepting IE as well.
I shut down my system as soon as I realized what was going on. This laptop has no AV but it is fully patched.

Glad I am not going crazy.