how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

kc27
Premium
join:2006-03-11
South Milwaukee, WI

Turn Off Firewall Protection in 2Wire Gateway?

When I go into the configuraton settings for my 2Wire 3800HGV-BI Gateway, and navigate to Home Network > Advanced Settings > Edit Address Allocation, all of the computers attached to the Gateway are listed. Each computer has a checkbox that is checked by default for "Firewall Protection"

Is this Firewall Protection needed if I already have a software firewall running on the PC? Will having both running cause any problems?

gdm
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-15
Mchenry, IL
kudos:3

No it won't cause any problems. Personally I prefer to have it on my hardware just in case one of the PC's gets infected some how.

ozzy6900

join:2005-01-11
West Haven, CT
kudos:1
reply to kc27

Most routers have Firewall protection that is conducive to operating a network. A lot of attacks can be stopped at the router so that they do not enter your network. We are not talking about viruses or worms here, we are talking about probing and assaults at the IP level. It deters (not totally prevents) port scanning and IP assaults, both of which are a constant problem. Your PC software will not prevent this. The router's firewall also hides your PC's IP address which in itself prevents a multitude of attacks.

The firewall need not be touched unless you run on line games through gaming equipment or operate remote servers. In these cases, ports can be opened to allow the outside world to connect to the equipment necessary.

In short, the router firewall can be compared to the steel front door of your house and your bedroom being the computer. The attacker is outside the steel door and will probably move on to another house. Keep the steel door open and there is only the hollow core door of your bedroom protecting you.

TheDuck

join:2003-06-22
Eastlake, OH
reply to kc27

And not to mention all the activity on the line that would have to be handled by the software firewall eating precious CPU cycles.

kc27
Premium
join:2006-03-11
South Milwaukee, WI

Thanks for the explanations. I will leave the Firewall Protecton on as was suggested.

ozzy6900

join:2005-01-11
West Haven, CT
kudos:1

Good Thinking!