spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

frankh0808

@cimquest-inc.com

Adjusting the blade engagement cable

I have a Craftsman LT1000 ride on. It seems the cable to engage the blades has "strecthed" or come loose. After crawling on the ground for an hour, I simply cant find a way to tighten up the cable. Any suggestions?

superdog
I Need A Drink
Premium,MVM
join:2001-07-13
Lebanon, PA
How about some pictures of where the cable is attached at both ends so we have an idea of what can/can not be done?.
--
»www.wavecrazy.net

frankh0808

@cimquest-inc.com
I will take some pics. But on both ends, there is a factory ends, no screw adjusters, or adjusters anywhere that I can see.

superdog
I Need A Drink
Premium,MVM
join:2001-07-13
Lebanon, PA
said by frankh0808 :

I will take some pics. But on both ends, there is a factory ends, no screw adjusters, or adjusters anywhere that I can see.
You may have to shorten the cable by making your own stops by attaching a U-bolt to one end after you pull the cable tight?
--
»www.wavecrazy.net

frankh0808

@cimquest-inc.com
I thought about that, but that may be a short term solution. I dont know why they wouldnt put a simple screw adjuster on the end, life would be so simple. Thanks for your help, I'll try to put up some pics tomorrow.

zen1

@optonline.net
reply to frankh0808
said by frankh0808 :

I have a Craftsman LT1000 ride on. It seems the cable to engage the blades has "strecthed" or come loose. After crawling on the ground for an hour, I simply cant find a way to tighten up the cable. Any suggestions?
maybe the belt stretched too much?. if there is no adjustment, it must have had enough throw that they felt with a good belt, or slightly worn belt, it will still engage.

seaquake
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-23
Millersville, MD
reply to frankh0808
Yeah, check to see if your belt is stretched. Replacing it may be all that's needed. Also verify that the engagement cable is anchored securely on both ends. The cable on my previous craftsman tractor was very sturdy. I don't think it would ever stretch enough that it couldn't engage the blades.

Also something else to check is the pulleys. Make sure they're all engage properly.

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

1 recommendation

reply to frankh0808
I also have an LT1000. My cable has broken before, but it didn't stretch before that happened. Sounds like it's time to pull the mower deck and look closely at the mechanism that engages the blades. Something may be loose or worn, preventing the pulley from making its full travel.

Just lubricating all of the pivot points makes mine operate MUCH easier.

frankh0808

@cimquest-inc.com
Yea, it for sure needs a lube job. Guess Im getting dirty Saturday cause my grass is 6" already and in need of a haircut. Guess i'll be breaking out the file to sharpen up the blades while Im at it.

Friend of mine suggested to go to Sears, check out a new mowers mechanics, maybe Im missing something real simple?

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
Check that both ends of the cable housing are secured properly. The end down at the mower deck is held in place with a plastic spacer and a small hitch clip. If the cable housing can move, then the cable itself can't do its job.

Money saving tip: When the cable on mine broke, I found that Sears wanted $25 + shipping for a new one. I bought a package of assorted bicycle cables for about $3 at Walmart and installed a new cable into the old sheath and clamped the end. It's worked great for 2 summers.

i1me2ao
Premium
join:2001-03-03
TEXAS

1 edit
reply to frankh0808
may help or not. found online manual that is 60 pages at managemyhome.com about page 48 of pdf there is breakdown of deck parts and diagram. may not be exact one but you can at least see how the cable is run. also that is free site..

model number

--
calling a illegal alien undocumented is like calling a drug dealer a undocumented pharmacist

james1

join:2001-02-26
reply to frankh0808
said by frankh0808 :

After crawling on the ground for an hour, I simply cant find a way to tighten up the cable. Any suggestions?
You could try driving it into your pool, the cold water will cause the metal cable to tighten.

zen1

@optonline.net
reply to frankh0808
check the belt, it's probably stretched past the range at which the blade engagement lever was designed for, the mechanism has a design range, and if the belt is too loose, it'll never engage the blades..

frankh0808

@cimquest-inc.com
reply to frankh0808
OK, it isnt the cable at all. Its dirt and rust! What I did was WD-40'd every moving part that could be lubed. I starting pulling and pushing on the belt and saw exactly how the engagement pully moved. Once I saw exactly what was going on, I sprayed the hell out of it. LAter oiled it up including the cable where it enters the sheath. Jumped on it, cranked her up and engaged that sucka without a problem, (nice and smooth actually) I think shes good, at least for now!!!

Thanks all!