spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DealSeeker

@optonline.net

Reduce my cablevision rates -- FiOS?

I currently pay $147/month for iO family basic, HD DVR, OOL, and OV. When I signed up a few years ago, I received the triple play for 99/month. After that deal was over, I believe my per month was around $120. I added a DVR which brought it to $125 or so, and over time it has gone up to $147 with taxes and fees.

I called two different numbers yesterday looking to get better rates and to leverage the FiOS offers I get 3 times a week for $95/month for the three services. Although that may not be the same exact package I have now, I can see where I can save a substantial amount of money over time by switching.

I prefer to stay with cablevision as they are already setup in my home and I have had OOL for 6-7 years now and have a ton of web accounts attached to my optonline email address.

I took the advice of others on this message board about calling the "telemarketer" line and also saying that FiOS has given me a good deal. I did not tell them I had an appointment to have FiOS installed, but that I am weighing the numbers and I am very interested in FiOS based on price. Cablevision just reminded me there is never a contract to sign with them and there are no equipment rentals (but the box costs money!).

Any advice on what to do, short of changing carriers? Based on what I have, for those familiar with FiOS, how much would the 'family basic', 'net, and voice lines cost?

JDolan

@optonline.net
Why do you deserve a reduction?
Just because you can switch to FIOS?
If so, then switch!

Crypto_Bug

join:2001-05-31
Torrington, CT
reply to DealSeeker
I think the telemarketer who told you that there are no equipment rentals was smoking something. There is a fee for every box and for every remote you get and if you want the service you have to have their boxes.

submrge

join:2004-10-10
Brooklyn, NY

2 edits
reply to DealSeeker
for me FiOS is not cheaper. I pay $148/mo -triple play no movie channels, 1 DVR with CVC. The thing that makes FiOS more money is that I have 5 TV's with no boxes. So i would need 6 FiOS converters.

Even if I get 1 DVR and 5 digital adapters (to save money) it still comes out to almost the same not counting taxes which I've read are about $18.

FiOS has been available here for about 1 1/2 yrs. I always price it hoping it will be a savings but it never is. I can't see changing everything over to pay the same or more. Plus I still have vivid memories of my billing nightmare with VZ wireless.

IanR

join:2001-03-22
Fort Mill, SC

1 edit
reply to DealSeeker
Have you signed up for the Rewards program? This gives you a monthly credit to your account of $20.00. You will find it in the cablevision website. It also gives free cinema movies once a week (Tuesdays).

MxxCon

join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY
reply to DealSeeker
CV is getting a pretty good training how to counter fios competition so you have to be good with social engineering.

the only people who can give you $99 price is retention/cancellation department.
call and tell them that you got an offer from fios for $99 and are going to cancel. but if possible you'd rather stay with CV since it would be somewhat of a hassle to switch services.

but make sure that you can actually get FIOS at your address. CV can check availability while on the phone and ruin your plan.

if this doesn't work, order fios and then call CV cancellations. you'll have fios order number to prove that you are serious.
then when push gets to shove, call back fios and tell me to best CV's $99 offer. and go back and forth

dealing30002

join:2001-06-14
Chatham, NJ
reply to DealSeeker
Depends on the number of boxes you have. The base deal is ~$95 if you order online for all three services and you get $150 back I think which is $6.25 off a month for two years (contract length). FIOS is a solid option as I have had both. Right now I am on OOL because I am still under the $99 triple play with a free DVR and free boost. That deal expires in July and I will surely sign up for FIOS online and then call to cancel OOL. Depending on the deal they give me I will either stay with OOL or go to FIOS. I estimate with my bedroom HDTV and Tivo HD in the living room that it will cost me $95 + $10 (HD Box) + 4 (M card) = $109 a month plus taxes. You have to remember that Verizon charges full taxes on your telephone portion of the bill and this will add ~$16 by my estimates to my bill. This brings me to ~$125 a month but when you take into account the $150 back it comes to ~$118 a month. I consider FIOS internet to be vastly superior to OOL and you get more HD channels with FIOS so the extra money does buy you something. Two years at $118 versus ~$99 now which I am sure will go up to $140 at the very least when my deals expire. To get the best deal you must have a FIOS install number. OOL will use this to check your FIOS account online to see if the install really exists. Then they are allowed to offer you serious discounts. Don't even waste your time calling without this #. You can easily cancel the install if you decide to stay with FIOS.

DealSeeker

@optonline.net
Thanks for the advice Dealing3000. Looks like I will have to get an install # to get a better deal.

JDolan - I am looking for a reduction as I have talked to many people who are cablevision customers as well where their rates are the same or lower and they receive a better package than me (iO silver). FiOS has been available in my area for probably 6 months. I am taking a look at the finances and balancing where is appropriate. I like cablevision but I don't like the idea of paying more than others because I don't complain. I'm an easy customer but I also expect to be treated fairly.

DealSeeker

@optonline.net
Dealing3000,

I forgot to mention I just have the 1 tv/box/dvr. iO family (I believe only 'broadcast basic' is the lower cable option), 1 OV phone line, and 1 order of OOL (did not ask for boost, so I'm sure I don' have it, unless they turn it on automatically?).

jefe
Premium
join:2001-05-19
Northport, NY

1 recommendation

reply to DealSeeker
I could've written the OP's post.

I have been a more-or-less satisfied CV customer since cable first came to our neighborhood. My only issue has been the upward creeping cost.

A recent $30 increase pushed me past my threshold of pain. (I think most of us have one...a cost based threshold of pain.) I tried getting CV to give me the same deal they'd offer a new customer to no avail.

Bottom line....I have FiOS coming Monday. The $95/mo price for 2 years was just too good to pass up. I'm not going to waste any more time on the phone with CV. When FiOS is up and running I'll just take my boxes in to the walk-in store and cancel.

Verizon guarantees the intro price for 2 years. When the 2 years is up I'll re-evaluate. If CV is cheaper, I'll may come back. Otherwise...I'll stay gone.

To me this is simply a matter of the benefit of competition to the consumer.

Good luck to the OP. I hope you find a solution that works for you.

dealing30002

Chatham, NJ
reply to DealSeeker
Dealseeker,

If all you have is 1 TV with DVR and you are happy with 10/2 internet and the basic HD channel set (Extreme HD is another $5 or $10 I think) it will cost you $95 - $5 online discount +$16 DVR + $16 Tax - $150/24 = $116 a month for two years. Not as good as $99 no taxes but definitely no slouch either. As much as I get mad at Cablevision (they have wronged me in the past) I respect them because they deal with you when you try to leave. When I left FIOS they never said a word, just canceled me. It cost them ~$800 to wire me up and I left three months later due to billing issues. They never even got back to even with my account let alone made any money off me! From a business perspective I can't even grasp this concept.

The thing to remember is at the end of the day all of these systems are good enough to use and the differences are mostly minor in picture quality, channel package choices, internet speeds, etc. It is a blessing that FIOS has come out because it forces CV to remain honest with its pricing. May the best priced product win.

DealSeeker

@optonline.net
Dealing3000,

I just got off the phone with Verizon FiOS. The introductory offer of $95/month for 2 years stands, but if I want a DVR it is +15.99. They quoted me at $115.98 a month plus taxes and fees. No one could tell me what the taxes and fees would be until I was transferred 3 times. I finally got a knowledgable CSR who stated the rates (percentages) for federal and state, and said roughly $20/month. This would bring my cost savings to about $8-9 per month. Maybe I am doing something wrong, but I am not seeing the large savings as advertised on here.

10/2 internet is fine with me, as I'm not a huge gamer (anymore) nor do I do massive downloads (anymore). I can't find a comparable advertised rating for OOL, but I think it is 15/5?

I am going to try an online price quote to see what I can gather from there. I thought I was doing something wrong online with the pricing, but apparently not.

How did you get ~122/month for your service bsaed on those calculations for the basic HD service + dvr?

jefe
Premium
Northport, NY
I don't know if this situation applies to you, DealSeeker, but part of the savings to me is my moving my long time POTS line to the FiOS account. My phone line will be included in the intro price whereas now I'm paying $60/mo just for phone service.

dealing30002

Chatham, NJ
reply to DealSeeker
For you it is: Online is $5 less than on the phone, so ~$90 + $16 DVR + $20 taxes (to be safe) - $6.25 (monthly value of $150 over two years) = $119.75 a month

For me, I have a Tivo, so no $16.95 DVR fee for me, just a $4 cable card fee. It would be $90 + $4 + $20 - 6.25 + $10 (additional HD box) = $117.75 a month.

I save $13 over you since I have a Tivo for my DVR and do not use the FIOS DVR. I also add another HD box though at $10 for my bedroom. This is still a good deal. I now see that $10 more than this gives me the extreme HD package plus 20/5 internet. For $127.75 I am getting more HD channels and 20/5 internet over 10/2. This is worth it for me since I am a big HD buff and download a lot of content.

The base FIOS deal is a very competitive deal but still comes short if CV gives you back the $99 triple play deal (not to mention with Free boost and a DVR thrown in like I got)

jaa
Premium
join:2000-06-13
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Optimum Online

1 recommendation

reply to DealSeeker
I like jefe's approach. Life is too short to haggle with these guys. The sooner they learn they can't count on us coming back to give them a second chance, the sooner they will just give us the best price.
--
NOTHING justifies terrorism. We don't negotiate with terrorists. Those that support terrorists are terrorists.

DealSeeker

@optonline.net
reply to DealSeeker
This is the quote I wind up with...

FiOS TV edit One-Time Fee Monthly Fee
FiOS TV Extreme HD-200+ all digital channels

Special Offer:

1st month FREE.

Discount will be reflected on your bill.
$0.00 $57.99

[ 1 ] DVR $0.00 $15.99

[ 1 ] Installation Fees(1st 3TVs Free) $0.00 No Charge

Activation fee
Special Online Offer: No Activation Fee(a $34.99 savings) FREE $0.00
FiOS Internet Service edit
One Year Agreement - Cons 10M/2M - 1 Yr Acq
1st month of Internet FREE
$0.00 $49.99

[ 1 ] Wireless Router FREE $0.00

[ 1 ] Primary Computer Installation $0.00 $0.00

Activation fee FREE $0.00

Total* $0.00 $123.97

Don't know how that translates into a post, but $123.97 + taxes/fees of ~20/month = $144 for an introductory offer. I guess my math is wrong?

DealSeeker

@optonline.net
reply to jefe
said by jefe:

I don't know if this situation applies to you, DealSeeker, but part of the savings to me is my moving my long time POTS line to the FiOS account. My phone line will be included in the intro price whereas now I'm paying $60/mo just for phone service.
That situation definitely doesn't apply to me. When I purchased my home in 2005, I went straight for the cablevision triple play. I never had an analog phone line. Prior to that, I had an apartment with just cable (found some wireless internet and survived on cell phone only). I guess this competition isn't as good as it was made out to be?

dealing30002

Chatham, NJ
reply to DealSeeker
Dealseeker,

I am not sure where those prices come from but the FIOS website is misleading as they list the "LIST" price even though you get a deal price for two years. When I go to their site I can get the "Good" package for $90 online plus $16 for DVR plus taxes ($16-$20). This will cost you anywhere from $122-126 a month.

When people say FIOS billing sucks they are not kidding. If for some reason your order gets filled and you are not on the special promotion pricing it is not just a click of the mouse to get you on it, believe me. It is like they have to go down into the well like Ben and John Locke and turn the big wheel of time (LOST reference) just to get the freaking correct price that you agreed upon when you signed up. I originally got 20/20 internet for $44.99 when FIOS first came out. In hindsight it was clearly a web site error but I printed the page out just to be sure. Sure as the day is long my first bill came in at $69.99 and not $44.99. It took me hours on the phone to try and correct and just got to be too much. Good old OOL welcomed me back with open arms and even paid for my $99 ETF. Moral of the story, when FIOS billing is correct, it works. When it is not, cancel immediately and reorder. They also wait over thirty days (past the time you can cancel penalty free) to bill you for the first time.

dubenezic

join:2004-05-06
Jersey City, NJ

2 recommendations

reply to DealSeeker
Why does everyone think that when their promotion ends they are entitled to another one? Am I missing something?

After you have called CV to try to get a better deal after promo No.1 and they tell you no, you're only option is to leave.

There is no special phone number to call to get a better deal. You're no better than anyone else. Get over it!

JDolan

@optonline.net
said by dubenezic:

Why does everyone think that when their promotion ends they are entitled to another one? Am I missing something?

After you have called CV to try to get a better deal after promo No.1 and they tell you no, you're only option is to leave.

There is no special phone number to call to get a better deal. You're no better than anyone else. Get over it!
+1

jefe
Premium
Northport, NY

1 recommendation

reply to dubenezic
said by dubenezic:

You're not missing anything. It's Cablevision's right to charge whatever they see fit for their service. When there's an alternative offered, it's a customer's right to vote with their feet. That's what I did.

But I still don't really understand the practice of encouraging churning by offering bargain rates to attract new customers but not offering those same rates to existing clients.

I still don't hold any grudge against CV and I'll be keeping an open mind. Ask me in 3 to 6 months or so if I made the right decision. Time will tell.

dealing30002

Chatham, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to dubenezic
K2nnJ

Definitely not any better, just a hell of a lot smarter. Why would I pay full price for something I know I can get for less with literally 10 minutes worth of work every 6 months to a year? I have lived in my home for 2.5 years and have never paid full price for my TV and internet (saved ~$1200 in that time versus paying full price). When I was given the double play for $60 for 6 months I had it extended for another 6 months twice. When that deal was done FIOS was in town and I leveraged that to get them to give me my current deal. Understand this from a business perspective, my money is as good as someone who has not joined yet. Why would you ever let me leave when your costs to keep me are so small? Throwing a bone to your customers who are smart enough to price compare is the right thing to do and I actually applaud it. CV gets it as you only get the real deals when talking to retention. They make great deals to keep you and it takes all of 10 minutes. It helps to have real competition in your market as well. Saving existing customer relationships is off the utmost importance to businesses in these tough economic times. It would be moronic to not use that knowledge to get the best deal possible for the least amount of work. I like it when people save money so sue me. I have my entire block negotiated down to my rate so I know it works.

MxxCon

join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to dubenezic
said by dubenezic:

Why does everyone think that when their promotion ends they are entitled to another one?
because if they won't give it to me, I'll threaten to leave.
they are making a profit even with $99/month so it's perfectly legitimate to ask for a discount.
sure there is. if you want a retention offer, don't talk with regular customer service. talk to cancellation department.
i have $99/month for 4 years in a row now.

it's all about being frugal with your money.

--
Check out my awesome city of MxxTopia »mxxtopia.myminicity.com/ind or »mxxtopia.myminicity.com (the more people visit, the bigger it is)

DealSeeker

@optonline.net
sure there is. if you want a retention offer, don't talk with regular customer service. talk to cancellation department.
i have $99/month for 4 years in a row now.

it's all about being frugal with your money.

Did you have a new installation order already queued up, or did you just threaten to cancel?

max pl

join:2009-03-22
Hyde Park, NY

1 edit
reply to jefe
said by jefe:

But I still don't really understand the practice of encouraging churning by offering bargain rates to attract new customers but not offering those same rates to existing clients.
you dont understand this? really? REALLY?

@OP i'm not entirely sure what you want. but i think youre alluding to the fact that you want to scam them like a bunch of others already do, by telling them you'll switch unless they offer you a lower rate.

i know a bunch of people who call and complain that they'll switch unless they're offered the 30 30 30 plan or whatever the current introductory rate is.

RickNY
Premium
join:2000-11-02
Farmingville, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to jefe
said by jefe:

Wouldn't that then become their regular rate?

jefe
Premium
Northport, NY
said by RickNY:

said by jefe:

Wouldn't that then become their regular rate?
Bingo!

TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA
kudos:3
reply to jefe
said by jefe:

Unless I am mistaken in my calculations (I did them very very quickly) if you look at their P&L, they would at most be barely profitable at the Promo rate. Certainly it makes sense to keep/attract a customer if they are paying over the Variable Cost of providing service, but you really want to have your customers paying for the Fixed Costs and providing you with a profit.
--
Warning, If you post nonsense and use misinformation and are here to argue based on those methods, you will be put on ignore.

DealSeeker

@optonline.net
reply to max pl
said by max pl:

@OP i'm not entirely sure what you want. but i think youre alluding to the fact that you want to scam them like a bunch of others already do, by telling them you'll switch unless they offer you a lower rate.

i know a bunch of people who call and complain that they'll switch unless they're offered the 30 30 30 plan or whatever the current introductory rate is.
All I want is a rate that is fair and consistent with other customers. I understand there is a promo rate, and I am fine with that. What I am not fine with is other customers who have a better cable package than me for less money. That is where I see the problem.

dubenezic

join:2004-05-06
Jersey City, NJ
reply to MxxCon
I think Mxx and 3000 are full of crap. I have called for a better deal and they told me to go take a hike.

What makes you 2 so special?