spc
Search similar:

uniqs
dubenezic
join:2004-05-06
Elizabeth, NJ

dubenezic to DealSeeker

to DealSeeker

Re: Reduce my cablevision rates -- FiOS?

They may have fios or can install Satellite where you may not. That's why you probably didn't get a discount.

I left them for DirecTv because they wouldn't offer me anything. Now they call me weekly asking me to come back.

MxxCon
join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY
ARRIS TM822
Actiontec MI424WR Rev. I

4 edits

MxxCon to dubenezic

to dubenezic
Click for full size
choke on your words
bronxlcsw
join:2005-09-21
Bronx, NY

bronxlcsw to DealSeeker

to DealSeeker
I just took the plunge to try out FIOS and have the triple play package 20/5 internet. I have one home media DVR with 3 tuners one STB with access to the DVR and 2 Multistream cable cards for my 2 tivos. Just got the install yesterday. Honest opinion..... I dont really see the difference in fios picture quality on the HD channels. The difference was noticeable on the SD channels where the FIOS quality was better. In fact id have to say the CV pic quality was slightly better. I get the equivalent of IO Gold on all 4 tv's. My 2 year price guarantee is 152 dollars per month. My CV bill WAS 220 with the triple play discount (had 2 DVRs and 2 cable cards) I have yet to call the CV office to cancel because i have 30 days to cancel fios with no penalty. So far the hype of FIOS picture quality is that just hype.

GeekNJ
Premium Member
join:2000-09-23
Waldwick, NJ

GeekNJ to DealSeeker

Premium Member

to DealSeeker
As a previous long time subscriber to CV and now a subscriber to FIOS for the last few years, I can tell you that the rates are the same and not worth arguing over.

If you are willing to cancel/switch, you can always pay less each year. If you aren't willing to deal with the hassle, the costs are the same.Some might find CV slightly cheaper and some might find Verizon slightly cheaper based on their individual home setup (# TVs, # TVs with STBs, DVRs, channel needs, etc).

lew_b
Premium Member
join:2003-05-11
Poughkeepsie, NY

1 edit

lew_b to DealSeeker

Premium Member

to DealSeeker
My .02 on the whole deal ...

From a technical perspective. I believe that FIOS is the winner. The internet speed I signed up for is the speed I get, it doesn't degrade at night when there are more users.
Yes, changing your e-mail addy is a PITA, but keep in mind that my CV e-mail account is still active 2 years after I canceled. You can monitor it for a good long while to make sure you made all the necessary changes.
As for TV, the FIOS SD seems about the same as CV, but the HD pops ! The colors are much more vivid and there are many more channels. I have the DRV and it's OK for my needs. I know many bitch about the 160GB non-upgradeable size, but I'm OK with it.
I still have not received my first bill after adding TV yet, so that may send me off but so far so good with FIOS.
My desire to change from CV to FIOS was driven by the fiber technology. I didn't have any problems with my CV service during the time I had it. The bigger the pipe, the more 'stuff' you can get. FIOS is in it's infancy and I am willing to live with a few quirks for now.
As for 'why do you expect a deal every time your last deal is done ?' It's called competition in a free market. The consumer is supposed to benefit from it.

edit for spelling

DealSeeker
@optonline.net

DealSeeker to MxxCon

Anon

to MxxCon
said by MxxCon:

choke on your words
What changed to get the lower rate?

jefe
Premium Member
join:2001-05-19
Northport, NY

jefe to GeekNJ

Premium Member

to GeekNJ
said by GeekNJ:

If you are willing to cancel/switch, you can always pay less each year.
I am willing to cancel/switch if that's what it takes to pay less. As previously stated, I'm dreading the FiOS install. But I don't anticipate switching back will be a big deal should I choose to do so in a year or two. The CV cable will still be in place. It'll just be a matter of switching boxes and a few taps. At least I think so.
said by lew_b:

Yes, changing your e-mail addy is a PITA,.....
I don't use OOL email addresses and won't be using any Verizon addresses either. I have my own domain where my email will be for life. But even if someone doesn't want to go that route, with gmail and hotmail I can't see marrying your email to a particular ISP.
said by lew_b:

As for 'why do you expect a deal every time your last deal is done ?' It's called competition in a free market. The consumer is supposed to benefit from it.
Exactly! And the vendors involved always have the option of offering the inducement of the promo rate to retain existing customers. Cablevision apparently does this sometimes but not consistently. So my choice is to benefit from the competition in the free market.

GeekNJ
Premium Member
join:2000-09-23
Waldwick, NJ

GeekNJ

Premium Member

said by jefe:
said by GeekNJ:

If you are willing to cancel/switch, you can always pay less each year.
I am willing to cancel/switch if that's what it takes to pay less. As previously stated, I'm dreading the FiOS install. But I don't anticipate switching back will be a big deal should I choose to do so in a year or two. The CV cable will still be in place. It'll just be a matter of switching boxes and a few taps. At least I think so.
Other then you likely won't have any copper if you want analog lines when you switch back. If you can go all IP, then no worries.

MxxCon
Brooklyn, NY
ARRIS TM822
Actiontec MI424WR Rev. I

MxxCon to DealSeeker

to DealSeeker
said by DealSeeker :

said by MxxCon:

choke on your words
before i had $99/month + one russian channel, now the whole russian package is included in $99

DealSeeker
@optonline.net

DealSeeker

Anon

said by MxxCon:

said by DealSeeker :

said by MxxCon:

choke on your words
before i had $99/month + one russian channel, now the whole russian package is included in $99
And all you did was talk to cancellations saying that you were going to switch? Or did you have a FiOS install number already in place?

MxxCon
Brooklyn, NY

MxxCon

i don't have fios.
but our building was wired by nuvisions.tv

mech1164
I'll Be Back
join:2001-11-19
Lodi, NJ

mech1164 to dubenezic

to dubenezic
said by dubenezic:

Why does everyone think that when their promotion ends they are entitled to another one? Am I missing something?

After you have called CV to try to get a better deal after promo No.1 and they tell you no, you're only option is to leave.

There is no special phone number to call to get a better deal. You're no better than anyone else. Get over it!
Well your right about we are no better then anyone else. That being said. If I had a competitor willing to give me a deal I would also go to be looking to see what my current provider would do to keep me. It's just like cell phones. I used to be a loyal Verizon Wireless customer for years. Never had a problem with them. I wanted to get a newer phone all I was looking for was the promo rate that they were offering at the time. I got such a brush off I said screw you and went with VoiceStream(Tmobile later). This all happened before VZ and the rest got a clue and offered thing like new every two ect. Now if you tell your provider that you are leaving you are directed right to retentions and more then likely you will be offered something as good or better.

Personally If I got a good offer I'd be kicking CV to the curb. Before I did that though I would call CV and see what they would counter offer for me.

If CV doesn't want to play ball then it's their loss.
mech1164

mech1164 to dubenezic

to dubenezic
said by dubenezic:

They may have fios or can install Satellite where you may not. That's why you probably didn't get a discount.

I left them for DirecTv because they wouldn't offer me anything. Now they call me weekly asking me to come back.
So you voted with your wallet and left. Did same thing I did with VZ. Be happy and ignore CV's stupidity. Times are tough, we are all looking for bargains. If CV doesn't want to play screw'em.
Dude NJX
join:2003-11-14

Dude NJX to DealSeeker

to DealSeeker
Just wanted to confirm that you really CAN get a deal if you talk to the retention dept. I've had Cablevision for the past 4 yrs, with 1 DVR and Boost with the $30/$30/$30 deal. I just had it extended for another 2 yrs, including a confirmation from the CSR sent to my e-mail detailing the deal.
I've never mentioned FIOS, even though it's available to me. Just saying I'm going to terminate the service unless they can offer me a deal.

DealSeeker
@optonline.net

1 recommendation

DealSeeker

Anon

said by Dude NJX:

Just wanted to confirm that you really CAN get a deal if you talk to the retention dept. I've had Cablevision for the past 4 yrs, with 1 DVR and Boost with the $30/$30/$30 deal. I just had it extended for another 2 yrs, including a confirmation from the CSR sent to my e-mail detailing the deal.
I've never mentioned FIOS, even though it's available to me. Just saying I'm going to terminate the service unless they can offer me a deal.
I just spoke with retention/cancellation. They asked why I was going to cancel and I was very honest -- bill has increased over the years and I can get a better deal elsewhere.

The CSR asked me about who I intended to go with, and he mentioned the cons of going to FiOS and even said to google up the issues in NJ with lawsuits and false advertising, as well as giving me a number of fees that verizon will charge.

I told him that I am also concerned not only with the pricing, but other people I know/work with are getting better deals with larger packages than myself. Case in point other posters with the "triple play" and OOL boost, a coworker who went to FiOS, cancelled on them for billing issues, and came back to iO with the silver package for about $140/month all said and done. I also told him how the CSR's in billing or whatnot told me to go ahead and cancel, which he was surprised about.

In the end, I got the "triple play" again guaranteed for 24 months. Very helpful from this CSR, however unfortunate there was no survey.

Thanks to all who helped. I'll be saving $30 - $32 / month for the next 24, which = a savings of $768.
Dude NJX

Dude NJX

Good for you! Congrats!

HydroponiK
nom nom nom
Premium Member
join:2001-08-03
New Jersey

HydroponiK to DealSeeker

Premium Member

to DealSeeker
Maybe I should try talking to retentions again. I tried to get a better deal about 6 months ago when my Triple Play promo expired, but they wouldn't budge.

They really are holding all the leverage though since I cannot get any other service in my area besides directv...

MxxCon
Brooklyn, NY

MxxCon

so calculate directtv+dsl and argue w/ them on that.
dubenezic
join:2004-05-06
Elizabeth, NJ

dubenezic to MxxCon

to MxxCon
What is that supposed to prove? That you use Chase?
dubenezic

dubenezic to MxxCon

to MxxCon
I have Directv and DSL with VZ. I pay $50.00 for Directv and $30 for DSL. I am probably going back to OOL due to VZ lying to me on the speed offering.

But also take into consideration what you get for your CV promo rate. I get all the channels you wish you guys had, and actually pay less. My rate is locked in for 2 years.

I want to apologize for calling Mxx and the other poster full of crap. That is not how I operate.

But posting your bill pay screen doesn't mean anything. Post your CV bill instead.

DealSeeker
@optonline.net

DealSeeker

Anon

said by dubenezic:

But posting your bill pay screen doesn't mean anything. Post your CV bill instead.
I have to agree that this would show the packages/services offered and prices charged for them. What I don't get is how everyone seems to get a different deal.

My main beef was that everyone gets a different deal...it's like car insurance (or how it used to be). Gas stations don't work that way. If you are going to switch gas stations they don't sell you fuel for less than anyone else who fills up there, do they? Everyone should pay the same price.

MxxCon
Brooklyn, NY

MxxCon

local taxes
MxxCon

MxxCon to dubenezic

to dubenezic
if you know how to read you'll see that i use chase to pay my cablevision bill.
i'm not going to post my actual CV bill.
i'm not going to jump through any more hoops for you to prove anything.
you'll just have to do with what i posted and information i provided with that.
don't believe me? oh well, i don't give rats ass what you think about that. i pay what i pay for what i said i have.
Bobcat79
Premium Member
join:2001-02-04

Bobcat79 to max pl

Premium Member

to max pl
said by max pl:

@OP i'm not entirely sure what you want. but i think youre alluding to the fact that you want to scam them like a bunch of others already do, by telling them you'll switch unless they offer you a lower rate.
I still don't see how the service can be so great if he's soliciting bribes to keep the service. Does he do this at the grocery store? At the gas station? I can imagine the response from my barber if I insisted that he give me a haircut for $9 or else I'll go somewhere else.

MxxCon
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

MxxCon

it is NOT A CRIME to haggle.
it is also not being cheap.
there is absolutely nothing with asking to pay less for anything.
Bobcat79
Premium Member
join:2001-02-04

Bobcat79

Premium Member

said by MxxCon:

Try it at the grocery store, the gas station, the drug store, etc, and let me know how it works out.

Again, if Cablevision's service was so great, you wouldn't be soliciting bribes to keep the service.

MxxCon
Brooklyn, NY
ARRIS TM822
Actiontec MI424WR Rev. I

1 edit

MxxCon

read »consumerist.com/5119465/ ··· haggling
»consumerist.com/352120/p ··· agglecom
»consumerist.com/5203845/ ··· ospitals
»consumerist.com/5188915/ ··· ver-a-tv

let's not turn this thread into yet another CV bashing one!!
it's irrelevant how good CV service is. people are using their service and they want to pay less.

njrichie
join:2001-04-13
Matawan, NJ

njrichie to DealSeeker

to DealSeeker
You can always go somewhere else or use free TV. No profitable company is in business to lose money. You can use Free over the air TV and not pay anything at all. There is ALWAYS going to be a percentage of churn, people who jump from one company to the next and back again. They are well known to companies already.

And most companies now call these customers, "too costly to service" and prefer that they left as they cost too much money to keep. Surprising?

So don't be offended IF they turn down your offer to pay less.

jaa
Premium Member
join:2000-06-13

jaa to Bobcat79

Premium Member

to Bobcat79
said by Bobcat79:

I still don't see how the service can be so great if he's soliciting bribes to keep the service.
Sort of like companies that use retention bonuses to bribe employees to stay? Or companies that use contracts to force dissatisfied customers to stay?
Dude NJX

1 recommendation

Dude NJX to Bobcat79

to Bobcat79
said by Bobcat79:

said by MxxCon:

Try it at the grocery store, the gas station, the drug store, etc, and let me know how it works out.

Again, if Cablevision's service was so great, you wouldn't be soliciting bribes to keep the service.
Were you born yesterday?

flea markets, farmers markets, car dealerships, some electronics stores, construction supplies, gardeners, and so on... Yes it works out great.

It's called free market. Get the communist fixed price ideas out of your head already and go out interact in the real world once in a while...