uniqs

dcurrey
Premium Member
join:2004-06-29
Mason, OH

2 edits

dcurrey

Premium Member

DIR-655 New Firmware 1.30 (Read before upgrading!!!)

Looks like they released 1.30 today.

»ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Gateway/di ··· irmware/

Release Notes:
Firmware: 1.30
Date: 04/14/09

1. Fix DHCP server issue.
2. Modify the turn from "Network USB" to "Shareport" in the option of "My USB Type is:"
3. Add Advanced DNS Service feature.
4. Add SecureSpot 2.0
5. Remove the 3G from GUI
6. Fix LLTD wrong icon in Vista.
7. Fix reboot issue when connecting to Internet
8. Add Graphical authentication to log-in page.
9. Removed 802.11b
10. This firmware can not downgraded to previous versions.
11. Guest Zone disable SharePort support (USB spec v1.05)
12. New SharePort support PC/Mac (Requires Utility Installed on PC or Mac to work)
13. Router time is not reset when factory reset.
14. Fix schedule end time error.

Am I reading that right? 802.11b is completely been dropped.
frdrizzt
join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt

Re: DIR-655 New Firmware 1.30

I think it's odd to entirely drop 803.11B, instead of trying to make B/G/N simultaneous connection work. As my girlfriend has a wireless B palm device that she on occasion uses, I think I'm going to hold off on this release.

dcurrey
Premium Member
Mason, OH

dcurrey

Premium Member

What scares me the most is #10. This firmware can not downgraded to previous versions..

Why would they lock it like that. I can understand if its the default on new hardware but if I update to 1.3 I can't go back to 1.22b5 if it doesn't work.
Youngjm
join:2002-04-01
Ada, MI

Youngjm to frdrizzt

to frdrizzt
My thoughts exactly. I use a Palm Tx at times and the lack of ability to down grade could be interesting.

FrostyMelon
join:2006-02-06
Colorado Springs, CO

FrostyMelon to dcurrey

to dcurrey
I think they're putting it inline with the rest of product line based around firmware...I noticed this on some of their other routers (DGL's).

gate1975mlm
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Philadelphia, PA

gate1975mlm to dcurrey

Premium Member

to dcurrey
Is there a version without SecureSpot 2.0?

dcurrey
Premium Member
Mason, OH

dcurrey

Premium Member

Not at this time. I could be wrong but I doubt they will keep maintaining two versions.

gate1975mlm
Premium Member
Philadelphia, PA

gate1975mlm

Premium Member

Is SecureSpot 2.0 any good?

Why would someone need it?

hayabusa3303
Over 200 mph
Premium Member
join:2005-06-29
Florence, SC

1 edit

hayabusa3303 to dcurrey

Premium Member

to dcurrey
Dlink is starting to take the cake on this. cant downgrade?

Whats so bad is i bought a dgl-4500 and over in the dlink beta forums you have people wanting to downgrade to 1.02 and dlink doesnt care if you cant downgrade. They want you to quit bitching and move on with a broken firmware.

they keep this crap up im soon going to have to find myself a better company to deal with. Linksys,and netgear are out in my book.

edit no b? they are crazy i still have my axim 51v its still uses b.

dcurrey
Premium Member
Mason, OH

dcurrey

Premium Member

Killing B is not a big deal for me. Everything I have is at least G. Sooner or later it needs to be dumped. You would think they could wait until N is final.

I would try this but not being able to go back scares me. Dlink isn't known for proper testing of firmwares and thats putting it as nice as I can.
Reinvent3d
join:2004-12-06
Camarillo, CA

Reinvent3d

Good God, what the hell are they thinking?

By locking down the firmware from even reverting to other previous versions, they are just asking for more trouble.

I agree with the whole 802.11b thing. Why can't they just make it so that if N and G aren't active, then 802.11b should be able to work, or if N and G are enabled, then B shouldn't be an option. Removing a whole standard completely is just wrong and lazy.

Daniel H
@unisinos.br

Daniel H to gate1975mlm

Anon

to gate1975mlm
You can disable securespot anyway..

dcurrey
Premium Member
Mason, OH

dcurrey to Reinvent3d

Premium Member

to Reinvent3d
Could be they feel that supporting B is causing more trouble than its worth. Most people buy new routers for N speeds not the older B standard.
Reinvent3d
join:2004-12-06
Camarillo, CA

Reinvent3d

But, wasn't part of the Draft N specifications that it was backwards compatible? Or am I completely mistaken?

tipstir
join:2004-11-14
Boca Raton, FL

1 edit

tipstir to dcurrey

to dcurrey
Its seems DIR-615 has the same features can't go back to prior firmware and dropping 802.11b. I'll update both DIR-615 C1 clone and DIR-655 A3, I got taxes to do so that won't be right now.. So if someone wants to try it go right ahead. The prior beta was crap any way... So 1.30 how good is that and did they fix the issue with unable to load certain web sites using wireless feature?

Scree
In the pipe 5 by 5
join:2001-04-24
Mount Laurel, NJ

2 edits

Scree to dcurrey

to dcurrey
Since 1.30 will probably be pulled in a day or two, gonna wait a long time before braving this one. LOL (Current router uptime on 1.21 [11/13/08]: 30 days now.)

If anyone can find out if there will surely no longer be a securespot-less version, please post. For 1.21, it came out about 2 months later I think.

So tipstir, the prior beta was crap now? I thought you loved it?!!!

FrostyMelon
Colorado Springs, CO

FrostyMelon

Scree - LOL! (last sentence).

Well...I am curious to see how it goes...better be pretty damn solid since you can't revert back to previous firmware(s).

hayabusa3303
Over 200 mph
Premium Member
join:2005-06-29
Florence, SC

hayabusa3303

Premium Member

said by FrostyMelon See Profilebetter be pretty damn solid since you can't revert back to previous firmware(s).
[/BQUOTE :

look in the beta forums on dlink and look at the dgl-4500 at people bitching up a storm how they cant downgrade. mods respond " get over it where not going back"

Rambytes
join:2006-05-27
Saint-Jean-Sur-Richelieu, QC

Rambytes to dcurrey

to dcurrey
So, whe upgrade or not???

FrostyMelon
Colorado Springs, CO

FrostyMelon to hayabusa3303

to hayabusa3303
Well, from what I've read over there is that you can go back and forth with the beta firmware on those units? So, I wonder if it's just the retail release of the fimware...and what would happen if you try to go back, nothing, brick, ?????

tipstir
Boca Raton, FL

1 edit

tipstir to Scree

to Scree
said by Scree:

Since 1.30 will probably be pulled in a day or two, gonna wait a long time before braving this one. LOL (Current router uptime on 1.21 [11/13/08]: 30 days now.)

If anyone can find out if there will surely no longer be a securespot-less version, please post. For 1.21, it came out about 2 months later I think.

So tipstir, the prior beta was crap now? I thought you loved it?!!!
I never said in those words, I just said it worked then when it doesn't do what it suppose to then it's crap.. Right now that router is has 1.22B05 in wired mode only.. Downloads are quick though, Gig transfers is smooth. Wireless crapped out by blocking my ISP to my wireless laptop. I think this no 802.11b feature is good since I don't have any 802.11b nodes nor going back to prior versions isn't a big deal to me..
Azetab
join:2004-09-01
New York, NY

Azetab

this means I won't be able to play my Nintendo DS on Wifi..

gate1975mlm
Premium Member
Philadelphia, PA

4 edits

gate1975mlm to dcurrey

Premium Member

to dcurrey
Well I installed Firmware 1.30 and at least for me its working better then the older firmware 1.11.

With 1.11 when I watched AVI's movies on my wireless PS3 they would stop playing after a few mins. And I would get an error. But with Firmware 1.30 they now play without stopping and no errors

So Firmware 1.30 is a nice improvement for me!
Youngjm
join:2002-04-01
Ada, MI

Youngjm to Azetab

to Azetab
Thanks for reminding me. My daughters DS lite would be toast. What is D-Link thinking....

KGB1
@comcast.net

KGB1 to dcurrey

Anon

to dcurrey
Any one tested it yet?? Any feed back?
camfused
join:2004-07-14
Cary, NC

camfused to Youngjm

to Youngjm
I suppose one could dust off an old router and run it as a B access point only, if one still needs B access.

But, I do agree that dropping B is a mistake.

BTW, did the DIR-655 support A? A was also dropped or never adopted by most manufacturers.

tipstir
Boca Raton, FL

1 edit

tipstir

said by camfused:

I suppose one could dust off an old router and run it as a B access point only, if one still needs B access.

But, I do agree that dropping B is a mistake.

BTW, did the DIR-655 support A? A was also dropped or never adopted by most manufacturers.
Most home users have G or N anyway.. Thus to keep N stable who knows why the thought process in the programming room.

At the DLINK thought process center "Hey Todd let's dropped 802.11b! Nobody is really using it and we can't figure out why 802.11n doesn't work right with it anyway? Okay Bob let's bring it up a the next meeting and take a vote on it. All those in favor to drop 802.11b in all our Wireless N routers say I" Okay the I have it.. Drop it... Now don't let the customer no why and now don't let them able to go back to the prior firmware so that the FCC won't be on our backs. Til the next firmware release meeting is over!

dcurrey
Premium Member
Mason, OH

dcurrey to camfused

Premium Member

to camfused
said by camfused:

I think the A standard requires the 5 GHz band. Thus the 655 would never have been able to support it.
dcurrey

dcurrey to gate1975mlm

Premium Member

to gate1975mlm
said by gate1975mlm:

Well I installed Firmware 1.30 and at least for me its working better then the older firmware 1.11.
Have you actually tried to see what happens if you try to downgrade the firmware?

tipstir
Boca Raton, FL

1 edit

tipstir

said by dcurrey:

said by gate1975mlm:

Have you actually tried to see what happens if you try to downgrade the firmware?
Then use the 30/30/30 method to clear out the NVRAM before and after.

Unless they have a code block causing you not to downgrade by back to prior firmware.bin which can be check with HEX editor.