pike
Premium Member
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC

pike

Premium Member

Keeping water in shower

Hello,

I am looking for an (inexpensive) solution to keeping the water in the tub while the occupants are taking a shower. It seems after the females in the house take a shower, there is a nice-size puddle of water on the floor at the front corner of the tub. I have tried both of the products pictured and also am using a shower curtain with magnets to keep it in place... still having puddles. I have asked them to make sure the curtain is in place correctly and to be careful.. not sure what is going on here but water is beginning to cause damage. Any ideas? I looked at replacing the curtain with doors but the cheapest I found was $200 and thats just not in the budget right now..

thanks

flibby3655
MAGA
Premium Member
join:2004-12-19
Lompoc, CA

flibby3655

Premium Member

Make them take baths

Seriously, Are you sure the water is coming over the top of the tub and not leaking from under the tub?

pike
Premium Member
Washington, DC

pike

Premium Member

Fairly certain its coming over the top; there is a solid bead of caulk running the length of the tub along the floor and up the wall. It doesn't happen when I'm in the shower, but thats probably because I'm only in there for a few minutes. Is this a common problem? This is the first place I've lived that didn't have doors.
Expand your moderator at work

OldEODDude
Premium Member
join:2007-02-13
Northern PA

OldEODDude to pike

Premium Member

to pike

Re: Keeping water in shower

Place a sponge or folded washcloth on the top outside edge of thetub... touching the wall that the shower head comes out of. If that gets soaked, then water is likely running down that wall and off the tub...

Wring, rinse and repeat.

flibby3655
MAGA
Premium Member
join:2004-12-19
Lompoc, CA

2 recommendations

flibby3655 to pike

Premium Member

to pike
My ex would get out the shower to dry off and leave a puddle.

Maybe they're doing the same.

Maybe your with my ex...

Rxdoxx

join:2000-11-03
Middle River, MD

Rxdoxx to pike

to pike
I'd try something like a piece of plexiglas attached to the inside of the splashguard.

Maybe about 2-3' higher and 1-2' longer.
Attach it with duct tape to seal the edges.

Basically tell them it is a very temporary thing and you are testing/trying to see if that is where the problem is so you know if something like that will fix it.

Can't hurt to make certain that is what is happening before you start laying out money. I'd say you are probably right, but you could also play with the size. It may be the height, or maybe water is cupping in the corner and running around the far edge (which I've had happen).

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

r81984 to flibby3655

Premium Member

to flibby3655
said by flibby3655:

This makes sense. They probably jump out soaking wet and then dry off. You could buy some type of drying pan for them to stand in.

beck
MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road

beck to pike

MVM

to pike
If it's water while they are taking shower, then go to Menards and pick up a shower curtain that has a double set of suction cups on the edge. If those are used, it keeps the curtain tight against the wall.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru

MVM

said by beck:

If it's water while they are taking shower, then go to Menards and pick up a shower curtain that has a double set of suction cups on the edge. If those are used, it keeps the curtain tight against the wall.
I've also seen a clip on plastic bracket that works with any shower curtain that does basically the same thing.

The other suggestion that I would make would be shower doors. It may not quite fit everyone's definition of inexpensive, but a decent set of doors would still cost less then having to rip up and replace the floor.

tahoejeff
Premium Member
join:2001-07-01
Wisconsin Dells, WI

tahoejeff to pike

Premium Member

to pike
Tell them to make sure the curtain is sealed against that wall after the wall is damp. I've had this problem too. The water runs off the wall onto the rim of the tub, so pressing the curtain against the damp wall will seal it and prevent this water from getting to the rim of the tub...but I do like the way Sir Meowmix thinks!

whizkid3
MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY

2 recommendations

whizkid3 to pike

MVM

to pike
Its also possible, that they have to shower curtain on the outside of the tub, to prevent 'shower-curtain rape'. (That is when the shower curtain decides to attach itself to you.)

We use two curtains, one on the inside & one outside. It may be difficult to get the women to do it (as they don't have to deal with the repairs that are inevitably needed), but I seal mine to the wall just as tohoejeff discussed.

angelique9
Premium Member
join:2004-03-09
Alhambra, CA

1 edit

angelique9 to pike

Premium Member

to pike
is there a wall along one side of the shower. If there is and the shower head is pointed at the wall at any time, it may be running down the wall and around the lip of the tub.
Had that happen to me at my condo.
horsemouth1
Please Clarify My CSP
Premium Member
join:2002-03-13
canada

horsemouth1 to pike

Premium Member

to pike
I have this same problem in a few units. Usually it is a education problem. I find that the splash guards don't work in rental units as the tenant knocks them off.
Does your tub slope in. I did have one that sloped out as it settled due to age.

sdgthy
@optonline.net

sdgthy to pike

Anon

to pike
Easy solution; Install a door. Apparently you currently have a curtain and they may not be paying attention to closing it in the front, or water may be running around the top of the tub.

Tzale
Proud Libertarian Conservative
Premium Member
join:2004-01-06
NYC Metro

2 recommendations

Tzale to pike

Premium Member

to pike
I can help you out. Setup a webcam for us so we can get a better idea as to why there is water forming.
ctggzg
Premium Member
join:2005-02-11
USA

1 edit

ctggzg to pike

Premium Member

to pike
said by pike:

.. not sure what is going on here but water is beginning to cause damage.
Damage to what? Does your bathroom have a wood floor or carpet? I haven't seen a bathroom that wasn't designed and expected to get wet.

cowspotter
join:2000-09-11
Ashburn, VA

cowspotter

The problem is if the water pools. While the floor can handle moisture, a puddle of water will eventually leak through the tile floor. I have the same problem at my current rental. If I don't wet the curtain so it sticks to the shower surface then the water will splash out and pool behind the toilet. We actually had a water stain on the ceiling below the bathroom one day. I haven't had the problem since I've been paying attention to the curtain but it does happen when someone else uses my shower.
PittsPgh
Premium Member
join:2003-08-21
Pittsburgh, PA

PittsPgh to r81984

Premium Member

to r81984
said by r81984:

said by flibby3655:

This makes sense. They probably jump out soaking wet and then dry off. You could buy some type of drying pan for them to stand in.
Be easier to start drying off while still standing in the tub.

socalblitz
restore the constitution
Premium Member
join:2008-07-31
Fullerton, CA

socalblitz to pike

Premium Member

to pike
Your females are likely putting their feet up on the front ledge of the tub to shave their legs.....
nibyak
join:2003-01-28
Strasburg, VA

1 recommendation

nibyak to pike

to pike
I had a similar problem and the water was leaking through the wall to the floor. The water got to the wall through the opening behind the escutcheon (trim ring) behind the shower handle. There was a small foam rubber gasket behind the top half of the escutcheon that had failed and the water that splashed on the wall under the shower head ran right into the wall then out on the floor. I fixed it with a large roll of plumber’s putty. I also tried everything that you did with the curtains and shields. It took awhile to figure out because it didn’t leak if no-one was in the shower. Apparently the water splashed off of me on to the wall.

Boricua
Premium Member
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

Boricua to horsemouth1

Premium Member

to horsemouth1
Click for full size
Front of tub
Click for full size
Back of tub
said by horsemouth1:

Does your tub slope in. I did have one that sloped out as it settled due to age.
I have a similar issue with me taking a shower and the water getting on the floor.

To the op, I would get a level and see if the tub slopes as well.

PolarBear03
The bear formerly known as aaron8301
Premium Member
join:2005-01-03

1 recommendation

PolarBear03 to Tzale

Premium Member

to Tzale
said by Tzale:

I can help you out. Setup a webcam for us so we can get a better idea as to why there is water forming.
Be careful what you wish for...
lujohnson
join:2002-08-08
Oak Park, CA

1 recommendation

lujohnson to pike

to pike
said by pike:

Hello,

I am looking for an (inexpensive) solution to keeping the water in the tub while the occupants are taking a shower.
61999674 (banned)
Gotta Do What Ya Gotta Do
join:2000-09-02
Here

61999674 (banned) to sdgthy

to sdgthy
said by sdgthy :

Easy solution; Install a door. Apparently you currently have a curtain and they may not be paying attention to closing it in the front, or water may be running around the top of the tub.
If you mean sliding doors then I say no way, they are almost impossible to keep clean.

For the OP, teach your ladies they are supposed to dry off while IN the shower.

Bathrooms are designed for wet, a LITTLE water shouldn't hurt anything.

pike
Premium Member
Washington, DC

pike

Premium Member

Thanks for all the replies..

I'm fairly certain its not from getting out of the shower while wet because a) I have a huge floor mat to soak up the water and b) the toilet is directly adjacent to the shower, and the puddle is forming between the toilet and the shower (and yes I have already ruled out the toilet as the source of the leak).

I'll check the to see if the tub is sitting level but I'm beginning to suspect its something along the line of socalblitz See Profile's thinking, because it doesn't happen when I'm in there..

-Mike

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium Member
join:2001-02-13
Bulger, PA

tp0d

Premium Member

My two teenage daughters had this problem.. I employed a strategy, using this as reinforcement.. hehhhh

Sweet Witch
Be the flame, not the moth.
MVM
join:2003-07-15
Gallifrey

Sweet Witch to pike

MVM

to pike
Can you post a picture of your bathroom so we can have a better idea?

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed to pike

MVM

to pike
Do you have a dual layer shower curtain or the type of curtain that has a separate curtain for the inside of the tub and the regular one outside? Our inner curtain has suction cups to close the gap to the wall and it should cover the entire inside dimension of the tub.

If they are shaving their legs - they need to make sure the shower head is moved and they are shaving at the opposite end of the tub from the shower head.