spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Veesofnaught

join:2009-04-15

Sharing network with neighbors who are "bandwidth hogs"

I am at my wits end with sharing my wireless network. My wife's sister moved into an apartment that is adjacent to ours, and my wife came up with the brilliant idea to share our internet access with them. I warned my wife that it would be a big mistake but she told me not to worry about it. My wife only checks a few blogs, her email, and an occasional show on hulu but, for me, bandwidth is pretty important.

Well, it turns out that my in-laws discovered the wild world of torrents and now enjoy downloading television shows, CDs, and videos by the truckload.

I know the obvious answer to my problems would be to talk to my in laws about "internet etiquette" and "piracy" but I am working on it and it will take some time.

In the mean time I went through some steps to try and prioritize my connections to give priority to my laptop (wireless), desktop (wireless), and Playstation 3 (wireless). I have a D-Link DIR-655 with a 7mbps/1mbps connection and have done the following without any noticeable results:

- Enabled Port Forwarding for the PS3

- Enabled the QOS engine and set my connections as priority 1, 2, and 3 while the neighbors are at 254 and 255.

- Enabled DMZ for my PS3

- Setup the WISH rules, setting my PS3 to "Voice High" Desktop to "Video High" and Laptop to "Video Low" while my neighbors' computers are on "Background Low".

Playing online is just horrible and our internet creeps anytime the neighbors' computers are online. Am I missing something here? Is there a way to throttle torrents on the router or do I have to sneak into their apartment and set the download limit of their torrents to 1kb/sec?

(Also, sorry for the novel. I just wanted to avoid the responses of "Why are you sharing with your neighbors" and "just kick them off".

tipstir

join:2004-11-14
Boca Raton, FL
kudos:1
I have the same router, you can fix the problem but thus doing that would tie down your router even more and you don't want that to happen. That router can do 200 max connections could you image if they knew how to do that on there PC to patch the TCP.SYS to 100 max connections instead of the default 10 set by MS, but maybe they do?

You can limit the bandwidth wireless but you'll need to get a AP like those from Linksys that's very cheap right now. With that router and DD-WRT you can reduce the bandwidth and force them to use that AP instead of your main. But of course they'll start complaining..

7Mbps/1mbps isn't enough for them to download by the truckload. Again you need to give them limited access and get them off your router, the AP will give them access but you can reduce signal power and how much mb/s they can use. Put them on Wireless G cheapo router/AP but then they'll complain. Or do it this way say it's time for them to get their own internet access.

By-the-way which firmware are you using? Did you try the latest one for the DIR-655 1.30 was released on 4/09. You can schedule wireless access for systems. I would limit wireless access to their PC like by 1am it shutdown the internet. But then they will be complaining..

Greg_Z
Premium
join:2001-08-08
Springfield, IL
reply to Veesofnaught
Easy way to fix the problem is, change the password on the Router, place in a cabinet that only you have the key, and change the WAP password. If able to use DDWRT or Tomato, that even works better.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to tipstir
tipstir makes good points here. Veesofnaught, I understand that you would rather not hear the obvious solution, however, sometimes the solution is obvious...because it is the best remedy.

There is nothing that you can/will do that will make you look any less like a grinch to your in-laws. Any remedy, will render them feeling "cheated" anyways, yes?

Sometimes, biting the bullet, and telling it like it is politely "I'm sorry, but between us, we simply need more bandwidth than is available, I'm afraid that you will have to get your own broadband connection" is really the best way to deal with these things.

Anything that will throttle their access will not win their grattitude, and if you think about it, in effect telling them what they can, or can not do on line, will probably be looked at as more intrusive than just stating the truth, that the one service is insufficient for the both of your needs.
--
Deeds, not words

Mdoc
Ehh... munch munch... what's up, Doc?
Premium
join:2007-03-27
Sterling, VA
reply to Veesofnaught
Yep--"get your own Internet access."

Veesofnaught

reply to Veesofnaught
Thanks for the tips you guys. I know that I need to be vocal about it but you can understand my situation. My wife isn't on my side because it doesn't directly affect her and she'd rather be the "good Samaritan" and share, so it is an uphill battle on both fronts.

Anyways, tipster had a good idea that I hadn't considered about reducing the wireless signal. All of my connections are within ten to fifteen feet of the router while theirs are probably within 30-40 feet. I'll give that a try and see if I get any "complaints" and if it helps my connection speeds.

I'll update my router too.

No_Strings
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2008-13
join:2001-11-22
The OC
If it helps to sway your wife's opinion, any activity the in-laws engage in is being done under your good name. If your ISP disables the account or the entertainment industry enforcers decide to levy a fine for illegal use, it suddenly becomes your problem.

No good deed goes unpunished.

From a technical perspective, there are routers with decent control over bandwidth. You could throttle them, making their downloads slow and reserving a reasonable portion for yourself. They are typically SOHO gear - small office/home office - and more expensive than the average consumer product. Maybe you present it as: "The extra load means I need to buy some hardware. You can share the connection, but I'll need $100 to cover part of the equipment expense."

Either way, have fun with the conversation.

Mdoc
Premium
Sterling, VA
reply to Veesofnaught
said by Veesofnaught:

Thanks for the tips you guys. I know that I need to be vocal about it but you can understand my situation. My wife isn't on my side because it doesn't directly affect her and she'd rather be the "good Samaritan" and share, so it is an uphill battle on both fronts.

What happened to "I'm the king in my castle?" There's a lot said here.

Sharing does not make you a good Samaritan (much less a Christian) because it does not address their needs. Only their wants. This is what your wife is doing.

That your wife isn't on your side is indicative of an out-of-order household.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5

3 edits

1 recommendation

reply to Veesofnaught
Recommend this unit, often rebated to around $20 and buy.com. Its the ZyXEL NBG334W which has a built-in guest wifi, with its own DHCP settings AND CAN ALSO BE BW managed. It is firewalled off from your own wifi and LAN.

Provides the ability for you to share without compromising internet security on your LAN, and allows you to ensure they dont hog all the bandwidth.

What I would do is take your current wifi router and turn into an AP and use it for yourself, hooked into the NBG and not use the home wifi on the NBG so as to avoid using the same device for wifi (minimal loading). You can transition the current WPA or WPA2 settings and security code to the guest wifi lan on the NBG and create a new code for the LAN side wifi of the NBG (if you use it) or the DLINK acting solely as an AP switch, to ensure they don't have any further access to your LAN side.
»Wireless Networking Forum FAQ »Using a Wireless Router as an Access Point

DaMaGeINC
The Lan Man
Premium
join:2002-06-08
Greenville, SC
kudos:2
reply to Veesofnaught
Well, if BitTorrent is being used, just block all the ports for it. Tell them that they can check email and browse the internet, but if they want to torrent, they will have to get their own connection. Say, its just not enough BW for 2 people if your torrenting. Be blunt, dont be a p*ssy.
--

Have a Networking problem or question? Stop by the Networking Forum and let us help you.

Veesofnaught

1 recommendation

reply to Mdoc
quote:

Sharing does not make you a good Samaritan (much less a Christian) because it does not address their needs. Only their wants. This is what your wife is doing.

Ouch! I always thought "Happy Wife = Happy Life"

No_Strings
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2008-13
join:2001-11-22
The OC
said by Veesofnaught:

I always thought "Happy Wife = Happy Life"
Correct.

Don't take marriage advice from kids living their parents' basement.

Mdoc
Premium
Sterling, VA
reply to Veesofnaught
said by Veesofnaught:

Yes, anything goes these days. You have to compromise to be happy.

tipstir

join:2004-11-14
Boca Raton, FL
reply to Veesofnaught
said by Veesofnaught:

quote:

In-laws I have to deal with myself too I gave them wireless network setup and everything. I had also taught them how to use it and manage it. You know what once it stop working because of the DSL filter line was bad in one jack. They took everything apart and then lost the wireless router and the PCMICA card was all over the place. I say never again will I give them wireless of their own.

Just smile to the wife and say, yes dear.. In your mind it's no dear!