Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

JohnQPublic6
Premium
join:2002-03-22
Xanadu

Settlement reached with Magic Jack maker

I saw the following story in the Sun Sentinel and figured it might interest the forum. The only thing I see the company needs to do is to post a disclaimer on the front page and promised to do better. Sound weak.

quote:
Florida Attorney General Bill McCollum has reached a settlement with a Palm Beach County phone service company over allegations of deceptive advertising.

As part of the settlement, Magic Jack is to post a disclaimer on the first page of its Web site clarifying the eligibility requirements to participate in the free trial offer and respond to customers' complaints more quickly.
»www.sun-sentinel.com/business/sf···84.story
--
.sig

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium
join:2001-07-23
West Hartford, CT
kudos:1
The story says 'unlimited calls'.

amigo_boy

join:2005-07-22
reply to JohnQPublic6
said by JohnQPublic6:

The only thing I see the company needs to do is to post a disclaimer on the front page and promised to do better. Sound weak.
The South Florida BBB temporarily replaced MJ's "F" rating with an "NR" (not rated). The BBB website said they met with MJ around Nov. 25th and received assurances the company would work to correct its behaviors which generated so many complaints.

Three days later Dan began selling four years of service as five years, causing a huge uproar.

A month later he surprised everyone with a 30-minute call cap. Didn't even let his support group know (causing them to lie to customers, insisting there was no call cap.).

Promises, promises.

OTOH: MagicJack now has an "A-" rating[1].

I've always heard that the BBB is not much more than a protection racket. This proved it to me. I'm sure that the main difference between today and last November is that MagicJack pays its dues. The dues help the BBB communicate more constructively with MagicJack to resolve disputes (and to more constructively interpret MagicJack's business practices).

[1] »www.seflorida.bbb.org/BusinessRe···92003333

Mark

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4

1 recommendation

reply to DrStrange
said by DrStrange:

The story says 'unlimited calls' of thirty minutes or less
there. i fixed it for you.
--
When I gez aju zavateh na nalechoo more new yonooz tonigh molinigh - Ken Lee

BlueMagic

join:2008-03-30
Riverside, IL
reply to amigo_boy
Correct me if I am wrong but isn't the 30 minute call cap old news? I thought that it was changed to either an hour or 2 hours. I truly don't remember as I only sporadically visit this forum.

amigo_boy

join:2005-07-22
said by BlueMagic:

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't the 30 minute call cap old news? I thought that it was changed to either an hour or 2 hours. I truly don't remember as I only sporadically visit this forum.
Last I heard it's 2 hours. But, the fact that Dan can spring a 30-minute call cap on his customers without warning is still relevant. It indicates how he views his customers, and what people may experience when purchasing MJ.

Worse. He didn't even notify his chat support group. They basically lied to customers for 3-4 days, saying there was no call cap.

Not only did customers have a surprise pulled on them, but they wasted their time for 3-4 days.

But, heck, I've always said it's a fantastic bargain for $2.50 a month. If the price was $2.00 a month I'd probably accept a kick in the groin.

Mark

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
closer to $4/mo if you consider having to rebuy the dongle due to exhausted flash[LUCKILY if yours fails before you re-up for the 2nd year]
-
no, i haven't been successful in getting mine replaced.
--
When I gez aju zavateh na nalechoo more new yonooz tonigh molinigh - Ken Lee