how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

sleepdeprivedmom

@crescendo-ro.com

-1 recommendation

smoke detectors with a timer

does anyone know where can i find a smoke detector on a timer as well as a main circuit breaker disconnect which can run on a timer and shut off all the power in a home?

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
kudos:1

Why would you want to put a smoke detector on a timer?

MNark
MNark

join:2003-11-10
Saint Charles, MO
reply to sleepdeprivedmom

Why would you want your smoke detectors only working part time?

sleepdeprivedmom

@crescendo-ro.com

i suffer from extreme sleep deprivation and insomnia and ive read several places where RF fields can disrupt your natural sleep cycle. befoe i go to bed i am taking the batteries out of them and turning the main power off where are the breakers are, guess this is a fuse box? starting to sleep a little better. i wanted one with a timer so it would save me all this time.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7

My guess is that neither such device exists...and probably for good reasons.

Koil
Premium
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC
kudos:2

I smell troll, but what you're wanting a smoke detector to do is exactly counterpoint to the reason they were created.

So I go w/ cdru See Profile...doesn't exist, and trolls don't need them under their bridges!

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7

1 recommendation

said by sleepdeprivedmom :

befoe i go to bed i am taking the batteries out of them
A device powered by a 9V battery is not going to create RF field that is going to have a negative effect on you.

and turning the main power off where are the breakers are, guess this is a fuse box? starting to sleep a little better.
If you have no electrical devices on in your bedroom when you sleep, there would be no descernible RF field near you...or at least no more or less then if you turn off your main. It would be similar to saying that a garden hose with a closed off nozzle and the water turned on is affecting you. If there is no flow (current), there is no RF field.

You feel better because you want to feel better, not because the electrical wiring has a negative effect on you.

MNark
MNark

join:2003-11-10
Saint Charles, MO

I'm sorry, but when you're sleeping is exactly the time you want your smoke detectors working! The whole point is to wake you up so you can get the heck out before you get burnt to a crispy critter.

seaquake
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-23
Millersville, MD

I suspect that disabling smoke detectors, even on a temporary regular basis, is against the law.

If the smoke detector is in your room, move it outside into the hallway but not so far as to where it can't be heard. And if you think RF fields are causing sleep deprivation, move the electronic stuff out of your room. If that doesn't help, call a certified electrician. AND if that doesn't help, you should seek medical assistance to diagnose your condition.

yock
TFTC
Premium
join:2000-11-21
Miamisburg, OH
kudos:3

What are these "sources" that tell you that "RF fields" interfere with your sleep?

Nevermind that radio and television signals are an order of magnitude more powerful even within your home than any battery-operated appliance.

Ken
Premium,MVM
join:2003-06-16
Markle, IN

Unless there is something seriously wrong with your smoke detector it should not be giving off any RF field that could even be measured 10 feet away.

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·callwithus

Use the heavy duty, thicker, foil for your hat. It keeps the rays out better.

Seriously, smoke alarms create no RF fields, nor would normal background strength RF fields have any effect on sleep. See a doctor for a referral to a sleep clinic.

PX Eliezer7
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
reply to yock

said by yock:

Never mind that radio and television signals are an order of magnitude more powerful even within your home than any battery-operated appliance.
And the original poster should also remember that signals from cellphones and cellphone towers are all pervasive, and are passing through us all the time.

All sorts of signals are in the air, all the time. A 9v battery is nothing in comparison.

-----------------------------------

Disabling a smoke alarm is pretty dumb. And I say this as someone who has lived through a fire.

Daarken
Rara Avises
Premium
join:2005-01-12
Southwest LA

1 recommendation

As a systems designer of fire alarm systems, this is the most profound and idiotic post I have ever read.

Lady sleep in a fracking tin foil hat, that will keep the voices at bay.
--
www.pointofexistence.com

exocet_cm
Free at last, free at last
Premium
join:2003-03-23
New Orleans, LA

i1me2ao
Premium
join:2001-03-03
TEXAS

i can assure you that is in correct. i work next to 100 mega watt turbines on nights and days and never have a problem sleeping.
--
calling a illegal alien undocumented is like calling a drug dealer a undocumented pharmacist

flibby3655
Bully Spotter
Premium
join:2004-12-19
Lompoc, CA
reply to Koil

said by Koil:

I smell troll
Taking the bait.
--
The beatings will continue, until morale improves.

ydoucare

join:2003-03-12
Lafayette, IN

This is so retarded it's hilarious. I think you should wrap yourself up in a huge aluminum foil blanket at night with a matching hat.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

This is a horribly bad idea.

It might also make you liable in the event of a fire.

no_one

@PHNX.QWEST.NET
reply to i1me2ao

said by i1me2ao:

i can assure you that is in correct. i work next to 100 mega watt turbines on nights and days and never have a problem sleeping.
But you may have other effects good or bad. There is RF and then RF.

no_one

@PHNX.QWEST.NET

Just do not use say an electric blanket. No TVs or computers near your bed or on 24/7. Some of those air purifiers may cause RF etc. also.
Limit your computer time, same for TV during the day.
If you believe then it is also a cumulative thing.
As others said distance from an item is key. Standing looking in a microwave while it heats something up is much different than standing across the room.
Look for faulty items. Something malfunctions can cause odd stuff.
A 9v battery is nothing leave it alone. Throwing the breaker to the whole house is also overboard. Just turn off stuff, (not 9v batteries in detectors) in your room and surrounding rooms. Limit stuff during the waking hours. Have fun.
No high voltage power lines near your house. I mean high voltage like those on transmission towers not normal electric poles? I do mean nearby also like in your backyard not a mile down the street.

whizkid3
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY
kudos:9

2 recommendations

i suffer from extreme sleep deprivation
The answer too your problems is not an electrician. See a qualified psychologist.

sleepdeprivedmom

@crescendo-ro.com

thanks for some of the replies as i understand it from speaking with an electrician on the phone anything electric gives of RF fields even subtle because that is the nature of electricity and magnetism. so even a 9v battery in a smoke detector can interfere with my sleep. i did some research into stopping rf and evidently i can make a faraday cage around the smoke detectors using some metal screening. i also spoke to an electrician about a "mains timer" it took a while to explain it to him but he did say he could install it if i wanted.

until youve gone without sleep for 3 days dont throw stones, you have no idea what its like. last night with everything disconnect i actually got three hours of sleep which is amazing!

yock
TFTC
Premium
join:2000-11-21
Miamisburg, OH

No one here is discounting your disability, but you need to understand that the solution you're seeking is snake oil. A 9V battery pressed against your face doesn't even compare with the RF to which you are exposed from radio, television, and wireless communication towers. Those are signals you cannot turn off, so what good is disabling a critical safety device?

You're allowing desperation to cloud your judgment. If your problem is this bad then you probably need to seek clinical help.

Bobcat79
Premium
join:2001-02-04

i suffer from extreme sleep deprivation and insomnia and ive read several places where RF fields can disrupt your natural sleep cycle.

RF = Radio Frequency. Your power lines have electric and magnetic fields near them, but no RF fields.

--
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Sir Meowmix III

@205.255.240.x

said by Bobcat79:

RF = Radio Frequency. Your power lines have electric and magnetic fields near them, but no RF fields.
This is incorrect, As a ham it's very easy (and annoying) to detect QRN. Part 15 devices really like to emit RF and trash the bands.

Sir Meowmix III

@205.255.240.x

Things like Plasma TVs, fluorosecent lights, microwaves, etc produce RF, either intentionally or unintentionally.

Bobcat79
Premium
reply to Sir Meowmix III

said by Sir Meowmix III :

said by Bobcat79:

This is incorrect, As a ham it's very easy (and annoying) to detect QRN. Part 15 devices really like to emit RF and trash the bands.
RF starts at 9 kHz.

Sir Meowmix III

@205.255.240.x

RF is radio frequency. There are various types of RF, from ULF, VLF, LF, MF, HF, VHF, UHF, etc.

I'm sorry, again, you're incorrect. Please see »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_frequency for a table of frequencies.

Bobcat79
Premium

See »www.ntia.doc.gov/osmhome/allochrt.pdf

60 Hz is not RF.