uniqs
share rss forum feed

valvoj

join:2002-01-23
Cicero, NY

1 edit

How to forward USPS mail

Hello,
I recently moved into a new home and still receiving the previous owner's mail. How do I notify the mailman to forward this onto the previous owner's new home address?

LBDSL
Lightning Bolt

join:2002-01-07
Auburn Hills, MI

Re: How to foward USPS mail

If you know the new address, just write forward to: xxxxx.

However if you don't know their new address, and mail addressed to them is still getting delivered to your address, that would probably mean they never filled out an address change card with the USPS, in which case, if they aren't worried about their mail, neither should you, so just write return to sender, or toss it in the trash.
--
Lightning Bolt Technologies

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA
reply to valvoj

The previous resident of the house needs to fill out the change of address form at the post office. Do you have the previous owner's new address? If so, give it to the mailman.

valvoj

Cicero, NY

I don't know the new address of the old owner.

Caddyroger
Premium
join:2001-06-11
To the west
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to valvoj

As for as I know there nothing you can do. I have been here for 5 years now and still get the previous tenants mail. I asked the postmaster about it he said that they can not do anything about it the other tenants has to do the paperwork.
They said by law they have to deliver the mail to the address even 3rd class mail.
--
Caddy

runnoft
Premium
join:2003-10-14
Nags Head, NC
kudos:1
reply to LBDSL

said by LBDSL:

If you know the new address, just write forward to: xxxxx.

However if you don't know their new address, and mail addressed to them is still getting delivered to your address, that would probably mean they never filled out an address change card with the USPS, in which case, if they aren't worried about their mail, neither should you, so just write return to sender, or toss it in the trash.
Yeah, I agree with the second paragraph, here, but I don't think the idea in the first sentence works any more, at least not where I live. It used to. We used to write new addresses on the envelope, and the mail would get forwarded. Now in many areas anyway, with things more computerized as they are, I don't think they'll forward postage-free if you write the new address on the envelope and remail it. They'll return it to you, in my experience. It won't get forwarded now for free unless the addressee* fills out the forward mail order for USPS and then they use those computerized forwarding labels, and only for a limited time. After that, either the mail gets returned to sender by the delivery person or left in your mailbox, when they forget about the forward order, or when the mailing label says TO: so-and-so OR CURRENT RESIDENT.

*(Or the forward order can be completed by another authorized party, which usually does not include the new homeowner, but can include, for example, the executor of an estate after the addressee has died.)

icp1
Premium
join:2000-10-13
Saint Louis, MO
reply to valvoj

Re: How to forward USPS mail

Just write "RTS" (return to sender) on any mail for them, and it will get sent back to teh sender who will then stop sending it (after a while)

runnoft
Premium
join:2003-10-14
Nags Head, NC

2 edits

said by icp1:

Just write "RTS" (return to sender) on any mail for them, and it will get sent back to teh sender who will then stop sending it (after a while)
That's worth a try. I'll try it myself, in the next few days when I get something here that fits this situation (it happens frequently to me, too). But along with a big bold RTS, I'd suggest you Sharpie-pen out the automated bar code printed at the bottom of the addressee mailing label, or you're likely to get the mailing right back in your mailbox.

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

1 edit
reply to Caddyroger

Re: How to foward USPS mail

said by Caddyroger:

As for as I know there nothing you can do. I have been here for 5 years now and still get the previous tenants mail. I asked the postmaster about it he said that they can not do anything about it the other tenants has to do the paperwork.
They said by law they have to deliver the mail to the address even 3rd class mail.
And you will NEVER get rid of their junk mail, as that is usually addressed as XYZ or current resident.

One apartment I had got some really fsacinating catalogs... everything from Sex toy and Victoria's Secret to Office supplies.
--
»haywardm.com (Hayward's Key West)

Gotta Do What Ya Gotta Do
Premium
join:2000-09-02
Here
reply to valvoj

Re: How to forward USPS mail

Just put the generic "Not at this address" on it and the PO will handle it accordingly. First class is the only mail that would be auto forwarded, if there is no "change of address" filed, it will be returned to sender, Standard rate will only be forwarded or returned if the appropriate fees were paid beforehand.

"Change of address" are good for only a year, anything not changed by then will revert back to the old address.

I get mail for people that have not lived in this house for at least twenty years.
--
It is better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

4 edits

Oh heck I got a Jury Summons for the guy before me buying the condo (renting) that commited suicide on the front steps night neighbors were having a dinner party guests had to step across yellow police tape (shared stoop) for.

Good luck getting them to appear, unless they became a zombie

--
»haywardm.com (Hayward's Key West)

Irun Man
Spartan up
Premium
join:2002-10-18
Walden, NY
reply to valvoj

Use RED ink (ball point pen or Sharpie), write RTS-MLNA-UTF on the envelope and return it to the Postal Service.

RTS= return to sender
MLNA= moved left no address
UTF= unable to forward

You only need to do that for first and second class mail and parcels. Standard Mail is discarded anyway, might as well recycle that.
--
Don't pay ME back, pay it forward.

valvoj

Cicero, NY
reply to valvoj

Thanks everyone! I'll give the suggestions a try.