spc
uniqs

mattmill
join:1999-09-03
Brunswick, ME

mattmill to duked

to duked

Re: [ex-VZ] Losing sync

Ok, I am looking at opendns.org and it seems straight forward but my question is for a linksys router. On the first page of the router screens the static DNS entries are all 0.0.0.0 but on the Status page it is 64.222.212.243 and 64.222.165.243 is the 0.0.0.0 for auto detecting a dns server?

matt
lobster11
join:2004-01-19
Brunswick, ME

lobster11

Those 64.22... IP addresses are FairPoint's DNS servers. In Windows XP if I open a Command window and type "ipconfig/all,” then normally I would see those DNS servers listed - except I run a DNS Caching program.

I would guess you put in the DNS servers you want to use in the "static" DNS IP addresses, followed by the FairPoint servers if you have room. Then type "save" or whatever, and when you enter "ipconfig/all" again you should see the DNS servers are now what you specified.

PS: As far as the sync problems that started this topic, FairPoint is rumored to have been cut off by certain contractors and suppliers because FairPoint hasn't paid them. If vendors aren't being paid then FairPoint may have difficulty acquiring new DSL equipment to replace any that is failing.
MountainMan6
Premium Member
join:2007-11-18
Milo, ME

MountainMan6 to mattmill

Premium Member

to mattmill
I'm far from a networking expert but my understanding is if you have 0.0.0.0 in the router, DNS IP addresses are obtained by DHCP from FP. What you want to do is put the OpenDNS IP addresses in the static DNS entries.

mattmill
join:1999-09-03
Brunswick, ME

mattmill

said by MountainMan6:

I'm far from a networking expert but my understanding is if you have 0.0.0.0 in the router, DNS IP addresses are obtained by DHCP from FP. What you want to do is put the OpenDNS IP addresses in the static DNS entries.
That's what I did and so far so good. We'll see what happens over the next week or so.

matt