Premium Member
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC

1 edit

1 recommendation

Matt3

Premium Member

Good News

We have 150 committed to the protest in Greensboro Saturday and I've emailed links to local news agencies. Hopefully they'll rescind their plans here too.

(EDIT)

Stop The Cap is reporting the test has been killed in ALL markets. Can anyone confirm this?

Jeff
Connoisseur of leisurely things
Premium Member
join:2002-12-24
GMT -5

1 recommendation

Jeff

Premium Member

said by Matt3:

We have 150 committed to the protest in Greensboro Saturday and I've emailed links to local news agencies. Hopefully they'll rescind their plans here too.
I'm thrilled that there is such backlash and opposition to this. I was assuming people were just going to roll over and die and say "oh well", that per-byte billing was inevitable as some frequent posters on this website would like you to believe.

It's nice that something is going to work out pro-consumer and pro-innovation for a change.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
Jamestown, NC

2 recommendations

Matt3

Premium Member

said by Jeff:

I'm thrilled that there is such backlash and opposition to this. I was assuming people were just going to roll over and die and say "oh well", that per-byte billing was inevitable as some frequent posters on this website would like you to believe.

It's nice that something is going to work out pro-consumer and pro-innovation for a change.
I couldn't agree more. I just hope we can get our political figures behind it here too. This is a MUCH more conservative area than New York.

DaveDude
No Fear
join:1999-09-01
New Jersey

DaveDude

said by Matt3:
said by Jeff:

I couldn't agree more. I just hope we can get our political figures behind it here too. This is a MUCH more conservative area than New York.
Did you hear about those tea parties ? Maybe if look at who donated to these companies, you would want more conservatives in your area. I believe TW AOL recieved a significant sum for the democrats. Do stereotypes only apply to conservatives ?

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
Jamestown, NC

Matt3

Premium Member

said by DaveDude:

Did you hear about those tea parties ? Maybe if look at who donated to these companies, you would want more conservatives in your area. I believe TW AOL recieved a significant sum for the democrats. Do stereotypes only apply to conservatives ?
Umm, my area has been dominated until this last election by Republicans. I'm not quite sure I see the point?
Cod2
join:2000-07-05
Kernersville, NC

Cod2 to DaveDude

to DaveDude
said by DaveDude:

Maybe if look at who donated to these companies, you would want more conservatives in your area.
No thanks, lol!

DaveDude
No Fear
join:1999-09-01
New Jersey

DaveDude to Matt3

to Matt3
said by Matt3:
said by DaveDude:

Umm, my area has been dominated until this last election by Republicans. I'm not quite sure I see the point?
You said your area is "much more conservative" , which in fact means nothing in terms of pro/against consumer. Why is it the democrats get more money from media companies then others, or they side with the RIAA. I see no correlation between political party, and being pro-against the consumer.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
Jamestown, NC

Matt3

Premium Member

said by DaveDude:

said by Matt3:
said by DaveDude:

You said your area is "much more conservative" , which in fact means nothing in terms of pro/against consumer. Why is it the democrats get more money from media companies then others, or they side with the RIAA. I see no correlation between political party, and being pro-against the consumer.
Oh you read something into what I said that wasn't there.

What I meant was you don't typically see conservative Republicans going to bat in the media on issues like this. At least in this area.
FHBroadband8
join:2009-04-15

FHBroadband8 to Matt3

to Matt3
I knew it would be successful.

Thank goodness, Im sticking to Time Warner Cable for life. No caps means Time Warner is the best.

SLD
Premium Member
join:2002-04-17
San Francisco, CA

SLD

Premium Member

Until they try to screw you again!

fireflier
Coffee. . .Need Coffee
Premium Member
join:2001-05-25
Limbo

fireflier to Jeff

Premium Member

to Jeff
I'm glad too but I have this sinking feeling it's only temporary until TWC tries another approach to doing this or perhaps even under-the-table deals with other carriers to implement the plan simultaneously. . .

Gaff
Just like the gypsy woman said
join:1999-09-05
North TX, US

Gaff

Such deals would be illegal market collusion.

StopTheCap and sites like it will always exist whenever large corporations try to muscle in and do something that many consumers are so passionate against.

They knew they were losing the information war and that's why they put a halt to things now. We have to be vigilant because TWC or someone like them (AT&T?) is going to try this again and we'll be going through the whole process once more.

We'll win that time too, and again and again until usage caps are permanently disenfranchised.

BIGMIKE
Q
Premium Member
join:2002-06-07
Gainesville, FL

BIGMIKE to Matt3

Premium Member

to Matt3
Never trust a suit.

insomniac84
join:2002-01-03
Schererville, IN

insomniac84 to Gaff

to Gaff
said by Gaff:

StopTheCap and sites like it will always exist whenever large corporations try to muscle in and do something that many consumers are so passionate against.

They knew they were losing the information war and that's why they put a halt to things now. We have to be vigilant because TWC or someone like them (AT&T?) is going to try this again and we'll be going through the whole process once more.

We'll win that time too, and again and again until usage caps are permanently disenfranchised.
Protest and political pressure must continue. We need a bill that protects the consumer from this kind of price gouging.

kfsutops
Premium Member
join:2002-08-19
Lutz, FL

kfsutops to Gaff

Premium Member

to Gaff
said by Gaff:

I hear ya. But remember, collusion is a hard thing to prove. Someone has to snitch. These guys are all part of that cable alliance thing. All they have to do is get in a backroom somewhere and have all of them introduce it at once.

The records companies got in trouble with it. But look how long that took. They still are price fixing with the iTunes pricing.

You don't believe that in Beaumont there wasn't any collusion going on between AT&T and TWC?

Mactron
el Camino Real
Premium Member
join:2001-12-16
PRK

Mactron to Matt3

Premium Member

to Matt3
This would have set a terrible precedence.
Good news for all Broadband consumers this died.
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
join:2002-12-04
Bloomington, IN

jjeffeory to DaveDude

to DaveDude
Conservative, liberal, democrat, republican.... Whatever... We need a new party. One that doesn't suck.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
Jamestown, NC

Matt3

Premium Member

said by jjeffeory:

Conservative, liberal, democrat, republican.... Whatever... We need a new party. One that doesn't suck.
You know, I think there is a LOT of that going around these days. I believe I agree with you.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02

1 recommendation

Karl Bode

News Guy

So many of these issues we face simply aren't partisan. And we lose so much when people get caught up in simplistic "you have two sides to choose from" arguments. Though, I think that's the intent. It keeps people from uniformly instituting substantive reform...

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
Jamestown, NC

Matt3

Premium Member

said by Karl Bode:

So many of these issues we face simply aren't partisan. And we lose so much when people get caught up in simplistic "you have two sides to choose from" arguments. Though, I think that's the intent. It keeps people from uniformly instituting substantive reform...
Damn the man, Save the empire!

Seriously though, what really irks me is when someone immediately dismisses an idea simply because it's from the side they don't choose to identify with.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02

1 recommendation

Karl Bode

News Guy

It's easier than actually thinking.