Search similar:

uniqs
JGalt54
join:2009-04-16

1 edit

JGalt54

Riding Mower Accident...

Good day long time visitor never posted before though,

I had a small accident with my riding lawn mower in witch I fell off of it going up a small hill next to my pool, the seat safety switch did not disengage the engine and it continued on into the pool and fell in.

At this moment it looks as if little or no oil or gas has leaked from the mower, and I have shut down the pool pump just encase it does leak.

What I'm wondering is if anyone has ever had to remove anything like this from a pool and can give me a little advice? I think I'm going to try to build a ramp out of wood pull it up and out on the ramp with my other tractor but I'm a little worried that I will do more damage to the pool. Right now there is not much damage only where the deck scrapped the side a little and it ended up upright in the pool.

I need to get this out of the pool as quick as possible before my wife sees it, right now I've out some floats and decorations around the mower.

Thanks for yalls help.
Expand your moderator at work

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH

1 edit

1 recommendation

Pacrat to JGalt54

MVM

to JGalt54

Re: Riding Mower Accident...

I'm having a hard time gettin' a grip on this one! How big is the mower? JD, Cub, what? I'd say, taking this at face value, that you and three of your bestest buddies should be able to lift it out... once you get it to the shallow end.

You didn't do anything stupid like... tell your buddy to hold your beer first, did you?
JGalt54

1 edit

JGalt54

Honestly... I had had a bad day, got in an argument and had been drinking when I was mowing, I've never once done something this stupid in my life....

Also its one of the smaller 17hp Sears 42 inch riding lawn mower, would absolutely love to tell you the model number but I cant at this time...

It is in the deep end and luckily in South Florida its not that cold right now, I should be able to get a chain or rope attached to the front of it.

I think I can get a friend or two over to help me, but I've never lifted the mower so I'm not sure how much it weighs...

Koil
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC

3 recommendations

Koil to JGalt54

Premium Member

to JGalt54
Dude...if there ever was a thread for it, we need pics, man.

Pics or it didn't happen.

zen1
@optonline.net

zen1 to JGalt54

Anon

to JGalt54
i've seen that on the news once in a while.. not a good thing to do..i've even seen cars in a pool!. either get 3 guys to help get it out, or get a tractor with a front loader and tie a rope to the loader, then to the tractor, one rope on each wheel,(if this is a full size farm tractor, use chains) and pull it out, once you get it out, you'll need to drain all the oil, the gas, and remove the float bowl and drain that, along with any fuel lines and filter, then replace the fluids, also remove and dry the air cleaner, even though it appears to you that nothing leaked, you can bet your life the water got into all parts of the engine, and has to be taken care of before starting it!!!...
zen1

zen1 to JGalt54

Anon

to JGalt54
said by JGalt54:

Honestly... I had had a bad day, got in an argument and had been drinking when I was mowing, I've never once done something this stupid in my life....

Also its one of the smaller 17hp Sears 42 inch riding lawn mower, would absolutely love to tell you the model number but I cant at this time...

It is in the deep end and luckily in South Florida its not that cold right now, I should be able to get a chain or rope attached to the front of it.

I think I can get a friend or two over to help me, but I've never lifted the mower so I'm not sure how much it weighs...
ok, i just saw this post, it should be about 400-500 pounds. good thing it's not a farm tractor.

LawnRanger
@comcast.net

LawnRanger to JGalt54

Anon

to JGalt54
Call a wrecker and have them lift it out....before your wife sees it.

wilbilt
Pronto Resurrected
Premium Member
join:2004-01-11
Oroville, CA

wilbilt to JGalt54

Premium Member

to JGalt54
About 35 years ago, one of my uncles was on vacation and visiting my cousin in So Cal. He was from "The Old Country" and at the time was working as a Maitre'd at the Waldorf in NYC.

He decided the yard needed mowing, so was running their power rotary mower. He was pulling the mower backward out of a tight spot and fell into the pool, mower and all.

He was not worried about the pool or the mower, but rather the cash in his wallet. As he pulled himself out of the water, he was frantically shouting "My money! My money!"

He dumped out his wallet and began feverishly drying the bills with a towel as if he thought they would dissolve or something. Even at my young age, I thought it was pretty hilarious.

We kids jumped into the pool and rescued the mower, which started up after three or four pulls. There was a minor oil slick on the water, but we went swimming anyway.

Thanks for the memory!
sailor
Premium Member
join:2003-10-21
Long Island

sailor to JGalt54

Premium Member

to JGalt54
Any buddies with a 4x4 with a winch? Might try and winch it up and have you and another friend or two in the pool to help it up out of the pool so it doesn't hit the walls and cause damage....

BTW: This Bud's for you Man!

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· xIibhcKY

SandShark5
Long may you run
Premium Member
join:2000-05-23
Santa Fe, TX

SandShark5 to JGalt54

Premium Member

to JGalt54
You fell off the mower? There's a small hill next to your pool? The seat safety switch did not disengage? Yeah, right.
I've got a bridge to sell.
JGalt54

1 edit

JGalt54

Sailor I think that is what I'm going to do using my other tractor mower, and I have asked 2 friends that will assist me in getting it out of the pool the way I've been suggested, I think its liftable.

Yes sandshark I did fall off of it, the pool is built up higher than the the corner of the yard on a hill type situation, I was going up it and stumbled off the mower and it did not cut off and continued the next foot or so into the pool.

Reflecting on what I was doing at the time was stupid, I understand this and don't need it rubbed in, thanks for those who have commented on how to resolve it.

Edit: that video is about spot on with my stupidity...

SandShark5
Long may you run
Premium Member
join:2000-05-23
Santa Fe, TX

SandShark5

Premium Member

Show some photos.
sailor
Premium Member
join:2003-10-21
Long Island

sailor to JGalt54

Premium Member

to JGalt54
Did you disengage the off seat shut off previously or did it just happen to malfunction today?
sailor

sailor to JGalt54

Premium Member

to JGalt54
said by JGalt54:

Sailor I think that is what I'm going to do using my other tractor mower, and I have asked 2 friends that will assist me in getting it out of the pool the way I've been suggested, I think its liftable.

Yeah, winch it and maybe even have some plywood sheets ready to slide into pool to put mower on with you and your other friends in the pool to guide it.

NY Tel
Premium Member
join:2004-04-09
Smithtown, NY

NY Tel to JGalt54

Premium Member

to JGalt54
Sounds like an episode from "Jackass" and the following attempt to remove it will get you an instant "Darwin Union Card"......

Hydraglass
Premium Member
join:2002-05-08

Hydraglass to JGalt54

Premium Member

to JGalt54
The mower will way almost nothing while it's on the water. The 4 tires will provide almost 100 pounds of flotation - the mower itself will only weigh about half of its full weight in water (displacement/density/all that) - one person could probably lift the mower up to the point at which it would be starting to come out of the water. If you've got some 2x8's 14 or 16 feet long you could make a ramp, one person could easily lift the mower and set it on the ramp - and then i would just pull it out with a rope. If you can get by your pool I'd say use a car to pull it out, not the other nower. As it starts to come out of the water it'll become its full weight, and the last thing you need is to have it start sliding back down the ramp into the water. A car will hold it in place - just tie the rope underneath the car to something secure (bumper support / frame element).

I had to pull an ATV out of a lake earlier this year that broke through the ice - not something that happens in florida. The ATV rider was coming off the lake, the ice was 20 inches thick, but it had moved away from shore and then re-froze only an inch or so thick. The rider didn't notice as there was snow over it all. He broke through about 30 feet from shore, in water about 7 feet deep. The ATV didn't even sink - the tires provided enough flotation to keep the handlebars out of the water. I used my canoe to push myself out across the ice and tie a nylon strap to the handlebars and front cargo rack of the ATV. Pulled it to shore and out of the lake with my wife's Accord. (We were at our cottage - and had come in her car rather than my pickup of course... always happens).

In any case I think since it's warm enough to jump in the pool - this shouldn't be too bad of a project.

NY Tel
Premium Member
join:2004-04-09
Smithtown, NY

NY Tel

Premium Member

And his wife is not going to ever see any of this????

BillRoland
Premium Member
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL

2 recommendations

BillRoland

Premium Member

Nahhhh I don't think she'll notice LOL

Hydraglass
Premium Member
join:2002-05-08

1 recommendation

Hydraglass to NY Tel

Premium Member

to NY Tel
said by NY Tel:

And his wife is not going to ever see any of this????

I'm guessing he was hoping he could get it out pretty quickly - however she may notice tire tracks around the pool. But even so, I'm sure she'd be more sympathetic to the situation of she knew he dropped the mower in the pool, but manned up and got it out and cleaned up after himself, rather than coming home finding him sitting in front of the TV sipping another brew and breaking it to her that they can now mow the bottom of the pool.

Daarken
Rara Avises
Premium Member
join:2005-01-12
Southwest LA

1 recommendation

Daarken to JGalt54

Premium Member

to JGalt54
you could always run a breathing hose (water hose) to the carberator, and just crank it back up and drive it right out of the pool.
That worked for me and my riding mower when I drove it thru a 2 inch deep puddle and it died out.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

KrK to JGalt54

Premium Member

to JGalt54

Whoops.
KrK

KrK to Daarken

Premium Member

to Daarken
said by Daarken:

you could always run a breathing hose (water hose) to the carburetor, and just crank it back up and drive it right out of the pool.
Uh, I suspect the carburetor might be full of water at the moment. In fact I'd say attempting to run it underwater is probably a bad idea.
threetrolls
join:2003-04-19
Bellevue, WA

2 recommendations

threetrolls to JGalt54

to JGalt54
This has happened to me 3 or 4 times. Like Daarken See Profile said, get a breather hose for the carb. You'll also need a hose for the exhaust because the engine won't run right under 6' of water without it. Turn the blades over so the pitch is reversed. What we are looking for here is for the blades to provide some down-force when you fire up the engine and engage them. Fill the pool to the very top. Fire up the engine, give it some gas, engage the blades and you should rise to the surface easily. With the water at the top edge of the pool, you should be able to drive out no problems.

Just Rachel
occasional optimist
Premium Member
join:2003-07-10

Just Rachel to JGalt54

Premium Member

to JGalt54
I have little advice to offer. Just wanted to say that I'm sorry this happened and that you have to take all of the ribbing from the folks here. A winch or a "come along" are probably your best options.

Lurch77
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77 to JGalt54

Premium Member

to JGalt54
Don't forget after you get it out, drain every fluid in the machine. Refill, then drain it all again. Repeat as many times as necessary to remove all moisture from the internal. Oil that looks milky indicate water contamination.
Jeffdodd
join:2009-04-02
King, NC

Jeffdodd to threetrolls

to threetrolls
said by threetrolls:

This has happened to me 3 or 4 times. Like Daarken See Profile said, get a breather hose for the carb. You'll also need a hose for the exhaust because the engine won't run right under 6' of water without it. Turn the blades over so the pitch is reversed. What we are looking for here is for the blades to provide some down-force when you fire up the engine and engage them. Fill the pool to the very top. Fire up the engine, give it some gas, engage the blades and you should rise to the surface easily. With the water at the top edge of the pool, you should be able to drive out no problems.
Haha this is hilarious - yet sounds strangely plausible. Thanks for that!

zen1
@optonline.net

zen1 to JGalt54

Anon

to JGalt54
you may need a new battery too, as the water may have diluted the acid. even on a "sealed" battery, as they have to have breather holes in the caps.

Tzale
Proud Libertarian Conservative
Premium Member
join:2004-01-06
NYC Metro

Tzale to JGalt54

Premium Member

to JGalt54
I highly recommend you employ the help of a professional.... Last thing we need to hear on the news is that some guy died trying to get his riding mower out of the pool.

-Tzale

i1me2ao
Premium Member
join:2001-03-03
TEXAS

i1me2ao to JGalt54

Premium Member

to JGalt54
really we need pics, i go work saturday and can show them. glad your ok other than ego..