share rss forum feed

dentman42
Premium
join:2001-10-02
Columbus, OH
reply to six9

Re: Then just make it reasonable.

said by six9:

I am not necessarily against metered billing. HOWEVER, it has to be reasonable. Second, there has to be an accurate way to measure usage at my router. One PC doesn't matter when you have VoIP, 3 computers and a DirecTV receiver all on the internet.

So how about a base price plus usage? Maybe $10 for the line and $0.25 per gb from there. I don't have any clue how much that would be for me, but I can almost bet it would be less than the $60 I pay now.

The problem I have with metering talk is the $1 per gb. There is no way that is an accurate measure of bandwidth cost.
Even $.10 per gigabyte is pushing it but closer. .25 = $1 per 4 gigs $10 per 40 gigs, $50 per 200 gigs, so a $60 bill for 200 gigs usage, and that includes both up and downstream.

lacklusterbb

join:2009-03-12

When we talk about TW profit, let's be clear, last year's annual report showed that the only 2 divisions in the company that made a profit were publications and cable. Of those 2, cable earned the most. Their other "investments"--AOL and entertainment--were the huge money losers. So, what TW really wants if for cable subscribers to subsidize their poor management of broader company activities.

IMHO, the spinoff of cable from the parent company this year was in great part positioning in anticipation of net neutrality arguments over their metered billing plan. They've got too many captive markets in cable (you don't see them trying to impose obscene rate hikes on their publications--they know that market is too competitive and that they'd lose subscribers). It's clear that something needs to be done in this country to keep our pipes open, innovation occurring, and the Internet (the creation funded by the US taxpayer) healthy in it's birthplace. I really think there needs to be restrictions about the pipes being owned by any entity related to a content provider, period. Greed is too strong a human motive to control.

six9

join:2001-12-03
Atlanta, GA

1 edit
reply to dentman42

said by dentman42:

Even $.10 per gigabyte is pushing it but closer. .25 = $1 per 4 gigs $10 per 40 gigs, $50 per 200 gigs, so a $60 bill for 200 gigs usage, and that includes both up and downstream.
I base my numbers on the assumption that Comcast gives me 250gb for $60. Note, I have to pay more because I don't have their TV service.