how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

FrostyMelon

join:2006-02-06
Colorado Springs, CO

question about upstream channel ID, it's frequency...etc

Comcast able to change the upstream channel on the fly?

I've rebooted my modem the past couple of evenings (maybe QAM64) and noticed after reboot the channel ID is 4 @ 33000000Hz....when I log back in the next day it's moved to channel ID 6 at 28000000Hz...and looking through logs there is no reboot during the night.

And, how big of a difference would a '33'Hz channel be over a '28'? (stripped all the zero's out)

...and why would the channel ID's change, traffic, etc?

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4

its all what the modems syncs up to at the CMTS...if a certain freq is crowded itll kick over to another...

RR Conductor
NWP RR Inc.,serving NW CA
Premium
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to FrostyMelon

My upstream has always been 33000000 Hz, Channel ID 1, it never changes.

FrostyMelon

join:2006-02-06
Colorado Springs, CO

Weird...mine goes between channel ID 6 and 4 all the time.

Cjaiceman
Premium,MVM
join:2004-10-12
Parker, CO
kudos:2
reply to RR Conductor

Same, mine has always been at 33MHz channel ID 3. Well, up until they upgraded to D2, now its at 36MHz channel ID 5, but has been steady on that channel.

If your modem is changing all the time it could indicate that those channels are very busy, in which case D2 could help with that.
--
Duct tape is like The Force – it has a light side and a dark side, and it binds the Universe together

RR Conductor
NWP RR Inc.,serving NW CA
Premium
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
kudos:1

We're on DOCSIS 2.0 here too.

rfsignals

@mc.videotron.ca
reply to FrostyMelon

There's nothing to worry about frequency changes. They do that for load balancing, when there is too many traffic on one particular channel or if there is interferencies near an upstream freqency that can affect the customers, so they change the frequency until the problem is fixed.