uniqs

magicjimmy
join:2006-03-23
Tucson, AZ

magicjimmy to mityfowl

to mityfowl

Re: Approximate cost for labor to pour & finish concrete

said by mityfowl:

Do you really think this man needs footings for a deck?
You sure don't in Dallas.
You do if you're going to put corner posts on it to support any kind of roof structure.
said by mityfowl:

I don't think the ground EVER freezes in Tuson.
No deep hard, freezes... But, it does freeze. Almost every winter. Freezing is below 32 for a couple hours right???

mityfowl
Premium Member
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

mityfowl

Premium Member

That doesn't mean the ground freezes and that's what counts.

Now in N. Illinois (for example) the ground freezes to 32" on some winters and you have to take that into account. So there you need 36" footings.
mityfowl

mityfowl to magicjimmy

Premium Member

to magicjimmy
Your really over engineering this.

Just figure out the deck and do it.

Use curves instead of squares.

Have fun. Good luck.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin to mityfowl

Mod

to mityfowl
Footings are not only for freeze protection but also to give structural strength for the slab. Whether or not they need to be a big as proposed I would definitely add some beams if I didn't want it to break. It is much easier to over-engineer than to tear it out and redo it later!
horsemouth1
Please Clarify My CSP
Premium Member
join:2002-03-13
canada

horsemouth1

Premium Member

said by robbin:

Footings are not only for freeze protection but also to give structural strength for the slab. Whether or not they need to be a big as proposed I would definitely add some beams if I didn't want it to break. It is much easier to over-engineer than to tear it out and redo it later!
How true. Just one question what do you mean by beams.

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

Around here they call them beams. My guess is that a footing is more to get below the freeze line. A beam is to provide strength. They not only run around the perimeter of a slab, but also in a grid pattern with larger slabs. Beams in a home slab are usually 12 x 12 with rebar in them on a 12 to 16 foot spacing between them. There is no real reason to use remesh if you properly install and tie rebar. The beams would have stirrups as well as pieces running the length of the beam and then the slab would probably have it on 12 in centers in both directions.
horsemouth1
Please Clarify My CSP
Premium Member
canada

horsemouth1

Premium Member

I think I understand. We call that a mat. I have put footings 20ft. below grade and our frost line is only 3ft.
We use footings for support.
I think the op has done his home work and will be fine. I bet he even knows how many days to keep the slab wet after it is finished.

mityfowl
Premium Member
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

1 edit

mityfowl

Premium Member

20' footings for a deck! WOW

Decks and fences aren't even consided perminate stuckture.

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

robbin to horsemouth1

Mod

to horsemouth1
said by horsemouth1:

our frost line is only 3ft.
Around here the frost line depends on how tall the grass was before the freeze! Let's just say that 1" would be really stretching it on a 100 year freeze. The footing, beams, mat are only for the purpose of strength and it is all done in one pour.

Ken
MVM
join:2003-06-16
Markle, IN

Ken to robbin

MVM

to robbin
Around here we use the term footer for what you called a beam. Same thing, just a different name. While we do put our footers down 36" to get below the frost line, it doesn't change the engineering of the footer. Just instead of placing it on the surface you put it down in a trench, and then build a stem wall on top of it.
horsemouth1
Please Clarify My CSP
Premium Member
canada

horsemouth1 to robbin

Premium Member

to robbin
So what you are talking about is a trench filled with concrete?
horsemouth1

horsemouth1 to mityfowl

Premium Member

to mityfowl
said by mityfowl:

20' footings for a deck! WOW

Decks and fences aren't even consided perminate stuckture.
What can I say I build quality buildings. Often we go well below 100 ft. using rock and or soil plugs.

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

robbin to horsemouth1

Mod

to horsemouth1
said by horsemouth1:

Yes -- on a small slab, just the perimeter -- on larger in a grid, perimeter and throughout the center. It is all done as a monolithic pour.

I would think that the OP's design would qualify as a floating slab where it does not matter if there is anything supporting it as far as bedrock, etc. The slab is structurally sound and will not break and the footings hold it in place.
horsemouth1
Please Clarify My CSP
Premium Member
canada

horsemouth1

Premium Member

"monolithic pour" I understand that. We just would never call that a footing.

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

That is why I brought up the term "beam". I thought that a footing would be poured separately from a slab.

magicjimmy
Tucson, AZ

magicjimmy to robbin

to robbin
said by robbin:
said by horsemouth1:

Yes -- on a small slab, just the perimeter -- on larger in a grid, perimeter and throughout the center. It is all done as a monolithic pour.

I would think that the OP's design would qualify as a floating slab where it does not matter if there is anything supporting it as far as bedrock, etc. The slab is structurally sound and will not break and the footings hold it in place.
Thats the plan...
horsemouth1
Please Clarify My CSP
Premium Member
canada

horsemouth1

Premium Member

Just curious are you going to spend the extra to have the mix tested. Air,slump ect?

magicjimmy
Tucson, AZ

magicjimmy to horsemouth1

to horsemouth1
said by horsemouth1:

I think the op has done his home work and will be fine.
Thank you!
said by horsemouth1:

I bet he even knows how many days to keep the slab wet after it is finished.
28 days for 85% strength...

Also I have changed my mind.

With further research I have found local codes may require slab electrical bonding to the load center if I use rebar or metal mesh in the slab. I am probably going to go with 3000psi concrete with fiberglass reinforcing mixed in. That way, no metal, no bonding required.

Comments?
magicjimmy

1 edit

magicjimmy to horsemouth1

to horsemouth1
said by horsemouth1:

Just curious are you going to spend the extra to have the mix tested. Air,slump ect?
Since I will be purchasing from a known quality plant, no. That would qualify as overkill for a hot tub pad. Even in my opinion...
horsemouth1
Please Clarify My CSP
Premium Member
canada

horsemouth1 to magicjimmy

Premium Member

to magicjimmy
said by magicjimmy:

said by horsemouth1:

I think the op has done his home work and will be fine.
Thank you!
said by horsemouth1:

I bet he even knows how many days to keep the slab wet after it is finished.
28 days for 85% strength...

Also I have changed my mind.

With further research I have found local codes may require slab electrical bonding to the load center if I use rebar or metal mesh in the slab. I am probably going to go with 3000psi concrete with fiberglass reinforcing mixed in. That way, no metal, no bonding required.

Comments?
I like 3000 psi if kept wet. and the fiber is ok with me. My only question is how much per yard?
I will add that it is good that you trust your truck drivers because in my country they are known as crooks.

magicjimmy
Tucson, AZ

magicjimmy

My wife works for a major commercial construction company in the area and has secured a promise for best price from the concrete supplier they use. And they have their own delivery trucks.