how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

reubenray

join:2005-10-22
Pearl River, LA

[E-mail] Accessing Bellsouth E-Mail

Is there a way to access my Bellsouth e-mail account using Comcast internet service? I know I can using webmail, but was wondering if I could actually access my existing Bellsouth e-mail account. I use Thunderbird to access my Bellsouth account now, but will be forced to use Comcast internet in about a week. I will still have my Bellsouth account active.

Greg_Z
Premium
join:2001-08-08
Springfield, IL
Same as you always have been doing it BCC (Before ComCast).

Canezoid
End of line

join:2001-02-16
Powder Springs, GA
reply to reubenray
I'm doing it right now, have both setup in Outlook Express, no probs.

reubenray

Pearl River, LA
I just got Comcast up and running. It pulled in my Bellsouth mail, but will not send out anything.

What do I need to change?

Greg_Z
Premium
Springfield, IL
Check your SMTP settings whether you are using CC or BS. If it was me, I would access BS from their web interface if through my.yahoo.com, then through Outlook, Thunderbird, etc. Just to keep things simple.

reubenray

Pearl River, LA
I am using Thunderbird and the SMTP setting is mail.bellsouth.net.

So do I need to change this to a Comcast SMTP setting?

Greg_Z
Premium
Springfield, IL
Check BS's SMTP settings. Especially if they use Port 25, see if they use a SSL or TSL port.

reubenray

Pearl River, LA
It is at port 25 and neither are checked. The "no" is checked.

Greg_Z
Premium
Springfield, IL
Then it will not work. You may have to go with CC's, due to they use a SSL port. Check Bellsouth's FAQ on SMTP settings if you do with to still use them to send email.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 edit
reply to reubenray
said by reubenray:

I am using Thunderbird and the SMTP setting is mail.bellsouth.net.
said by reubenray:

If you are still able to receive your POP3 BellSouth email using mail.bellsouth.net, then these setting should work:

Try using fmailhost.isp.att.net, SSL, port 465 for SMTP settings if you want to use an AT&T/BellSouth SMTP server to send the mail. You will need to authenticate if you use this SMTP server.

You might also want to think about using the AT&T/BellSouth SSL POP3 access for retrieving email (fpostoffice.isp.att.net, SSL, port 995), but that is probably not necessary if your PC will only be used from your Comcast HSI residential connection. I have found that with my notebook, some companies/organizations block external port 110 POP3 access, but allow external port 995 SSL POP3 access, and I use the AT&T (and Comcast) port 995 SSL POP3 servers for that reason.

These screen capture images (the actual email address info has been masked/changed) from my SeaMonkey email setup might help you to visualize the similar Thunderbird settings:

--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
»portscan.dcs-net.net
»nature-pics.com

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to reubenray
said by reubenray:

Have you checked the AT&T Southeast forum for Bellsouth server information?

»AT&T Southeast Forum FAQ »How do I configure my email client for Bellsouth email?

The former Bellsouth region isn't the same as I a familiar with in a former SBC region, and AT&T is redirecting me to the wrong pages for Bellsouth information. I believe you should be able to access the legacy Bellsouth SMTP message submission servers through a port other than port 25, but I can't prove it.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 edit
said by NormanS:
Have you checked the AT&T Southeast forum for Bellsouth server information?
The AT&T Southeast forum email FAQ is woefully out of date, and only contains information for off-net access for users who have migrated to the AT&T/Yahoo platform.

said by NormanS:

I believe you should be able to access the legacy Bellsouth SMTP message submission servers through a port other than port 25, but I can't prove it.
The legacy mail.bellsouth.net server only works as a mail submission server on port 25, and only from an att.net or bellsouth.net connection. The off-net server for att.net and bellsouth.net is fmailhost.isp.att.net, SSL, port 465 (and unlike the legacy mail.bellsouth.net server, this server requires authentication).

I use fmailhost.isp.att.net, SSL, port 465 for mail submission from my notebook because it seems to work everywhere that port 465 is not blocked and I only have to authenticate using a primary AT&T account ID no matter what the "from" or "reply to" says in the email. This server accepts email for authenticated att.net and bellsouth.net accounts, and the only times it has not worked for me has been on a few networks that were so tightly locked down that they blocked all external connections except to a few selected http sites (you might be surprised at how many companies and organizations block access to www.dslreports.com).

I have tested the comcast.net port 587 and SSL port 465 servers, and they also seemed to work universally. I personally prefer to use the isp.att.net server because (in my own personal experience) it seemed to be more reliable and also have a faster output queue than the comcast.net server. It is possible that some users might have the opposite experience.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
»portscan.dcs-net.net
»nature-pics.com

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by NetFixer:

The legacy mail.bellsouth.net server only works as a mail submission server on port 25, and only from an att.net or bellsouth.net connection. The off-net server for att.net and bellsouth.net is fmailhost.isp.att.net, SSL, port 465 (and unlike the legacy mail.bellsouth.net server, this server requires authentication).
Well. As I said, AT&T wants to redirect me to what it thinks is the site I need to get help. Based on my ATTIS IP address. Makes it a pain for me to see what is really on the site for you AT&T Southeast folk. Probably a nice touch, to keep people from accidentally landing on pages with incorrect information for them. But tough for trying to figure out how the other half works, when one is curious to know how it works, over there.
--
Norman

heat84
Bit Torrent Apologist

join:2004-03-11
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to reubenray
I thought ISP's blocked port 25 so you could only send E-Mail through their(the ISP that your connected to) SMTP servers.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
ISPs don't care if you use another SMTP server than their own. ISPs do care about receiving complaints from email admins about ISP customers hitting their gateway mail servers from residential IP connections, which should not be trying to deliver email to those gateway mail servers. Because gateway mail servers must always listen on port 25, by blocking residential customer access to port 25, such unwanted connection attempts are blocked.

Port 25 should only be used for transfer of email between delivery systems; there is an RFC specified port for message submission, that that is not port 25.
--
Norman