Blessed
MVM
join:2003-01-26
Westland, MI

5 recommendations

usa2k

MVM

[FP] Foldy 2 status.

FYI: I have been gathering all the PC motherboards and such to hand off to parkut See Profile the end of this month. That is in a fairly ready state since things do not have to be packed for travel by a shipping company. I appreciate this very much.

I also intend to let Foldy2-14 finish a last unit and pack it in the original Dell Box awaiting its next home. (Which I think was possibly temporarily going to parkut See Profile too.)

Some day when life is rich and new again, I may be available again as an OP. In the meantime, I'll have plenty to keep me busy. I love every moment with our Helix family!

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

join:2001-08-19

2 recommendations

Sunny

Thank you, Jim, for just everything.

Here's hoping that "life rich and new" comes very soon for you and yours.

mouseferatu
Too many cats, Too many mice
MVM
join:2004-03-16
Im not sure

1 recommendation

mouseferatu to usa2k

MVM

to usa2k
I surely appreciate all of the care and feeding of Foldy's that you have donated so generously over the years as an op, Jim.

I would also personally like to thank you for the extra mile that you went during the time that you served on the BOD with me.

There is a great deal of equipment accounted for and collected due to your efforts then, and your willingness to simply take anything that had no "home" made the whole project run more smoothly (and made my life much easier).

I also hope that all good things come for you and yours, and that the immediate future looks brighter quickly!

TwoFrogs
Times Fun when You're Having Flies
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Redlands, CA

2 recommendations

TwoFrogs to usa2k

MVM

to usa2k
While all FP members have made valuable contributions, you have gone far above and beyond the call of duty in all that you have done for this project, Jim. We are all so much the better for your work and dedication.

I, too, hope that new doors open wide for you, and soon.

parkut
Crunch Addict
MVM
join:2001-12-15
Clinton Township, MI

4 recommendations

parkut

MVM

Foldy 2 (A Dell Inspiron 530 Quad4 Q6600) that usa2k has been hosting and running flawlessly is now running here at the parkut farm.

The machine has been renamed, the operating system has been reloaded (CentOS 5.3 x64) and is now running Linux SMP client.

I have one small issue with the onboard NIC, and will keep a close eye on it.

For now, it is now running as F3, blade #4 along side blades 5 & 6. Stats seem to be uploading normally.

I wish to extend my sincere best thanks for the care Jim (aka usa2k) has given to the blade, and while it is in my custody (however temporary that might be), I will do my best to meet everyone's expectations.

usa2k
Blessed
MVM
Westland, MI

usa2k

MVM

Re: [FP] Foldy 2 is now Foldy3-5

Thanks parkut See Profile for taking charge of all the odds and ends here (and the Quad PC!). Our proximity surely saved at least $50+ in shipping for this hand-off. It sure saved me a lot of work otherwise making everything travel safe for the kind of ride FEDEX provides.

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

Sunny to parkut

to parkut

Re: [FP] Foldy 2 status.

Thanks so much to both of you for everything. I suppose, if the motherboard needs to be replaced, it is good Jim isn't far away (as the holder of the warranty).

usa2k
Blessed
MVM
Westland, MI

usa2k

MVM

Of course that is under LINUX. Not part of what Dell provided.
Its never been booted or officially registered under Windows.
I would have to look back to see what OS it came with?
Looks like these were ordered a year ago.
»Re: [FP] Discussion on Upgrading Foldy Blades
Pretty sure this one has XP
»/r0/do ··· 2008.pdf

There were a few Ethernet cards I passed to Parkut.
Perhaps an add-on Ethernet would eliminate that glitch?

parkut
Crunch Addict
MVM
Clinton Township, MI

2 recommendations

parkut

MVM

Resolved problem with onboard network interface by installing spare Intel network card and disabling the onboard version in the BIOS.
parkut

1 edit

2 recommendations

parkut

MVM

Foldy2 now reporting as Foldy2, Blade1 on FAH-Tool and Starfish's Foldy Monitor

Now that alphapointe has been confirmed as a new OP, the blade will be allowed to finish up it's work unit, and be packed up and sent out to it's next home Monday.

Edit 5/3/09 9:00am EDT. Foldy2, Blade1 is now packed and waiting for UPS to begin the move to it's new home.

alphapointe
Don't Touch Me
MVM
join:2002-02-10
Columbia, MO

5 recommendations

alphapointe to usa2k

MVM

to usa2k
Foldy2 is back up and running in its' new home:

parkut
Crunch Addict
MVM
Clinton Township, MI

1 recommendation

parkut

MVM

Click for full size
I spy alphapointe
Well done sir!

usa2k
Blessed
MVM
Westland, MI

usa2k to alphapointe

MVM

to alphapointe
Fabulous!

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

Sunny to alphapointe

to alphapointe
Good job and thanks to all involved! We hardly had time to blink.

alphapointe
Don't Touch Me
MVM
Columbia, MO

alphapointe to usa2k

MVM

to usa2k
Just FYI: Aaron and I were checking out the stats on foldy2 at dell's site, and we discovered that the warranty is now expired:
DescriptionProviderStart DateEnd DateDays Left
Limited Technical SupportDELL4/25/20084/25/20090
Next Business Day SupportBSC4/25/20084/25/20090

Probably a good thing we didn't try for a warranty repair of the onboard NIC. :huh:

usa2k
Blessed
MVM
Westland, MI

usa2k

MVM

Around the same time as parkut See Profile purchased one for the club
»[FP] New Dell, extended warranty?

alphapointe
Don't Touch Me
MVM
Columbia, MO

4 recommendations

alphapointe to usa2k

MVM

to usa2k
Click for full size
Aaron told me that if I didn't take and upload a picture of the label I put on Foldy2, he would change my speech synthesizer to Russian and leave.

The braille says "foldy #2"

TwoFrogs
MVM
Redlands, CA

TwoFrogs

MVM

said by alphapointe:

Aaron told me that if I didn't take and upload a picture of the label I put on Foldy2, he would change my speech synthesizer to Russian and leave.

The braille says "foldy #2"
Well, just in case:

alphapointe
Don't Touch Me
MVM
Columbia, MO

alphapointe

MVM

AAAAHHHH!

Have you ever heard a stutterer on crack? I think JAWS just took a hit! Once I changed modes, it would only say "unknown character" as I moved from character to character, but in normal mode it just flipped out and made no sense.

TwoFrogs
MVM
Redlands, CA

TwoFrogs

MVM

Sorry. I guess I should have figured that JAWS would not like that very much. No more Russian!

usa2k
Blessed
MVM
Westland, MI

1 recommendation

usa2k

MVM

Its all Greek to Jaws