spc
Search similar:

uniqs
andrew820
join:2003-12-12
Fall Branch, TN

andrew820

Usage Caps

Hello everyone! I'm new to Comcast, coming over from Charter. I was wondering if they're any usage caps? Thanks for the info!

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

1 edit

Chris 313

Premium Member

said by andrew820:

Hello everyone! I'm new to Comcast, coming over from Charter. I was wondering if they're any usage caps? Thanks for the info!
Yes, Comcast has a 250GB a month cap on all residential connections. That's download and upload combined.

I've also heard that business class connections are exempt from the 250 cap, but they, of course, cost you more then a home connection.

Hope that helps.

Edit: Comcast is supposed to be coming out with a monitor to help you with your monthly usage, but as of yet, there's no monitor and no word on when it's coming, so you have to monitor yourself with tools like

DUMeter (Paid) : »www.dumeter.com/
NetMeter, clone of DUMeter (Free) : »www.metal-machine.de/readerror/

Both of these programs are very configurable, but only monitor per computer usage, not everything that comes across the connection if you have a router, etc.

So you'll need something for your router that has a bandwith monitor on it. Two I recommend are Tomato: »www.polarcloud.com/tomato

And DD-WRT v24SP1 or later found here: »dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv3/dd-w ··· ads.html

Good luck and welcome to Comcast!

C_Chipperson
Monster Rain
Premium Member
join:2009-01-17

1 edit

C_Chipperson to andrew820

Premium Member

to andrew820
Supposedly the cap is 250 GB/month but from what I've observed on this site, it's not super-strictly enforced.

Edit - I was too slow!
andrew820
join:2003-12-12
Fall Branch, TN

andrew820 to Chris 313

to Chris 313
Yup that helps a lot! Thanks... that's the same cap as I was under with Charter. I was just wanting to make sure I'm good. I never used more than 40-50gigs a month on two computers!

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to andrew820

Premium Member

to andrew820
I'm up to 70GB total up/down on my business line (first full month since getting it, 8 days to go until next month) with 10 internet-enabled devices and 3 users, for an average of a hair over 3GB/day.

FYI the main topic for cap discussion (in case you want to see the arguments hashed out over and over) is

»The Bandwidth Limits/Congestion Management Topic