how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ray0819

join:2009-04-13
Thorold, ON

New with Teksavvy and consider MLPPP.

Hi, I just had my internet service with teksavvy yesterday. (was with cogeco). Now i am thinking MLPPP. However i am totally new with all the things needed to be done to get MLPPP working. Here are my questions:
1.i currently have only one DSL line with teksavvy, if i want a second line to get MLPPP, which isp should i choose? still teksavvy or other ISPs? which way is better?
2.is it a good time to consider mlppp now? I've found many posts showing network with mlppp was not working around today.
3.I rent a house and have no idea how many telphone lines i get.(Thorold Area,905-680-***),so what shoud i do?

BTW,im a international student, please ignore my language problems.(

Thanks for helping me out!

l0thar

join:2005-12-29
Far Far Away
kudos:1

Hi, Ray,

You can do MLppp on a single phone line - That's how I am connected and writing this message right now. (See the excellent thread posted by Guspaz with detailed instructions.)

If you wanted to use two phone lines, you would need to get service from Teksavvy on the second line as well -- mlppp only works with a single ISP, and one that is nice enough to support it. A single line setup is cheaper and does the job, unless you want the extra speed of the two bonded phone lines.

2. mlppp is working for me.

3. stay with a single line, read Guspaz's thread and set up mlppp via Sun xVM VirtualBox and ZeroShell. His instructions are so well written and to the point, you will be up and running in no time...

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by l0thar:

You can do MLppp on a single phone line - That's how I am connected and writing this message right now. (See the excellent thread posted by Guspaz with detailed instructions.)
There are two different scenarios that MLPPP can be used in its current incarnation with TekSavvy...

1. Single-Link MLPPP - requires a single DSL account, regular or dry-loop. This is used only to bypass Bell's P2P traffic shaping, returning the service quality to pre- April 2008 state.

2. Multi-Link MLPPP - requires two or more DSL accounts. This is used to bond two or more DSL lines, to increase the speeds, both download & upload. It also defeats the traffic shaping.
--
GOLF LEAFS GOLF!

ray0819

join:2009-04-13
Thorold, ON
reply to ray0819

thanks for replying.

The mlppp i want is with two lines which provide me more speed.

Ive already got a unlimited DSL.

so if i want do two line mlppp, what should i do with my phone lines? and i can only see one telphone line in my bedroom, what should i do then?

emoci

join:2007-05-29
Toronto, ON

said by ray0819:

thanks for replying.

The mlppp i want is with two lines which provide me more speed.

Ive already got a unlimited DSL.

so if i want do two line mlppp, what should i do with my phone lines? and i can only see one telphone line in my bedroom, what should i do then?
Well if you want two lines, for starters you'll have to call and order a second DSL line to be installed in your second pair of wires. It'll likely need to be DryDSL.

Keep in mind that dual-line MLPPP also means double the price.

Line 1: $29.95
Line 2: $29.95 + $10 band fee (band fee for DRY DSL)

Once that is done you'll have to identify your second wire pair and install a second jack, as well as buy a second DSL modem.

As for MLPPP single line, simply flash your WRT54GL router with firmware from fixpppoe.org and you'll be up and running with what you have right now...

grunze510

join:2009-02-14
Cote Saint-Luc, QC

said by emoci:

As for MLPPP single line, simply flash your WRT54GL router with firmware from fixpppoe.org and you'll be up and running with what you have right now...
Actually, it's »fixppp.org

The most common Tomato compatible routers are the Linksys WRT54GL and the Asus WL-520gu.