Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

msmisfit

join:2004-09-13
Lawrenceville, GA
kudos:2

Charter Moto DVR remote programming question

My Moto DCH 6416 remote has 4 keys A, B, C, D which appear to have nothing programmed, plus it has PIP keys which also do not work.

I bought a Harmony 510 remote to attempt to get 3 remotes reduced to one, and I'm wondering if any other Charter customers have gotten a Harmony remote to work for PIP on this box? They [PIP commands] are shown as being on this box [device].

Also have you added other commands to the A,B,C,D buttons with any success? TIA... for any advice. I'm still reading the mounds of info at the Logitech site, but if someone has already found out the above won't work, that will save time for the other things that will.

Likes2help

@charter.com
Hello msmisfit,
I am charter technical support rep who just happened across this post. Decided to lend a hand

After doing a little research on your remote I have come to conclusion that the a,b,c,d buttons are always pre programed by the service provider. In our case these buttons do not serve any specific purpose and are left dormant.

As for the PIP button it should work with most tv's. What is the brand of the tv set hooked up to the DVR? I'll check in later to see if there is a reply.

Not sure about harmony but I'll also see if I can dig into that for you as well.

msmisfit

Lawrenceville, GA

1 edit
My TV is a Samsung LN40A550, and the remote is the UR4U-MDVR-CHD2.

I can work PIP from my TV remote, but never got the Charter/Moto remote PIP keys to work. Thanks for your response!

CharterJosh
Premium
join:2009-02-05
Chesterfield, MO
kudos:6
reply to msmisfit
"Likes2help" is correct. The PIP button should work with most tv's however it is not always programmed correctly.

I personally have a Harmony remote control with my DVR and television. The PIP button does work on there for my TV but I only have 1 input being used at the moment, so the PIP does not have anything on it.

As for the A,B,C,D buttons, I have not been able to add commands to them successfully as of yet, however with the Harmony I simply removed them and added different buttons/commands that I wanted to have easily accessible.

msmisfit

Lawrenceville, GA
Is your's a Motorola box? I think there's a problem between Motorola and Samsung. I never found a code that would make everything work.

That's what I wanted to know, if I would do any harm by changing those ABCD buttons to something I use often. Thanks....

CharterJosh
Premium
join:2009-02-05
Chesterfield, MO
kudos:6
reply to msmisfit
Not sure that you will necessarily harm anything, but I'm not sure that it will actually take. That's the problem I ran in to. I actually used to have a Motorola when I had this same problem and now I have a Moxi. I'm not sure if there is a problem between Motorola and Samsung, but yes, the Harmony was my solution (I also have a lot of A/V equip and wanted to control it all from one remote).

In the future, if you do need Direct support from a Charter Tech, please contact us through the »/forum/charterdirect . For general questions this forum is fantastic.

msmisfit

Lawrenceville, GA
I had been worried about removing the ABCD from the Harmony, because I had read on other forums of people having *more* trouble after removing items on the devices. Since it worked for you, I think I'll try it. Guess I can always go back to "default"... right?

I think the only problem with the Samsung TV and Motorola remotes was an incomplete code list from Motorola.

This is a great group for Charter users, and since this problem was almost "off-topic"... the place to be. I felt other users might have already been through this, as you have. Thanks so much for your responses.

MadCity
Premium
join:2008-10-17
Middleton, WI
reply to CharterJosh
Likes2help" is correct. The PIP button should work with most tv's however it is not always programmed correctly.

How do you program the PIP remote function with a DCH3416?
I always heard that Charter had it disabled.
Thanks

somemightsay

join:2005-07-16
Rockwall, TX
OK, silly question but I just want to be clear -- the PIP button on the Charter remote for the 6416 is supposed to control the TV's PIP feature, if available (the TV itself must have the functionality). In other words, the Motorola 6416 can't display PIP? I ask because my Sony A3000 does not have native PIP.

Thanks.

msmisfit

Lawrenceville, GA

1 edit
Following is what I have seen repeated many times in past years. This was posted by Charter James in the AVS forum last year:

==
"So far as I know, no box has the interface to allow picture in picture - it only sends out a single output of whatever tuner it's been set to show - as such, you'll need to get your second picture from another source.

Frequently, people will split the line going into their cable box with a two way and run coax directly into the TV - that should give you the expanded basic as well as all channels running Clear QAM (unencrypted digital)."
==

I'm assuming he was talking about "boxes" that Charter had in the field [that he was aware of]. The splitter always worked for me, using my TV's PIP and remote. The Charter remote [/cable box] never worked for PIP. Apparently Charter customers need TVs with the PIP feature.

I had hoped the Charter universal remote could still swap PIP, but it apparently was being used to swap tuners in the box only, no dual pictures. That's one of the reasons, I bought the Harmony remote.

Rampage522

join:2001-10-18
Birmingham, AL
kudos:1
I found this »en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_use···e_Remote to be an excellent resource for determining how to assign functions to the A/B/C/D keys (and subsequently map them over to my Harmony remote). I use the "PIP Swap" button to toggle between the 2 tuners and rewind/skip/etc. without losing the buffer from the prior channel as the "Prev Channel" button will do.