join:2002-03-04
Lost
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit

3 recommendations

A possible tip for new members

In consideration of several new members joining WCG, I thought this might be a helpful mention ?

Someone recently asked me why the daily points fluctuated so much on WCG. I responded by by talking about the unusual approval process and saying that it would settle down some with time.

Then I began to notice some enormously abnormal swings in my own points. I had 61,000 vs 37,000 points (Wed/Thurs) ??
I started checking, and then I remembered why.

During the build,delta temp,cooler fiasco with my newest pc, I also got a trojan horse agent2 virus on another quad. During the problems, I had set both Quad machines to the default device profile. No wonder I was having these swings.

TIP#1: Sometimes WCG/Boinc has server problems and goes down. This will cause you to lose work. Some of us cache additional work to overcome this problem. I personally cache 2.0 extra days.

TIP#2: This allows cached units to age. Due to this aging the ratio of turn-in to approval time is somewhat less. This gains the added benefit of less fluctuation in daily points.

Summary: Ya' might wanna' set your cache (device profiles) higher.

EDIT: OOPS!! That lil is sooooooo fast. She already mentioned before I could get this typed.
About »Re: [WCG] No work?

--
Things I like - Team Discovery - Quads©3.3 to 4.0ghz - Strawberry Ice cream

Gooiool
May God bless you.
Premium
join:2006-11-27
Fort Smith, AR
kudos:4

1 recommendation

great read Ray thanks for posting .

Dersgniw
Disco Crunchin
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-10
behind you

3 recommendations

reply to Ray422
Also, don't set your cache too high or you might be turning in expired work units and thus not getting credit.. I've seen some of my crunchers do this. I set mine to around 2 days as well, but for some reason, I've had clients with dozens of WU's that would definitely not be finished in time. I aborted those. It's good to keep an eye on this with a new install.. Also, I clear my WU cache when going on vacation so I don't end up with expired WUs.

Another reason for fluctuations is that you may finish a work unit on the day you receive it, but the other client(s) in the quorum that have that WU might finish it 5 days later. You won't get credit for the WU until the other client returns the result. If the quorum is not achieved after the WU expires, then the WU will be sent out again and you will have to wait even longer. (sometimes it's best to not peek)

I also check the "result status" for errors occasionally.

Finally, I like to arrange lit candles in a circle around my computer, burn incense and chant random words in Latin.. it seems to help.
--
I Smell Cures! -- Our Hope

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Numquam oblita
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone
kudos:57

1 recommendation

Thanks Ray for your submission to our WCG FAQ

»Team Discovery WCG BOINC FAQ »Why do my daily points fluctuate so much?

Gooiool
May God bless you.
Premium
join:2006-11-27
Fort Smith, AR

3 recommendations

reply to Dersgniw
said by Dersgniw:

Finally, I like to arrange lit candles in a circle around my computer, burn incense and chant random words in Latin.. it seems to help.
I chant some words at a few of my computers BUT IT AIN"T IN latin , lol .
--
Team DiscoveryJoin us help fight cancer.
Gooiool©2005 My Photo Site

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Numquam oblita
Purple Zone

1 recommendation

said by Gooiool:

said by Dersgniw:

I chant some words at a few of my computers BUT IT AIN"T IN latin , lol .
I just wave my purple wand

»/r0/download/1 ··· Wand.gif
--
~Safe Hex~ Team Discovery ~ Project Hope ~ Like A Hurricane~

Ray422
Premium,MVM
join:2002-03-04
Lost
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit

1 recommendation

Click for full size
I've been lucky with managing expiration dates. It's actually very rare for me to miss the deadline on units.

The system seems to always skip down and set mine for high-priority before the expiration date.

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Numquam oblita
Purple Zone

1 edit
Yup...I don't miss'm either..not even on my single cores which are set for 5 days extra work, quads for 10 days

But increasing cache to a real high number (like 10) on a single core could possibly raise that chance as they take longer times to complete.

If you click the title of that "% progress" column - it will sort them all at the top for you
--
~Safe Hex~ Team Discovery ~ Project Hope ~ Like A Hurricane~