4 Ever Young
MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA

1 recommendation

jaykaykay

MVM

IE 8, Pros and cons?

It seems that IE 8 is out of beta and is now ready for prime time. (! ) I have resisted IE 7 as it seemed not to do anythig for me that I cannot and have done on my own. Now I am offered IE 8. What, specifically, does this new IE do for me that me 6 cannot or won't and what might it screw up?

dandelion
MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN

1 recommendation

dandelion

MVM

said by jaykaykay:

It seems that IE 8 is out of beta and is now ready for prime time. (! ) I have resisted IE 7 as it seemed not to do anythig for me that I cannot and have done on my own. Now I am offered IE 8. What, specifically, does this new IE do for me that me 6 cannot or won't and what might it screw up?
If you think you may have been the only one to resist IE7, you are not alone, I am ALSO curious about IE8. So far one post I read said it was slow to load and I would like other opinions also.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
USA

1 recommendation

jaykaykay

MVM

I've read all kinds of things on other sites, but this site is the one I want to hear from. From what I've read on the other sites, I don't want to install this either.
SUMware2
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21

3 edits

SUMware2 to jaykaykay

Premium Member

to jaykaykay
I'm assuming that you've also tried Google, something like this:
»www.google.com/search?q= ··· ns&hl=en or
»www.google.com/search?q= ··· ns&hl=en

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA

2 recommendations

dadkins to jaykaykay

MVM

to jaykaykay
When it first went "live" I tried in on my Vista laptop.
All system sounds disappeared and other non-system sounds died.
Avast stopped talking when it updated.
Even going into "Sounds" and clickung the Play button did nothing.

Imaging my Vista machine now and going to see about giving it another chance.

I hate when new software breaks things.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
USA

jaykaykay

MVM

I am not using Vista yet either, by choice. Vista or no, I don't want the darned thing to break anything, period. Hence my question, haivng done the searches SUMWare suggested as wel as my own. I would love to know how it works the 2nd time around on your system. Broken sound is a no no even if that was the only thing broken.
jaykaykay

1 recommendation

jaykaykay to SUMware2

MVM

to SUMware2
Yes, SUMWare, I did a Google search and have done a lot of reading on IE 8. What I am now searching for are experiences, comments, and just plain suggestion by our members, those I know and trust.
SUMware2
Premium Member

2 edits

2 recommendations

SUMware2

Premium Member

I'm running IE6 with no plans to upgrade.

IE8 had a critical zero-day exploit. No mention of it being fixed.

»blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=2934
Details of the vulnerability, which was described by contest sponsor TippingPoint ZDI as a “brilliant IE8 bug!” are being kept under wraps.

Several members of Microsoft’s security response team were on hand to witness the successful exploit.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
USA

jaykaykay

MVM

That's the kind of input I am looking for. Thank you.
lorennerol
Premium Member
join:2003-10-29
Seattle, WA

lorennerol to jaykaykay

Premium Member

to jaykaykay
No significant problems here with IE8 on Vista SP1 with Office 2007 SP1 (soon to be SP2). A few pages with rendering issues, but the compatibility view button fixed the rendering.

boybanker
join:2000-09-01
Greenville, SC

boybanker to jaykaykay

to jaykaykay
No issues with either XP home box at home or Vista laptop. I have not run across a site yet that I have had to revert to see or see correctly. Summary, no problems and some features are handy. I was using IE7 before.

BB

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
USA

1 edit

jaykaykay to lorennerol

MVM

to lorennerol
Have you found any sites that haven't worked using the compatibility button?

iond
@rogers.com

iond to SUMware2

Anon

to SUMware2
said by SUMware2:

I'm running IE6 with no plans to upgrade.

IE8 had a critical zero-day exploit. No mention of it being fixed.

»blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=2934
Details of the vulnerability, which was described by contest sponsor TippingPoint ZDI as a “brilliant IE8 bug!” are being kept under wraps.

Several members of Microsoft’s security response team were on hand to witness the successful exploit.

To be fair, other browsers such as Firefox was also successfully exploited in that contest. I don't think it's reasonable to say IE8 is not safe simply because someone managed to exploit it.

chachazz
Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

chachazz

Premium Member

Mozilla fixed their vuln in a matter of days..

Is the IE8 zero-day fixed or still unpatched?
lorennerol
Premium Member
join:2003-10-29
Seattle, WA

lorennerol to jaykaykay

Premium Member

to jaykaykay
said by jaykaykay:

Have you found and sites that haven't worked using the compatibility button?
Not a one. And it's been two weeks since I saw an issue that caused a functional problem- there was an airline checkin site on which the field labels didn't appear. Everything else I can think of has been appearance/placement (like overlapping text).

I'm comfortable enough that I'm beginning to roll it out for clients.
Kerodo
join:2004-05-08

Kerodo to jaykaykay

to jaykaykay
Have been using IE8 here on Vista x64 for many weeks now, no issues really. Some sites don't want to display, but as mentioned, a click of the compatibility button fixes them. That is probably the only thing that I find a little annoying. Otherwise, as for performance, it is much faster than IE7 or prior. So that's a nice plus. There are other benefits which should make it more secure also. Read up on the features to find out more. I'd recommend it based on my experience to date.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

siljaline to jaykaykay

Premium Member

to jaykaykay
Nothing really to whine about here
WebSlices and some add-ons, I've de-selected, otherwise MS seems to have done good.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA

1 edit

dadkins to jaykaykay

MVM

to jaykaykay
Installed, sound still working this time - On Vista machine.

Don't actually use IE per se, I use SlimBrowser for IE tasks.
It's working...

Maybe later I'll install it on XP and see what happens.
SUMware2
Premium Member

3 edits

SUMware2 to chachazz

Premium Member

to chachazz

IE 8 "Critical" Flaw in Final Version

said by chachazz:

Mozilla fixed their vuln in a matter of days..

Is the IE8 zero-day fixed or still unpatched?
Right. It is surprising that people here will use IE8 without knowing if a critical vulnerability has been patched. Evidently some users enjoy taking big risks.
AFAIK this has not been patched, even after all of this time.

From SC Magazine
March 24, 2009 -
quote:
Internet Explorer 8 "critical" flaw in final version

The Internet Explorer 8 (IE8) vulnerability demonstrated last week at the CanSecWest hacker conference In the beta version of the popular web browser also exists in the final version.

Microsoft confirmed that the vulnerability exists in the official release, said Terri Forslof, a researcher at TippingPoint, which sponsored the Pwn2Own contest that challenged competitors to find bugs in either web browsers or mobile devices.

“This is a single-click-and-you're-owned exploit,” she told SCMagazineUS.com on Tuesday. “You click a link in an email or simply browse to a website, and your machine is compromised. This meets Microsoft's ‘critical' bar [in its vulnerabilities and rating system].”
From TippingPoint DV Labs
27 Mar 2009 -
quote:
On March 19th around 9:00AM, Microsoft made available the “official” RTW IE8 download.

(Release to Web, or “RTW” formally moves the product out of “Beta”. From this point forward, any fixes to vulnerabilities or bugs will happen via updates or service packs.)

This released version of IE8 broke the ASLR and DEP evasion exploit technique, which is fantastic news for consumers, but sad news for tools like HD Moore’s MetaSploit-- as well as Nils exploit for IE8—with a few caveats:

First, don’t be confused by the fact that the exploit was broke- the vulnerability itself is absolutely confirmed present in the final version of IE8.

The vulnerability is also only mitigated on the Windows Vista SP1 platform or later. If you are running IE8 on Windows XP, it doesn’t implement ASLR and DEP, so other commonly known exploit techniques would work just fine.

Additionally, the mitigations against this exploit do not work in the intranet zone. If an organization is compromised, the flaw could still be exploited from the internal network on machines running Windows Vista + IE8
[emphasis added]
noedge
join:2005-06-22
Sutter, CA

noedge to jaykaykay

to jaykaykay

Re: IE 8, Pros and cons?

I have IE 8 running along with Firefox 3.5 Beta 4 on XP Pro SP/3 and everything seems to be playing nice.

It is much faster then IE7 and a little faster then IE6 and does have a couple of features that I like,the drop down on the address bar..you can delete one at a time,to bad Firefox didn't come up with this first.

ninn
join:2008-01-26

1 edit

ninn to jaykaykay

to jaykaykay
i have IE8 and Firefox 3.0.9 in my box
Firefox is my default, easy to install and uninstall the add-ons (extensions), they are very nice and can tailor to one need and prefer.
i use IE8 only when i can not use Firefox
i wish IE8 comes with the same features and idea that Firefox has.

Woody79_00
I run Linux am I still a PC?
Premium Member
join:2004-07-08
united state

2 recommendations

Woody79_00 to jaykaykay

Premium Member

to jaykaykay
JayKay:

On the network I run and manage, I have "Blocked" IE8 via the IE8 Blocker Toolkit which is available from the Microsoft Download Center that will prevent Windows Automatic Update and Microsoft Update from installing or offering IE8

I have been testing it on my workstation since its release and I will be honest with you...its NOT ready for prime time yet.

On Windows XP SP3 fully patched certain web pages cause it to chew RAM until your machine lockes up tight

It doesn't handle JavaScript heavy sites well at all.

There are known bugs in the JScript Garbage collector that it doesn't free memory like its should...I was told by MS Support this is being worked on for a future patch.

Many Legacy sites will break, even with compatibility mode.

If your using sites govt, state, etc...they won't work right in IE8

IE8 also breaks some Anti-Virus/Security Softwares

It also uses way more resources then even then IE7

IE8 is a good browser, and I think it has a good future, but it is in need of a few more rounds of patches before I could reccommend it for everyday use...there are problems with it....

IE6 SP3 will receive Updates until 2014....as long as your have SP3 on Windows XP....if its not broke don't fix it.

I would wait atleast another 6 months before trying IE8....it sounds like you cna't afford nothing being broke and I am just being honest with you.

It does have nice features, it does load some pages faster, but it also has some bugs that need to be addressed.

hope that helps.
kingaljr
Premium Member
join:2008-02-29
Minneapolis, MN

kingaljr to jaykaykay

Premium Member

to jaykaykay
It's a lot faster on my XP/SP3 than IE7 was and I found myself using it more than Opera. I had one or two compatibility issues that were easily fixed by clicking the compatibility view button.
One thing that bugs me is I have to re-login every time I restart which is kind of a pain. Also not all applications are upgraded to IE8 yet. Super Ad Blocker for instance is a little twitchy with it so some programs might be a little off if they are IE centered.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
USA

jaykaykay to lorennerol

MVM

to lorennerol
Have you noted any problems with your software such as AV or such? For your hardware such as sound system?

efjnmwekjfn
@teksavvy.com

efjnmwekjfn to noedge

Anon

to noedge
said by noedge:

I like,the drop down on the address bar..you can delete one at a time,to bad Firefox didn't come up with this first.
You can already do that in Firefox. Expand the address bar, highlight the one you want to delete, and hit the delete key on your keyboard. That feature has been there for awhile.
noedge
join:2005-06-22
Sutter, CA

noedge

Good tip....now I'm 60% firefox and 40% IE-8

CUBS_FAN
2016 World Series Champs
join:2005-04-28
Chicago, IL

CUBS_FAN to jaykaykay

to jaykaykay
At work they installed the IE8 and I noticed it launches a lot slower. Maybe a few other minor issues. Since it seems to take a little more processing power to launch version 8 there is no way I'm going to consider installing it onto the P.C bought back in 2002 which has 1GB(technically 992MB) of RAM and an AMD Athlon XP 1800 1.53GHz processor.

kdshapiro
join:2000-03-29
Eatontown, NJ
ARRIS TM1602
Netgear R8000

kdshapiro to jaykaykay

to jaykaykay
I'm running IE8 on XP/SP3 and Vista 64 SP1. Due to protected mode hardware I do my surfing on Vista. IE8-64 bit is fast as all get go. I do less surfing on XP because XP does not implemement protected mode.

Installing IE8 did not "screw" up anything.

ninn
join:2008-01-26

ninn to efjnmwekjfn

to efjnmwekjfn
said by efjnmwekjfn :

said by noedge:

I like,the drop down on the address bar..you can delete one at a time,to bad Firefox didn't come up with this first.
You can already do that in Firefox. Expand the address bar, highlight the one you want to delete, and hit the delete key on your keyboard. That feature has been there for awhile.
or you can do this

»www.graphixanstuff.com/F ··· ic=11887
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to jaykaykay

Premium Member

to jaykaykay
I cannot use it on Vista. Twice I have tried, called Microsoft about the problems and their only solution after hours on the phone with them was go back to IE 7.

On a virtual machine running XP Pro SP2, IE 8 has not had severe problems except every site has to be run in compatibility mode even now with the final release version. I like IE8 except for one thing which is a show stopper for me. The address cannot be read now. It cannot be bolded and about one-half of the address is grayed out so it is unreadable. I will continue to use IE6 (when I am not using Fx which is my default browser) on my XP main machine because I cannot bold IE 8's address bar.

Then there is the extremely messy junk that drops down under IE 8's address bar that is irrelevant to the address you typed. At least on Fx 3, all that crap can be tamed with extensions and Fx 3.1 will have even more ways to get rid of the awful bar because Mozilla has tried somewhat to mitigate the storm of protest about the awful bar. Microsoft did not see fit to allow its users, if they wish, to get rid of the awful bar and have a normal, bolded (or at least not grayed out address) bar with nothing in the drop down except typed addresses.

I have noticed no difference in how fast IE 8 is over IE 7. They seem the same to me. Both are slow loading tabs compared to Firefox 3 or Opera 10 which is the fastest. (Opera though has an even messier awful bar than does IE that is extremely distracting to the point that I have just about stopped using it).