Dennis
Mod
join:2001-01-26
Algonquin, IL

9 recommendations

Dennis

Mod

New posting requirement for anonymous posters

From now on, if you want to post anonymously, you will need to attach a picture of the problem you are asking for help with.

There have been to many vague, and poorly described anonymous posts here lately. The only thing it does is drag down the people who are genuinely trying to help by forcing them to guess at what will solve the issue.

pende_tim
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Selbyville, DE

1 recommendation

pende_tim

Premium Member

+1
Then they seem to disappear after posting never to be seen again.
Spensergig
Past my Prime
MVM
join:2000-03-26
Bradenton, FL

Spensergig to Dennis

MVM

to Dennis
I was under the impression that anon posters couldn't attach pictures or edit their posts.

Am I out to lunch on how the real world is?

Dennis
Mod
Algonquin, IL

Dennis

Mod

said by Spensergig:

I was under the impression that anon posters couldn't attach pictures or edit their posts.
»test anonymous post

nope they can attach them just fine.

z aXis
Premium Member
join:2003-01-23
Arlington Heights, IL

z aXis to Dennis

Premium Member

to Dennis
Thank you. Much needed change.

BillRoland
Premium Member
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL

1 edit

BillRoland to Dennis

Premium Member

to Dennis
Good change Dennis See Profile

Koil
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC

Koil to Dennis

Premium Member

to Dennis
+1

cacroll
Eventually, Prozac becomes normal
Premium Member
join:2002-07-25
Martinez, CA

cacroll to Dennis

Premium Member

to Dennis
said by Dennis:

From now on, if you want to post anonymously, you will need to attach a picture of the problem you are asking for help with.

Kudos, D.

Actually, not a bad idea for everybody, anon or registered. As cheap as pictures are, why not use them?
81399672 (banned)
join:2006-05-17
Los Angeles, CA

81399672 (banned) to Dennis

to Dennis
Strongly *object*

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

said by 81399672:

Strongly *object*
Strongly *sign* -- Thanks Dennis

Koil
Premium Member
Irmo, SC

Koil to 81399672

Premium Member

to 81399672
Since this isn't the new requests forum, what could you possibly find wrong with this?
81399672 (banned)
Los Angeles, CA

81399672 (banned)

said by Koil:

Since this isn't the new requests forum, what could you possibly find wrong with this?
As memeber of this forum, i have a right to object to a new rule.

Koil
Premium Member
Irmo, SC

Koil

Premium Member

I asked what you find wrong with it

AnonAndLovingIt
@charter.com

-1 recommendation

AnonAndLovingIt

Anon

It's not practical. For a variety of reasons that are so obvious to me that I won't name them.

Koil
Premium Member
Irmo, SC

1 edit

2 recommendations

Koil

Premium Member

Sorry. I'll need a picture to reply to your comment.

/sarcasm: I think its perfectly justifiable. If you want to have access to the knowledge here, I think posting a pic is a very light and well reasoned request. If it were my board, I'd tell you to pound sand and register.
patcat88
join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY

patcat88 to Dennis

to Dennis
But the legendary trolling of DSLR Home Repair & Improvement is what makes this board special.

Here are some of my favs
»Is shutting oil burner on & off harmful?
»Riding Mower Accident...
»smoke detectors with a timer
81399672 (banned)
Los Angeles, CA

81399672 (banned) to Koil

to Koil
said by Koil:

For some stuff you just can't take picture. Not every problem needs a picture.

natedj
Elected
Premium Member
join:2001-06-06
Irmo, SC

1 recommendation

natedj

Premium Member

said by 81399672:
said by Koil:

Well the obvious work-around to the problem is to sign in and become a member.
81399672 (banned)
Los Angeles, CA

81399672 (banned)

said by natedj:

said by 81399672:
said by Koil:

Well the obvious work-around to the problem is to sign in and become a member.
One of the best thing about this board is that you can post annoymousely. It's up to justin to decide if that should change or not after all this is his board.

Koil
Premium Member
Irmo, SC

1 recommendation

Koil

Premium Member

said by 81399672:

One of the best thing about this board is that you can post annoymousely. It's up to justin to decide if that should change or not after all this is his board.
Really? Of all the things, THAT is the best thing on this board? I'm not going to ask, as I am sure the answer will just make my eyes bleed, but no, it isn't the best thing on this board. All I can really see it as is a way for people to troll, create dumb ass topics, or hide behind anonymity because they lack the intestinal fortitude to stand behind the things they say.

THE ONLY time I could see anonymity being required/useful, would be if someone were in a particular situation in life and were embarrassed or worried about having their regular ID compromised. That is it, AND I don't think that those situations would ever arise in the Home Improvement forum.

Strongly *Signed*

Caddyroger
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
To the west

Caddyroger to Dennis

Premium Member

to Dennis
*sign*

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH

Pacrat to 81399672

MVM

to 81399672
Nah... it's the forum host's call. Justin wont get involved with forum rules.

Now, if a person says they don't have a digital camera, or cannot scan a photograph, that's one thing. But questions like, "Did I do this right?" or "What do think of... " Without an image, it's almost a complete waste of time. And, no, not every problem merits posting a photo of said condition. But the unusual and unique ones really help themselves if there's an image attached.

Koil
Premium Member
Irmo, SC

Koil to Dennis

Premium Member

to Dennis
Uh oh....made the ticker.

Queue the flood of anon replies....3...2...

james16
join:2001-02-26

james16 to Koil

to Koil
said by Koil:

It's a stupid idea.
So what happens if a registered user makes a stupid post that doesnt describe his problem?
What happens when an anonymous user with no camera perfectly describes the problem?

How about you actually address the problem and make a rule that any posts without enough information about the problem will be deleted.

You know... rather than making a rule that will just "bite the newbies".

Dennis
Mod
Algonquin, IL

Dennis

Mod

said by james16:

How about you actually address the problem and make a rule that any posts without enough information about the problem will be deleted.
Do you honestly think I:
1. Have enough time to read every single post on this site?
2. Am qualified enough to pass judgement on every scenario?

If you answer yes to either of those then I have to say that you think waaaaay to much of me.

james16
join:2001-02-26

1 recommendation

james16

said by Dennis:

Do you honestly think I:
1. Have enough time to read every single post on this site?
2. Am qualified enough to pass judgement on every scenario?
And that is exactly why I'm saying your rule isn't going to help you. Now if you're going to enforce your rule, you're going to have to delete any posts by anon users that dont include pictures, and they'll come back asking why their post was deleted, you'll tell them why and lock it, they'll make a post that they dont have a camera etc.

It's not easy being a moderator, I appreciate that, but you must realise this new rule of yours isn't going to make it any easier.
james16

1 recommendation

james16 to Dennis

to Dennis
Also, some sage advice from a wize man.
said by fatness:

If your new suggestion involves restricting anonymous posting in some way, it's probably going to get locked or deleted.

Years ago people felt they belonged to a community here on the site and they welcomed newcomers. That's what drew me in and probably what drew you in, too --- unfailing friendliness, help, and welcome, offered freely by more people than you could shake a stick at.

But the world around us has changed, not all the changes are good, and the current "let's keep them out" attitude around us has affected the site. Adversely.

Today some people want to build walls around the site and want to keep others out. The easy target is anonymous posters, and we've seen thread after hostile thread suggesting ways to keep them off the site, or restrict their use of the site. This hostility is quite visible to new people, reading or posting here for the first time. It makes the site look exclusionary and mean.

Trying to turn away good information, good opinion, and good people is a terrible idea. That was never what this site is about, and it isn't now. New readers are wanted and welcomed here as always, and if they don't feel like going through the problem of setting up an account at first (or at all) their contributions are just as welcome as if they're longtime members. Anonymous posters have been and are a source of a tremendous amount of contributions to the community. Many members read and posted anonymously for awhile, and finally joined because they felt welcomed and they wanted to pitch in and help.

This is a living, online community that we're inviting people into. It's not a fortress we're trying to protect. We need more welcomes, less barbed wire.
Source: »[request] anonymous posting suggestions

tahoejeff
Premium Member
join:2001-07-01
Wisconsin Dells, WI

tahoejeff to Dennis

Premium Member

to Dennis
that quote from 'fatness' really does say a lot about this site.
If the anon 'troll' posts to this forum are so numerous that they overburden the mods...bring on another mod.
I'm sorry that I'm commenting without actually knowing how often this happens. Maybe it's such a prevalent problem that this is a good idea.
I'd lean towards voting NO.

Steve
I know your IP address

join:2001-03-10
Tustin, CA

Steve to Dennis

to Dennis
*object*

Most people - including registered users - who post here are anonymous.

Could you actually mean "unregistered" ?

StNickless
@tmodns.net

StNickless to Dennis

Anon

to Dennis
Yet again a mindless solution to a nonexistant problem.

Registering will give you instant credibility....shyea, right...mmmk.

All anons are newbs....yep...ok...if you insist. This is where I should break out my milnet creds, but you just aren't proving it worthy of my time.

Show me a picture that proves your hot water heater isn't working, please....*waits*

Show me a picture that proves my 2 electrical outlets in the garage have no power.....*waits*

Get F'n real man.