uniqs

Styvas
Who are we? Forge FC!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-15
Hamilton, ON

Styvas

Premium Member

Sitting beside an isolation transforner...Is this risky?

We're tight on space at my office (really need to move into a larger space) and we've set up an office in the back room that normally would be used for storage. It's big enough to be comfortable, but has all of the electrical panels, shutoffs, etc. for the building up against one wall. Other than being unsightly (and who knows if we're blocking stuff, I suppose that could eventually become an issue) it's not that big a deal to be back here.

However, there's a large transformer (Starscream, I think...just kidding!) sitting in the corner of the room. It's labeled as an 'isolation transformer' and I've also been told it is called a 'dry transformer.' A client who claimed to know something about this suggested that sitting near it (I'm about 2 meters away) could be a health risk. I'm not too worried about electric shock, but the electromagnetic field over a prolonged period of time could be problematic, I suppose.

Does anyone know anything about this? After the client mentioned it, I brought it up with my boss, who is looking into it. But I'd like to make my own inquiries and thought I'd start with the knowledgeable folks here first.

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

Tin foil, man! I really have no idea.

ArthurS
Watch Those Blinking Lights
Premium Member
join:2000-10-28
Hamilton, ON

ArthurS to Styvas

Premium Member

to Styvas
Hmmm, by using this space as an office, is your company blocking access to any electrical panels/equipment? If so the building inspector/fire marshall will have a heyday getting that very illegal situation corrected, clearances around electrical equipment are not an option. Yes, there is an electrical field generated by the transformer, the debate is still out there as to whether it has any affect on your health.
Tyreman
join:2002-10-08
Cambridge, ON

2 edits

Tyreman to Styvas

to Styvas
Most shop safety committees don't want the access of electrical panels,disconnects and such stuff blocked or anything placed on them.
usually a bare minimum of a metre, maybe more depending on specifics.
As for emf-+

»esasafe.com/pdf/Flash_No ··· 2-FL.pdf

Wolfie007
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member
join:2005-03-12

Wolfie007 to Styvas

Premium Member

to Styvas
I don't know firsthand, but if this is a building transformer related to the power mains the issue will be 60 Hz EMF, or "ELF" - extremely low frequency EMF. I think you'll find that the evidence is pretty inconclusive, with some weak but unproven suggestions of health risks.

Google "60 hz health" for some info. One thing it turns up is this study from Saskatchewan Occupational Health and Safety on ELF EMF:
»www.labour.gov.sk.ca/Def ··· cb17514c

Hydraglass
Premium Member
join:2002-05-08

Hydraglass to Styvas

Premium Member

to Styvas
Your first sign you might have problems is if you start having computer problems. Back in "the day" CRT monitors were used at my workplace to determine if you were sitting too close to a strong electrical or magnetic field. If your monitor had colour distortion or picture distortion, you were sitting too close to something electromagnetic and should move farther away.

When we moved into new office space in 1999 (for 554 employees) I was the designer for all of the IT resources for the new location -- intermediate server room, central datacentre, 8 IDF's, and LAN distribution to 600 seating locations. One of the things I had to take into account when doing the design was the location of all the mains power, large UPS systems, and transformers. Not only for power supply, but for interference purposes. In laying out the server room and data centre I was instructed by our vendors (Cisco, HP, Sun, and IBM) to not locate any of our servers or major infrastructure within 2 meters of 3 phase power mains or "multiple kVA" transformers. Also to keep a 1 meter minimum space from our larger UPS systems (15kVA, 30kVA, and 100 kVA). HP and IBM both recommended making sure none of the employee seating areas were closer than 3 meters to 3 phase mains power or large transformers to minimize the chance of EMF interference with desktop equipment.

Now all these pieces of equipment were UL/CSA listed and tested - but there's an acceptable amount of EM leakage power distribution equipment has - and if there's too much - it can cause all sorts of issues - not even thinking about impact on the human sitting at the desk.

Styvas
Who are we? Forge FC!
Premium Member
Hamilton, ON

Styvas to ArthurS

Premium Member

to ArthurS
said by ArthurS:

Hmmm, by using this space as an office, is your company blocking access to any electrical panels/equipment? If so the building inspector/fire marshall will have a heyday getting that very illegal situation corrected, clearances around electrical equipment are not an option.
I'm quite sure that's an issue, but that's ultimately between my employer and the inspectors. I'm worried personally about the health aspect and not so much the legal aspects in terms of access to the equipment (which, to be honest, is not really a huge deal as nothing is literally blocking the panels, etc. but I'm sure an inspector would still take issue with what is situated near the equipment).
Styvas

Styvas to Wolfie007

Premium Member

to Wolfie007
said by Wolfie007:

I don't know firsthand, but if this is a building transformer related to the power mains the issue will be 60 Hz EMF, or "ELF" - extremely low frequency EMF. I think you'll find that the evidence is pretty inconclusive, with some weak but unproven suggestions of health risks.

Google "60 hz health" for some info. One thing it turns up is this study from Saskatchewan Occupational Health and Safety on ELF EMF:
»www.labour.gov.sk.ca/Def ··· cb17514c
Yes, the label says something about 60hz.

Wolfie007
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member

Wolfie007 to Hydraglass

Premium Member

to Hydraglass
Those are good observations. However, it must be said that there is no relationship between EMF levels that distort CRT's and levels that may (or may not) be hazardous to health. Any health hazard may be at EMF strengths that are much lower or much higher, and also may depend on frequency and duration of exposure.

The Saskatchewan study I linked above basically says it's inconclusive, but they reference a position statement and tentative guidelines that "recommend a limit of 4.16 kV/m and 83.3 µT (833 milligauss) for 24-hour exposure of the general public". (For reference, if my calculations are right -- and they might not be! -- 833 milligauss would be the magnetic field 10 cm away from a wire carrying a current of about 42 amps, so it's pretty high).

doh
@dsl.look.ca

doh to Styvas

Anon

to Styvas
Considering AC Magnetic Fields have been around for over 100 years without any conclusive ill effects, I'd say stop wasting your time worrying about it. In fact, for all those granola heads who insist on trying to make an issue out of it, I have one acronym for you... "MRI"

Styvas
Who are we? Forge FC!
Premium Member
Hamilton, ON

Styvas

Premium Member

An MRI is hardly "prolonged exposure."

ArthurS
Premium Member
Hamilton, ON

ArthurS to Styvas

Premium Member

to Styvas
said by Styvas:

said by ArthurS:

Hmmm, by using this space as an office, is your company blocking access to any electrical panels/equipment? If so the building inspector/fire marshall will have a heyday getting that very illegal situation corrected, clearances around electrical equipment are not an option.
I'm quite sure that's an issue, but that's ultimately between my employer and the inspectors. I'm worried personally about the health aspect and not so much the legal aspects in terms of access to the equipment (which, to be honest, is not really a huge deal as nothing is literally blocking the panels, etc. but I'm sure an inspector would still take issue with what is situated near the equipment).
You know, from your viewpoint it may seem that blocking electrical equipment with office equipment is simply an issue between your employer and the inspectors, when actually doing so affects the health and safety of all the people in your office! There is a reason why code doesn't allow storage or office furniture in the same space as your electrical equipment! Sounds to me your employer is too cheap to rent more office space, which is indicative of deeper trouble! I'd get your CV ready!

Styvas
Who are we? Forge FC!
Premium Member
Hamilton, ON

Styvas

Premium Member

said by ArthurS:

Sounds to me your employer is too cheap to rent more office space, which is indicative of deeper trouble! I'd get your CV ready!
I'm not super worried about that. Frankly, they can't afford to lose me (mine isn't a job that any unemployed individual coming out of automotive or manufacturing can fill).

informed
@mc.videotron.ca

informed to Styvas

Anon

to Styvas
said by Styvas:

Does anyone know anything about this? After the client mentioned it, I brought it up with my boss, who is looking into it. But I'd like to make my own inquiries and thought I'd start with the knowledgeable folks here first.
What ArthurS said. Depending on prov, city by-laws etc etec, there has to be a certain clearance.

Been down this road before myself, but not with a person & desk, but rather storage items.

Fire inspector wrote up a report that had to be complied with or they shut you down or fine you.
said by Styvas:

But I'd like to make my own inquiries and thought I'd start with the knowledgeable folks here first.
Call for a fire inspector to come in. They won't tell the boss who squealed.

Call for a health and safety inspector to come in. They won't tell the boss who squealed.

But you will be eye-balled

if you want the expert professional advice, those would be the experts and professionals per the laws in your area.

ArthurS
Premium Member
Hamilton, ON

ArthurS to Styvas

Premium Member

to Styvas
said by Styvas:

said by ArthurS:

Sounds to me your employer is too cheap to rent more office space, which is indicative of deeper trouble! I'd get your CV ready!
I'm not super worried about that. Frankly, they can't afford to lose me (mine isn't a job that any unemployed individual coming out of automotive or manufacturing can fill).
That's what you're trying to convince yourself, but from my point of view, they're sticking you in a glorified broom closet, next stop will be the front door! Run, don't walk away!

Styvas
Who are we? Forge FC!
Premium Member
Hamilton, ON

Styvas to informed

Premium Member

to informed
Nothing is blocking access, but there are things placed within the 3 foot area that is supposed to be kept clear. Again, I'm worried about my own health (perhaps needlessly so) and the company can deal with the rest of it.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to Styvas

Premium Member

to Styvas
Even though defibrillators are used to start the heart, apparently tasers have no effect on the heart muscle. By corollary I think your safe!

Just take a simple test each day, try to pick up a lightweight metal screw with your finger tip. You only need to be concerned if you can actually do it or if lights come on when you enter a room, whichever comes first.
Seriously, I doubt being two feet, let alone 2 metres away is going to be of any concern. If it makes white noise however, that may be very annoying.

ArthurS
Premium Member
Hamilton, ON

ArthurS to Styvas

Premium Member

to Styvas
said by Styvas:

Nothing is blocking access, but there are things placed within the 3 foot area that is supposed to be kept clear. Again, I'm worried about my own health (perhaps needlessly so) and the company can deal with the rest of it.
I think you're missing my point, blocking the area around the electrical equipment is a code violation, and while the effects are not immediate and may not affect your health, it can prove to be a health and safety issue for *everyone* in the office, including you, at a time when that space is needed most. This doesn't account for the remote possibility that you don't want to be near any electrical equipment when it fails!

Styvas
Who are we? Forge FC!
Premium Member
Hamilton, ON

Styvas

Premium Member

There's blocking and there's blocking. I do understand your point and, in the strictest definition of the term, my workplace is not in compliance with health and safety regulations in this regard. So I do get your point. On a practical level, I've brought it to the attention of my supervisor and it's out of my hands. If the health risk of ELF/EMF is inconclusive or not an issue, then I'm largely satisfied on a personal level. But that doesn't change other aspects of this over which I have no control.

BigSensFan
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Belle River, ON

1 recommendation

BigSensFan

Premium Member

Your office reminds me of this

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· =related

and when they actually show in him the storage area (could not find the scene)

Betting time
@mc.videotron.ca

Betting time to Styvas

Anon

to Styvas
Well there is a positive to being next to transformers and electrical panels.

If ever you have chest pains, you can always stick your fingers on a couple of wires and get jolted.

I think in the States they charge about 700$ for a jolt to kick-start the heart.

Think of it as a job perk.... or extended health plan.

So the race is on.

Will it be brain cancer or some sort of dementia brought on by EMF's, or a jolt saving your life, or is this an indication you don't have anything to worry about since you already got 1 foot out the door by being stuffed with storage?

Bets are on!

Wolfie007
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member

Wolfie007 to doh

Premium Member

to doh
said by doh :

Considering AC Magnetic Fields have been around for over 100 years without any conclusive ill effects, I'd say stop wasting your time worrying about it. In fact, for all those granola heads who insist on trying to make an issue out of it, I have one acronym for you... "MRI"
Bad example. The vast majority of the magnetic field involved in an MRI is static (0 Hz) which has little to no potential health effects, except for the direct influence of the magnetic field on objects -- like being killed by your own flying keychain!

As it happens, the MRI also requires ELF and RF EMF emissions, and this is mainly where the health concerns arise, and some jurisdictions have specific standards limiting those exposures. This is also what we're talking about here.

grrr
Premium Member
join:2001-06-16
Toronto, ON

grrr to Styvas

Premium Member

to Styvas
You should Google "Personal Faraday Cage" »www.google.com/search?q= ··· irefox-a
and see your options. Maybe your company will spring for some Faraday Fashions. I hear metal is "in" this year.

doh
@dsl.look.ca

doh to Wolfie007

Anon

to Wolfie007
said by Wolfie007:

said by doh :

Bad example. The vast majority of the magnetic field involved in an MRI is static (0 Hz) which has little to no potential health effects,
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ma ··· _imaging
quote:
Unlike CT, it uses no ionizing radiation, but uses a powerful magnetic field to align the nuclear magnetization of (usually) hydrogen atoms in water in the body. Radio frequency (RF) fields are used to systematically alter the alignment of this magnetization, causing the hydrogen nuclei to produce a rotating magnetic field detectable by the scanner.

Wolfie007
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member

Wolfie007

Premium Member

Hello? Can you read? Or did you fall asleep before you had finished reading the rest of my post?
said by Wolfie007:

... As it happens, the MRI also requires ELF and RF EMF emissions, and this is mainly where the health concerns arise, and some jurisdictions have specific standards limiting those exposures. This is also what we're talking about here.

doh
@dsl.look.ca

doh

Anon

I find your apology leaves something to be desired

Wolfie007
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member

Wolfie007

Premium Member

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about and I don't know what point, if any, you were trying to make by posting stuff from wikipedia trying to tell me how MRI scanners work. I know how they work. There are (controversial) safety concerns about long-term EMF exposure for medical workers. The static magnetic field is of least concern, the ELF is considered more hazardous, and the RF the greatest concern. These are a typical guidelines for worker exposures to EMF from MRI machines, apparently issued by granola-heads:

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

shaner to Styvas

Premium Member

to Styvas
Methinks You should be strongly thinking about picking up some protective boxers.

»www.lessemf.com/personal.html

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to Styvas

Premium Member

to Styvas
There are quite a few knowledgeable electrical people in the home improvement forum which could provide you with specifics, however if I recall correctly the minimum space around panels is 3 feet (that is 3 feet in front and to the sides of equipment) that must be left clear. In a commercial setting the space could be more. Clear means that the area NOTHING is within that space that would block or interfere with access (even a little box or something that is quite movable is not allowed).

I can’t say about exposure limits; though I don’t think you are allowed to use an electrical room as an office space, I personally would be driven insane by the hum. "It hums because it doesn't know the words"

Wolfie007
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member

1 edit

Wolfie007 to shaner

Premium Member

to shaner
said by shaner:

Methinks You should be strongly thinking about picking up some protective boxers.

»www.lessemf.com/personal.html
Thanks for the chuckle! I really like the hat...
quote:
Protect your brain from RF (radio-frequency) pollution with this handsome baseball style hat ... Research links RF radiation with behavioral and cellular disturbances. Many people can actually sense the differences in the levels of "mind noise" from RF radiation. Provide your brain a quiet place without interference to your mental processes from RF radiation.

Now I won't have to wear this...