uniqs
share rss forum feed

rustypixel
Rustypixel

join:2001-03-23
Old Bridge, NJ

1 edit

Ceiling fan noise

It's not the typical noise people often complain about. I have a Hunter fan with a light. I have the system set up so It's on a remote as well as a wall control. When the fan runs everything is fine and all "normal" noises are heard. but as soon as the light is turned OFF there is a light, high pitched "whine" It's not loud, but definitely heard in a quite room. The noise stops as soon as the light is turned ON. The sound starts as soon as the light is turned OFF (from either remote or wall) and goes away as soon as the light is turned ON. The electrician I had instal the unit says that it's a normal buzz or hum and there isn't anything I can do about it. As soon as I get recessed lights put in I'll take off the light from the fan so it's not a major issue but I am curious to get some feed back.

Thanks.
--
Out of my mind and out of control!

seaquake
Premium,MVM
Millersville, MD
I never have heard a hum or buzz form a ceiling fan light. I'm assuming you're using an incandescent and you aren't using any type of dimmer?

I have a dimmer on my bathroom light and when it's not at full intensity you can hear a bit of a buzz. What is the wattage of your bulb(s) and do they appear to be the correct brightness for the wattage? Perhaps test the bulb out in another lamp to compare. I'm thinking it may not be getting the full power it needs to run the bulb.

I'm with you...something doesn't sound right...

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
reply to rustypixel
I've had that happen a few times. It's the control pack up in the fan. They make a high pitched whine that many people cannot hear.
Does it do it with the light on at full intensity? I've found that it's worse when dimming.
--
Looks like Reverend Wright got his wish - God Damn America.

rustypixel
Rustypixel

Old Bridge, NJ
reply to rustypixel
The fan is on a dimmer and the two bulbs are 60 watt each as required.
PLEASE NOTE - I made an error in my original post. The whine is heard when the lights are SHUT OFF and not when turned on. And this is only when the fan is running. I apologize for the screw up in my describing the issue and will edit my original post.
Again, the whine only happens when the lights are off and the fan is running at any speed. The whine stops when the lights are turned on.

Thanks.
--

mityfowl
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX
It's the lights/light bulbs/light kit vibrating.

Most of these cheap ass Chinese kits just sux. Try taking the light kit apart and tightening everything you can.

It still might not fix it.

seaquake
Premium,MVM
Millersville, MD
reply to rustypixel
Well now, that changes things. I've got a Hunter ceiling fan without a light kit and the low hum is certainly noticeable in a quiet room. IN my other 3 bedrooms I have Builder's Choice fans from Lowe's and they aren't nearly as noisy as the Hunter is. So the noise you are hearing may be normal.

Why does it go away when you turn the lights on? Good question.

mityfowl
Premium
Dallas, TX

1 edit
Rheostat/dimmers will make them hum too. Hunter makes different types of fans. From cheap ass to the oil bath ones I have.

The oil bath won't hum using the 3 way switch. They also way 50 lbs! Most people won't spend the money for the oil bath even though they will last 50 years. And I sorta don't blame them.

I have 1 cheap hunter and it can make noise but I'm sure that's the light kit.

You and I can tell by putting your fingers lightly on the light kit when on low and seeing if the noise either dissapates or stops.

mrknowitall

@anonymouse.org
reply to rustypixel
maybe the noise is due because off bad design, poor quality, or factory dud.

from what i know there is normal humming noise from the motor but it's usually not that loud. all there is in a ceiling fan is a motor, motor capacitor, one on and off switch for light, one 3 way switch for fan speed, one switch to reverse direction in fan motor, and curcuitry to pic up the remote signals.

other then that noise can be cause due to:

- unbalanced blades
- metal to glass vibrations (at the screws that hold the glass piece)
-metal to metal vibrations (at the motor housing and/or light fixture attachment)

there are tricks to stops those noises (not the motor hum) but you might try exchanging it or getting a different model.

whizkid3
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY
kudos:9
reply to rustypixel
The impedance in the lightbulbs are likely dampening the whine from the fan motor. Little you can do about it, other than replace the fan with one of a better quality.

tmh

@verizon.net
reply to rustypixel
said by rustypixel:

I have a Hunter fan with a light. I have the system set up so It's on a remote as well as a wall control.
Rustypixel, does the remote/wall control allow for continuously variably fanspeed, or just 3-speed control? The continuously variable versions tend to hum.

Also, are you using CFLs? Perhaps they are not fully off but just dimmed. Dimming these will case them to hum. The latest remotes will allow CFL usage, but you need to disable the dimming option on the remote.

hope this helps.

Koil
Premium
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC
kudos:2
reply to rustypixel
I would try taking the light bulb out completely and then see if the noise still occurs when the switch is in the off position, or if it occurs all the time. If it occurs all the time, I would say its something to do with the light bulb...maybe try another one, or as someone mentioned, the light bulb gives enough impedance to stop the noise. If it only happens when the switch is in the off position, you know its something internal to the fan and can either start breaking it apart and tightening or replacing switches...or easier and less frustrating would be to buy a new one. Myself, I would probably see what I could do with that one first...there's only so many things it can be, as someone also pointed out.
--
Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
-Mark Twain

My Blog - Raising Connor - »raisingconnor.blogspot.com/ - updated 3/11/09

rustypixel
Rustypixel

Old Bridge, NJ
reply to rustypixel
OK, I changed the bulbs and it still happens. The wall control has three buttons; low, medium. and High. Then it has a single button for the light that is pressed and held to dim/brighten. The remote has three buttons to control fan speed (low, medium and high) as well as an "off" button for the fan and a light button that needs to be pressed and held to dim/brighten. No matter ho bright or dim the light is, or from what source I turn the light off (wall control or remote), the system whines. This happens with the on and at any speed.
I really appreciate the replies and suggestions but I honestly don't want to worry about this too much. In a month or so I'm going to get recessed lights and will remove the light from the fan. That will more than take care of the problem.
I'm divorced and the $$ just isn't there for the Casablancas or Minkas that I was used to having. Those are nice.

Thank you all again.
--

catsandra

@aol.com
reply to rustypixel

Re: Ceiling fan noise-clicking sound

My ceiling fans first made a click click noise while on high so i started using the med. now last night it's clicking on medium. What can I do. I'm not a good handyman.

mityfowl
Premium
Dallas, TX
Your click click is probably the chain hitting the housing. Take a good look.