marti
Color outside the lines
MVM
join:2001-12-14
Houston, TX

marti

MVM

Bath Towel reviews

New bath towels falls under "home improvement," in my opinion. I tried to find a site that reviews bath towels, but never did find it.

I want nice thick towels that last forever. I have over 20-year-old towels now (from Sears back when they had good stuff), and am not sure where I should start looking. The towels I have don't have any holes in them (yet) but it's time for new towels.

thanks!

shinjuru

join:2000-10-29
West Coast

shinjuru

Oddly, enough. I'm always looking for the same. It's hard finding thick, long lasting towels.

jrs8084
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Statesville, NC

1 edit

jrs8084 to marti

Premium Member

to marti
Actually, I welcome this sort of question.

It used to be that you could go to a higher end store and get higher end things. (Fields, Macy's, Lord & Taylor, Belk, etc.). Now, it is the same cheap !@#$% that the big boxes sell, but with a higher price tag. I used to watch for sales, and get good deals

Is there any hope, short of some ridiculously priced special order?

rockotman
...Blown On The Steel Breeze
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06
DSotM

rockotman to marti

Premium Member

to marti
Hotel towels are the best.

Just scarf one anytime you stay in a hotel.

jrs8084
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Statesville, NC

jrs8084

Premium Member

said by rockotman:

OT, but I will post: I worked at a hotel in HS through college-you know what the most stolen items were from the rooms? Towels? No, guess again. It was the light bulbs!! You really have to be cheap to want to carry off a used bulb

CKizer
Premium Member
join:2003-01-29
Tijeras, NM

1 recommendation

CKizer to marti

Premium Member

to marti
The gay guy got you covered (actually, my boyfriend found them).

The "Simply Vera" by Vera Wang bath towels at Kohls.

»www.kohls.com/kohlsStore ··· wels.jsp

SandShark5
Long may you run
Premium Member
join:2000-05-23
Santa Fe, TX

SandShark5 to rockotman

Premium Member

to rockotman
said by rockotman:

Granted, I don't stay at 5-star hotels, so I can't speak for their towels. But, the towels at the hotels I have stayed at ain't that great.

kim
MVM,
join:2001-03-25
ON

kim to marti

MVM,

to marti
Two words - Restoration Hardware.
*sigh*

»www.restorationhardware. ··· t1535021

whatevrzclvr
join:2005-11-16
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

whatevrzclvr to CKizer

to CKizer
The gays have it - the Simply Vera towels at Kohls are a great value, thick, and long lasting.

Penney's and Bed Bath & Beyond also have some great deals. Stay away from the expensive retailers - the softness wears out quickly and put out TONS of lint.

Chuck22
Premium Member
join:2003-11-10
Salt Lake City, UT

Chuck22 to marti

Premium Member

to marti
Also at Kohl's -- Laura Ashley Lifestyles towels. Soft, absorbent, long lasting, and practically lint free.

sfogliatelle
We Is Whut We Am
Premium Member
join:2002-05-29
Baton Rouge, LA

sfogliatelle to marti

Premium Member

to marti
from »www.homefurnish.com/bedb ··· ls.aspx:
Cotton, cotton everywhere and not a drop of water left unabsorbed.

Feel the power of Supima bath towels or luxuriate in the finest Egyptian cotton.

Historically, many different materials have been used to manufacture bath towels. In Europe, linen was a primary bath towel material until about the 19th century, when the mechanization of the textile industry made cotton bath towels cheaper and easier to produce. Most bath towels manufactured today are made from 100% cotton or cotton blends with synthetic materials such as polyester.

Cotton and its dis-contents

The strength and absorbency of cotton bath towels can be determined from the type of cotton used and the quality of its manufacturing. The best cotton bath towels are thick and feature long and densely packed loops or piles designed to efficiently capture and absorb water. The term terrycloth is often used to describe the piled fabric of cotton bath towels.

These are some of the materials used to manufacture bath towels:

Upland cotton

Upland cotton is the main type of cotton grown in America. Bath towels made from 100% upland cotton would feature short or medium staples. The staple is the measurement of a cotton fiber's length and fineness. Longer staple cottons are higher quality.

Egyptian cotton

Egyptian cotton bath towels are among the most popular. Egypt is a leading producer of extra long staple cotton, or cotton with a staple of 37mm or more. Bath towels made from 100% Egyptian cotton are some of the most luxurious, soft, and plush bath towels you'll find.

Modal

Be sure to check the label when purchasing bath towels, as some are made from a blend of 50% Egyptian cotton and another material such as Modal. Modal is a bio-based fiber trademarked by the company Lenzing AG. It is a rayon-like textile made from beechwood cellulose and is 50% more absorbent than cotton.

Microcotton

Don't get micro cotton confused with microfiber. They are two different materials. Micro cotton bath towels are extremely soft and absorbent and are made from 100% Sea Island cotton, an excellent long staple cotton. Bath towels made from micro cotton make for soft and fluffy luxury bath towels.

Microfiber

Microfiber is a tightly woven, soft, and lightweight synthetic fiber typically made from a blend of rayon, polyester, acrylic, or nylon. Because microfiber is so thin, bath towels made from it require more fibers in a smaller surface area, which enhances water absorbency. Microfiber bath towels are excellent for travel, as they are soft and ultra absorbent, gentle and quick drying.

Supima

Like Modal, Supima is a trademarked name for its material. Unlike Modal though, Supima is 100% cotton. Supima cotton is an extra-long staple cotton that is extremely soft and durable. Supima is short for superior Pima, which is another long staple cotton fiber.

Supima bath towels are comparable in quality to Egyptian cotton bath towels. As with Egyptian bath towels, it's advisable to check the label when buying Supima bath towels. The label may state 100% Cotton, but this number could be derived from a blend of Supima cotton with upland cotton.

How to Improve Towel Absorbency

New towels may take 3-4 washings before they gain their full absorbency potential as well as softness and fluffiness. However, the most common deterrent to absorbency is fabric softener. These chemicals build up on the fibers and reduce the towel's ability to absorb. To fluff up the loop on your towels, shake them before you put them in the dryer and again when you take them out.

Other Care Tips:

* Wash dark towels before use to reduce their tendency to bleed.
* Use 1 cup of vinegar when washing towels the first time as it will help set the color.
* Use non-chlorine bleach.
* Use about half the normal amount of detergent.
* Use ¼ - ½ cup of vinegar in the rinse water to remove soap residue.

The fiber of their being
Most towels today are made from cotton or cotton blends, but the type of cotton fiber used has a huge impact on the towel's durability, feel and color-fastness. Here's a quick rundown of some common fibers and what they bring to the towel bar:

Bamboo
Made from Bamboo grass, Bamboo fiber has a velvety soft texture and a lustrous appearance that dyes well. Usually blended with cotton, bamboo towels are naturally anti-bacterial and mildew-resistant. Because the bamboo plant is highly sustainable, fast-growing and doesn't require pesticides, this fiber is also an environmentally friendly choice.

Eqyptian Cotton
The "king" of cottons. Favored in luxury markets, Egyptian cotton is grown in Egypt's warm climate and prized for its extra-long, fibrous threads. This density produces a highly absorbent cotton that is strong yet breathable. Exceptionally durable, Egyptian cotton towels can last for years with proper care.

MicroCotton®
A trademark for a high-quality, long-staple cotton fiber developed in India. Its soft and plush fibers create a fluffy towel with a suede-like texture and excellent absorbency.

Organic Cotton
Certified organic cotton is grown under highly controlled conditions without the use of pesticides or synthetic fertilizers, and specially harvested to ensure sustainability and little environmental impact. Eco-friendly dyes are often used in conjunction with organic cotton to create a truly environmentally friendly towel.

Pima (or trademarked Supima) Cotton
Often grown in the warm, dry climate of the southwestern United States, Pima cotton is made from the same plant as Egyptian cotton. Known for producing rich, extra-long staple fibers prized for their strength and absorbency, Pima is considered to be a superior blends of cotton.

Turkish Cotton
Grown exclusively in Turkey, Turkish cotton is a premium cotton featuring an extra-long staple. This long staple creates a towel with a high level of comfort, absorbency and durability.

Under construction
Almost as important as a towel's fiber is the yarn's construction---how the yarn is actually made. The three common construction techniques below are used to produce diverse yarns with unique properties.

Combed
As the name implies, combed cotton has literally been "combed" to remove short, uneven fibers and debris resulting in longer, stronger and more lustrous cotton perfect for weaving.

Ringspun
Unlike low-twist cotton, ringspun cotton is constructed from a combination of long and short staple yarn. Ringspun fibers are tightly twisted together to create a stronger, smoother and finer yarn. This method produces a more refined feel than that of a basic combed cotton yarn.

Twist
Twist refers to the number of twists per inch of yarn. The lower the amount of twist in a yarn, the more plush the towel will be. A higher twist adds strength and uniformity to a yarn, resulting in a more durable, substantial feeling towel. Low- or zero-twist fabric can only be constructed from longer staple cotton yarn.

Nothing more than feelings
Let's face it – when you forget about the color choices, decorative details, technical terms and the varieties of cotton, the perfect towel is the one you think feels best. So before you buy, you should consider your "towel type": light and fluffy or substantial and dense. There's no right answer, but understanding the difference will help you make the right choice.

Light & fluffy towels
Typically woven with zero or low-twist yarn, these towels have longer loops, also called pile, that add a fluffiness you can run your fingers through and an almost airy feel. Absorbent without feeling "thirsty", they efficiently wick water away rather than soaking it up and feel light against the skin.

Heavy & substantial towels
Most often crafted from high-twist or multi-ply yarn, these towels have a shorter, more densely woven pile and a substantial, weighty feel. Soft to the touch, the uniform surface of the towel is exceptionally dense and absorbent, soaking up water quickly.

By Katie Allison: GranjuBath towels may be the hardest working members of your household. After all, we expect our towels and washcloths to keep us clean, dry us off, add to the look of our bathroom and, occasionally, wipe up after Fluffy tracks mud into the house. However, despite their versatility, towels are often underappreciated, with many people putting little thought into which type of towel they buy and bring home. But with a little knowledge, your towels will look, last and perform better in their many roles.

FABRIC
All towels have a fabric weight, measured with a GSM (grams per square meter) number. This refers to the density of the fabric used to make that particular towel. Lower GSM towels are lighter and thinner, making them a great choice for a gym bag or trips to the beach. You'll likely want to save your heavier, thicker, higher GSM towels for use in the master or guest bathroom.

Most towels are made of cotton, but the look and feel of towels largely depends on what type of cotton is used. Towels designed and priced for everyday use are made of standard cotton, while Egyptian cotton is considered the crème de la crème of towel fabrics. These more expensive towels have longer, more-fibrous threads, meaning that each towel will have more moisture-sucking loops per inch. The ultra-soft, super-fluffy bath towels found in high-end spas and hotels are typically Egyptian cotton or increasingly, the American-grown version, called pima cotton, which offers a similarly luxurious look and feel.

But buyer beware, warns interior designer Carla Sanclemente, of Sanclemente Designs in Hartford, Conn. Some manufacturers sell towels advertised as "made with" Egyptian or pima cotton, when in fact the fabric may have other materials in its makeup.

"Sometimes, 'luxury' bath towels actually have synthetics in them, to give a shinier look," says Sanclemente. "And this restricts absorbency."

When shopping for better towels, be sure to check the labels and look for fabric of 100 percent Egyptian cotton, or for the Supima trademark,which guarantees a towel is made of 100 percent American pima cotton.

Other types of fabric are also starting to find their way into today's bath towels, including Modal, made of cellulose from beech trees. Its fans claim that it's about 50 percent more absorbent than even cotton alone, and that it won't fade over time, making it an excellent choice for bath towels.

Eco-conscious buyers can look for organic cotton towels or towels made from bamboo, which have a looser, velvety-soft texture compared to cotton towels. Bamboo, along with the newer hemp towels, has natural mildew-resistant qualities.

Unlike towels made from these natural products, microfiber towels are made of engineered fibers. They are lighter and thinner than cotton towels, with a suedelike texture and excellent absorbency. These specialty towels are popular for wringing water from wet hair without being too heavy.

STYLE
Because towels offer a relatively painless and inexpensive way to complement or change the look of your bathroom, decorators say they're a great way to have fun with design. Rather than trying to precisely match your towels to your wallpaper or paint, use them instead to draw out or accentuate the look you want.

"Towels are accessories, so why not use them to shake up the look of your loo?" says Jason Oliver-Nixon, creative director of NYC-based design firm John Loecke, Inc. "I use towels just as I use the accessories in my wardrobe. They give some sizzle and style to an area of the house that's often overlooked."

Designer Judith Wilson of Los Angeles agrees. "Towels are like the jewelry for a bathroom," she explains. "They are design accents, much like throw pillows in the living room."

No matter what the bathroom backdrop, an abundance of bright, colorful towels placed around the room provides stylish punch.

"I have four different colors of towels on the shelves in my bathroom, and the colors give the room a focal point," says Oliver-Nixon, who adds that he often changes his bath towels to reflect a new season or even a different mood.

For a more classic look, nothing says total luxury like a bathroom fully stocked with freshly laundered, fluffy white towels. It's a timelessly posh look that never goes out of style. London designer Nina Campbell (www.ninacampbell.com) suggests monogramming even less-expensive white towels for instant elegance.

One size does not fit all
Most bath towel collections offer a variety of sizes to fit your space, budget and personal preference. We recommend having three of each primary towel size – bath, hand and wash – per person in your household (and don't forget guests!) Check out the list below to see how each size stacks up:
Bath Towel: measures approximately 27x52"
The essential, do-it-all towel used for drying after a shower or bath.

Hand Towel: measures approximately 16x30"
This everyday towel gets plenty of usage drying hands after hand-washing.

Wash Cloth/Wash Towel: measures approximately 13x13"
This small square towel is used both in and out of the shower/bath to wash hands, body and face (don't forget behind the ears!)

Bath Sheet: approximately 35x60"
A bit more indulgent that a standard towel, this oversized towel is ideal for those who prefer more coverage after a shower or bath.

Fingertip Towel: measures approximately 11x18"
A bit smaller than a hand towel, this rectangular towel is often used in guest bathrooms in place of a hand towel.

Tub Mat: measures approximately 27x52"
A handy, tightly woven and highly absorbent towel used outside the tub or shower stall to prevent the floor from getting wet.

Following these simple towel-care tips will help you get years of use out of your new bath towels:

1. Wash once before use Washing your towels before using them for the first time will help set the color, improve absorbency and reduce lint.

2. Avoid fabric softeners Fabric softeners leave residue on the fibers that will reduce absorbency and stiffen the pile.

3. Add a dash of vinegar Add one cup of distilled white vinegar to the wash periodically to remove residue, improve absorbency and combat the musty smell sometimes found in damp towels.

4. Keep skin care products on your skin Avoid contact with skin care products to help minimize towel spotting and bleaching.

CARE
Bath towels of all types will look fresher and last longer if they are cared for properly. Manufacturers often coat new towels in a special fabric softener, which means the towels look extra fluffy and soft on the shelf but don't absorb water well when you first bring them home. For this reason, it's best to wash your new towels before first use.

"For the very first wash, add a cup of vinegar to the wash cycle," suggests Judith Wilson. "This will help to set the color and prevent fading, especially of deep tones." I've been doing this ever since reading about it here. The last three sets have been bought in Pennys and Target; all top brands, with 3-piece sets averaging $20-$25. the last set was on clearance at Target---paid $16.

While a tumble in the dryer assures a fluffy towel, you don't want to overdo it, says Nina Campbell.

"The heat from the dryer can really damage fibers," she says. "Try using a lower-heat setting, or alternate between air and heat drying."

Dark and brightly colored towels should be washed separately. For your special, more expensive towels, using Woolite or another gentle-care detergent will keep them at their fluffy best longer.

also, see:

»www.thegreenguide.com/bu ··· h-towels

»www.overstock.com/towel- ··· tic.html

»www.associatedcontent.co ··· els.html

»buy.lovetoknow.com/wiki/ ··· h_Towels

insomniac
Oh Yeah
Premium Member
join:2002-09-22
Naperville, IL

insomniac

Premium Member

Love the Supima towels. Kohl's had some excellent deals on those towels on Black Friday. They're the only place I'll buy towels at this point.

jack b
Gone Fishing
MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod

jack b to marti

MVM

to marti
Look around for bath sheets, they're larger than ordinary bath towels, and usually not a lot more $.$$

MrFixitCT
pay it forward

join:2000-12-01
Port Charlotte, FL

MrFixitCT to marti

to marti
We have several egyptian cotton bath towels from LL Bean, are very happy with them, still plush and wayyy absorbent after 10+ years

runnoft
Premium Member
join:2003-10-14
Nags Head, NC

2 edits

runnoft to marti

Premium Member

to marti
I haven't tried the Supima, Ashley, or Vera towels at Kohl's, or the Egyptian Cottons at LLBean, and if I did, maybe I'd say they were better, but we've had 5 star performance out of "Bamboo by Kassatex" towels. These blend bamboo and Egyptian cotton. I know what you're thinking: Bamboo???. But blended with Egyptian cotton, bamboo is amazingly soft and absorbent and these towels have held up well from a year or two of heavy use. We got them at a brick-and-mortar The Great Indoors, but online, they're no longer offering bath towel size:
»www.thegreatindoors.com/ ··· ion.aspx

Here's more info and an online store offering Bamboo by Kassatex bath towels for about $20 and bath sheets for about $35 (but IMO they feel three times as expensive):
»www.thegentlebathandcomp ··· 491a8b5e

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to marti

Premium Member

to marti
You can check Pottery Barn. I bought some huge turkish white bath towels from them 10 years ago, and they are just starting to get frayed on the side. They are huge and wrap my wife and daughter up very well.
I will check their site in a bit to see if they still have them. They were pricey but well worth it.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed to SandShark5

MVM

to SandShark5
said by SandShark5:

said by rockotman:

Granted, I don't stay at 5-star hotels, so I can't speak for their towels. But, the towels at the hotels I have stayed at ain't that great.
Completely agree - even Marriott towels are not that great.
wth
Premium Member
join:2002-02-20
Iowa City,IA

wth to jrs8084

Premium Member

to jrs8084
said by jrs8084:

said by rockotman:

OT, but I will post: I worked at a hotel in HS through college-you know what the most stolen items were from the rooms? Towels? No, guess again. It was the light bulbs!! You really have to be cheap to want to carry off a used bulb
Probably because people who want to read screw in their own 100w bulb....then don't put the hotels 60w'er back in when they take their 100w bulb out.

babwas
join:2005-04-09
Omaha, NE

babwas

I also used to work maintenance in a Four Points Sheraton. We always had 5 100w bulbs in every room (per Sheraton standards), and sometimes all 5 would be gone.

hsindogg
Premium Member
join:2002-06-21
Potomac, MD

hsindogg to CylonRed

Premium Member

to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

I stay at Marriott's a lot when traveling for both personal and work. Towels at Residence Inn's tend to be paper thin like, while Courtyards are hit or miss...JW's are plush.

For the OP, my wife buys towels from Pottery Barn. I'm sure they're made by someone else, and simply branded PB, but they are extremely plush, thick, and durable.
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

fartness (banned) to marti

to marti
Walmart ones have always worked for me... what is the difference?

SLD
Premium Member
join:2002-04-17
San Francisco, CA

SLD to CKizer

Premium Member

to CKizer
Those strips near the end are the killer for me. They don't absorb anything, and they tend to shrink and cause the towel to look horrible, even if it still feels good.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed to fartness

MVM

to fartness
Quality...

POB
Res Firma Mitescere Nescit
Premium Member
join:2003-02-13
Stepford, CA

POB to marti

Premium Member

to marti
said by marti:

I want nice thick towels that last forever.

LMAO. Evidently you haven't figured it out yet that the U.S. does not manufacture anything sustainable (other than consumer debt and TARP funds to billion dollar corporations.) No matter where you buy your towels or how much you pay, we're all using the same inferior shit manufactured in China that wears out within a month.

exocets_girl
Premium Member
join:2007-07-08
New Orleans, LA

exocets_girl to marti

Premium Member

to marti
If you're looking for high-quality towels without the high price tag, my advice would be to go to Target. The Thomas OBrien bath sheets are super plush, long-lasting, huge, and thick. My husband and I adore them, and they haven't lost their softness after many many washes. It's about $25.00 for a 3-piece set, but I'm pretty sure they sell just the bath sheets as well.

If you want to spend a little more, go with the gays... simply vera is nice!

Digital
As-Salamu Alaykum
Premium Member
join:2000-07-24
Wickliffe, OH

Digital to marti

Premium Member

to marti
You could always get a shamwoohoo!

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· IwgcJRiE

Just kidding, the Supima towels are probably some of the best towels I have ever bought.

no_one
@PHNX.QWEST.NET

no_one to fartness

Anon

to fartness
water and just feels comy
said by fartness:

Walmart ones have always worked for me... what is the difference?
Trust me I can get much, much better on sale cheaper (unless you buy really bottom of line.) Absorbs the water and just feels comfy.

So feel happy with your soon to wear out toilet paper towels.

tmh
@qwest.net

tmh to jrs8084

Anon

to jrs8084
said by jrs8084:

Many hotels use CFLs these days. They are not cheap.
tmh

tmh to marti

Anon

to marti
said by marti:

I want nice thick towels that last forever. I have over 20-year-old towels now (from Sears back when they had good stuff), and am not sure where I should start looking. The towels I have don't have any holes in them (yet) but it's time for new towels.

thanks!
Towels are so passe. Try the body dryer instead

»www.savortex.com/body_dryer.html

then get used to walking out of the shower buck-naked with a frizzy hairdo in your nether-region.

rockotman
...Blown On The Steel Breeze
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06
DSotM

rockotman to hsindogg

Premium Member

to hsindogg
said by hsindogg:
said by CylonRed:

I stay at Marriott's a lot when traveling for both personal and work. Towels at Residence Inn's tend to be paper thin like, while Courtyards are hit or miss...JW's are plush.

For the OP, my wife buys towels from Pottery Barn. I'm sure they're made by someone else, and simply branded PB, but they are extremely plush, thick, and durable.
I have been in a Residence Inn since last Thursday, and the reason I made my original comment about the hotel towels is that the towels here are mighty nice. Of course this is a fairly new property, too. Maybe it's time I told the wife to get some new towels back home.

Come to think of it, some of the worst towels I have ever used have also been at hotels.