how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

balaton

join:2003-03-28
Pomona, NY

[FWD] Free world dialup

Even since I actually paid the $30 for a couple of FWD numbers, I have problems making and receiving calls. All the tech documentation disappeared from the website. I used FWD for a very long time and was always able to fix the issues before. Now that it costs money, the whole thing went down the drain. I know that they changed their SIP server, but my reconfigured phones don't work even when they are 'registered'. Are the 612 613 numbers still around? Is there a test number?

usa2k
Blessed
Premium,MVM
join:2003-01-26
Redford, MI
kudos:3

612/613 look dead for my SIP calls from VOIPo

PX Eliezer7
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
reply to balaton

Have you looked at their websites:

»www.freeworlddialup.com/learnmor···features
says
We are experiencing technical difficulties right now.

»www.freeworlddialup.com/
converts to
»www.siptosip.net/
which says
Free World Dialup closed open enrollment for SIP registration and membership in order to focus on High Definition (HD) VoIP content and services. People interested in obtaining SIP credentials for participatition in FWD's HD End User Trial should send an email to fwd@pulver.com.

»www.freeworlddialup.com/help/
says
We are experiencing technical difficulties right now.

-------------------------------

So, what do folks think?

Is this a case of "We got the cash, so now let's dash?"

balaton

Pomona, NY
reply to usa2k

Hello usa2k,
the sip server is: sip.fwdi.net
Try that, maybe you have more luck than I do. Did you have to change your config at the end of March?

Test99
Premium
join:2003-04-24
San Jose, CA
kudos:1
reply to balaton

I just tried calling 613@fwd.pulver.com. Immediately there was a call back on the same phone (which accepts URI-dialed calls). Talking to myself on one phone was difficult. I conferenced the two calls together and got cascading echoes.

Test99
Premium
join:2003-04-24
San Jose, CA
kudos:1
reply to balaton

Dialing 613@sip.fwdi.net also resulted in an incoming call. I am not an FWD subscriber.

usa2k
Blessed
Premium,MVM
Redford, MI

1 edit
reply to balaton

sip:613@fwd.pulver.com stays dead silent.
sip:613@sip.fwdi.net gets a busy tone

EDIT: Well, I've lost interest ...

B
Premium,MVM
join:2000-10-28

1 edit
reply to balaton

Wow, so it really is a dead service now.

Remember after the pay program was announced, when we were watching that active connections counter waiting for it to drop to the floor?

»[Poll]What are your plans for FWD's pay to play?

So this is how tech pioneers die - with indifference.

-- B
--
In a realm outside causality and function

balaton

Pomona, NY

If Jeff said that well donate $30 for the past 8 year of service, I would have gladly done it, but that's not what was asked. I hoped that I am paying for continuing service. Anyone using Sipphone or something similar? Which one is working well?

balaton

Pomona, NY
reply to usa2k

usa2k, nice to see you after all these years in this forum. I haven't visited here regularly for many years. I remember you from the early Vonage years

usa2k
Blessed
Premium,MVM
Redford, MI
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..

said by balaton:

I remember you from the early Vonage years
As I recall you!

Yes, still here, the landscape keep changing, and the services keep growing.
I keep up with many forums on DSLR.

mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
Lilburn, GA
kudos:4

1 edit
reply to balaton

As PX Eliezer described about Teleblend Forum here, I believe the saying goes also WELL to FWD as a whole (let alone FWDOut is completely out a.k.a DEAD).

kieranmullen
Premium
join:2005-12-12
Portland, OR
reply to PX Eliezer7

Meh? Dash with their thousands hundreds tens of dollars ?

andre2

join:2005-08-24
Brookline, MA
reply to PX Eliezer7

said by PX Eliezer7:

So, what do folks think?

Is this a case of "We got the cash, so now let's dash?"
I created a free account back in December (no longer accessible). From the FWD forums (also no longer accessible) in the following months, there was no evidence that paid accounts had better service. People with paid accounts were unable to access them when I could. IMO there was never any intention of continuing service to anyone.

fortissimo

join:2003-10-17
Richmond, BC
reply to balaton

Hm a bit sad. I think Jeff is a good person (may be I'm biased as he is a ham radio operator also). We did exchange some emails some (long?) time ago and he was looking for fresh ideas to go (regarding FWD and VOIP), and I wrote him what I thought (as limited in industry experience since I never worked professionally in this area).

Now w/ the news coming out that RIM and Cisco joining to push Unified Comm., I wasn't far off telling him to look "hard" into adapting mobile side of things (aka cellphones or like devices).

Our convo didn't include FWD specifically though, and I had no privy info from him either.

I think it was a bad move for FWD trying to ask for subsciption money. It was just not the right timing, as service was dropping, not increasing; and it was hardly an incentive to ask for payment. They could look at an advertising support model, or something else, I don't know.

FWD has been around and free (as in beer), and free stuff has its own attraction. Changing to a paid model, is not easy, as paid model, requires its own incentive, which FWD lacks.

I didn't pay FWD a penny at all, but I do want to give them moral support if I could.

dberninger

join:2007-07-24
USA
reply to balaton

Folks,

The main thread seems to be FWD is not what it used to be.

This is quite correct.

How could it be? Jeff Pulver spent $4 million + on the service over the years as a experiment in support of the VON events.

VON events ended. The value of a standard SIP registration as an experiment ended.

The $30 annual service was assembled to support the users that did not want to bother jumping to one of the other free options.

FWD was always advertised as an "experiment" not a free ride in perpetuity.

FWD remains an "experiment" but at this point we are looking at activities in high definition voice.

Take a look at Jeff's HD Communication Summit in NYC on May 21, 2009 - »www.hdcomms.com

A basic standard definition legacy SIP registration service remains up under new SIP domain - sip.fwdi.net

my.FWD, FWD.Communicator, voicemail, service numbers, voicemail all reached end of life in March 2009.

Please send support questions to fwd@pulver.com.

If you are interested in the new HD activities, please contact me directly at the email address below.

Regards,

Dan

Daniel Berninger
CEO, FWD
sip HD: 1006@sip.fwdi.net
tel SD: +1.202.250.3838
e: dan@danielberninger.com
w: www.siptosip.net

PX Eliezer7
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms

said by balaton:

Even since I actually paid the $30 for a couple of FWD numbers, I have problems making and receiving calls. All the tech documentation disappeared from the website. I used FWD for a very long time and was always able to fix the issues before. Now that it costs money, the whole thing went down the drain. I know that they changed their SIP server, but my reconfigured phones don't work even when they are 'registered'. Are the 612 613 numbers still around? Is there a test number?
said by dberninger:

The $30 annual service was assembled to support the users that did not want to bother jumping to one of the other free options.

I am confused.

The original poster says that he DID pay his $ 30 fee. He was NOT asking for a "free ride". Yet he reports that he has ongoing problems with the service that he paid for.

Dan's response seems to ignore this issue and even seems to put everyone down.

----------------------------------

To my colleagues on this forum: Am I right or wrong in my reaction to Dan's response?

B
Premium,MVM
join:2000-10-28

Nope -- I read the response and was about to post exactly the observations you did. (What about the paying customer who started the thread?) At least they haven't lost their sense of arrogance, superiority, and entitlement, I guess.

I don't know this Berninger fellow too well, but I had thought Pulver was better than this kind of behavior. Take $30 in September, and declare "end of life" in March.

join:2007-07-24
USA

reply to balaton
Folks,

The main thread seems to be FWD is not what it used to be.

This is quite correct.

How could it be? Jeff Pulver spent $4 million + on the service over the years as a experiment in support of the VON events.

VON events ended. The value of a standard SIP registration as an experiment ended.

FWD remains an "experiment" but at this point we are looking at activities in high definition voice.

Take a look at Jeff's HD Communication Summit in NYC on May 21, 2009 - »www.hdcomms.com

A basic standard definition legacy SIP registration service remains up under new SIP domain - sip.fwdi.net

my.FWD, FWD.Communicator, voicemail, service numbers, voicemail all reached end of life in March 2009.

Please send support questions to fwd@pulver.com.

If you are interested in the new HD activities, please contact me directly at the email address below.

Regards,

Dan

Daniel Berninger
CEO, FWD
sip HD: 1006@sip.fwdi.net
tel SD: +1.202.250.3838
e: dan@danielberninger.com
w: www.siptosip.net
And the "main thread" here is not that it's "not what it used to be" but rather, that it appears to have run off with the money.
--
In a realm outside causality and function

usa2k
Blessed
Premium,MVM
Redford, MI
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
reply to PX Eliezer7

Re: [FWD] Free world dialup

FWD never really acted like an experiment. It was a wave of technology with vision. VoIP to VoIP without touching PSTN; looking out for the FCC not classing FWD and IM as phone service with fees and such. Jeff fostered the creativity of the VoIP landscape.

Jeff was good at promoting his vision on this site, and inspiring people. It was not so much about free, as it was about being pioneers.

Now it feels like FWD has embarked on being R&D hoping the masses will support their efforts, even if they do not relate to their current vision. I do not relate to this.

It seems like it was more necessary to tear down the culture they had than support many paths. If it was not affordable, then close it down and take that new direction. We could have been sad, but remembered the great days as technology pioneers. The vision has faded now, like mass emails, some will send money if you ask enough people, but the way it was handled felt more like a departure than continuation of a visionary plan.

That is my impression. FWD has an image problem, and threads like this should not be unexpected.
--

Jim, VoIP since 12/2002, VOIPo 2/7/2007
FAH-Tool ... Whales ... VOIPo Forum ... VOIPo Review

burgerwars

join:2004-09-11
Northridge, CA

1 edit

When FreeWorldDialup became $30 PaidWordDialup they advertised your $30 fee would cover as many FWD numbers as you want (your e-mail address was the linking factor). That did look like a decent deal, since if you had a collection of ATAs you didn't have much use for, you can stick them in all the rooms of your house, and your friends houses, and you can all use FWD, its voicemail, its toll-free dialing features, etc., all for $30 a year.

Now that $30 only gets you a dialtone with the ability just to call other FWD users. Who needs that, as you can make ATA to ATA calls without any service. The configuration login page also seems to have vanished. I paid the $30 as it gave another year to think things over. Now the way it is it has no value. No way I'm renewing. But I don't even think they'll be bothering asking for renewals, as they'll let be letting it die.

burgerwars

Northridge, CA
reply to dberninger

Re: [FWD] Free world dialup

said by dberninger:

Folks,

contact me directly at the email address below.

Regards,

Daniel Berninger
CEO, FWD
Out of curiosity, I looked at the site. I see it's a one day conference and a conference schedule, but the one big thing that is missing is where it is! All I can find is it is in New York City. New York City is a big place. The Hotel and Travel tab only says to contact Priceline or JetBlue for travel deals. It's kind of hard to book a convenient hotel if you don't know where convenient is. I guess I could requested a brochure if I was serious about going to figure out where it is. But lacking such basic information on their website makes me think they're about as serious about HD Voice as they were with FWD.

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·callwithus

This page refers to the event as "HDComm 2009"
»www.hdcomms.com/brochure.html

Googling, I find this page where it refers to "New World Stages"
»www.amiando.com/hdcomm.html

Googling that, I find:
»www.newworldstages.com/

Which shows an address of 340 West 50th St, New York, NY 10019

Too much detective work.

mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium
Lilburn, GA
reply to B

said by B:

Take $30 in September, and declare "end of life" in March.
Sounded like a perfect scam to me.

burgerwars

Northridge, CA

1 edit
reply to garys_2k

said by garys_2k:

Googling, I find this page where it refers to "New World Stages"

Which shows an address of 340 West 50th St, New York, NY 10019

Too much detective work.
Interesting place. Still, I'm not going.

celtic

join:2001-02-08
USA
reply to balaton

Is anyone really surprised? I don't think it was a scam but the principals never showed any enthusiasm for the new FWD.

Lots of good options. Move on.

balaton

Pomona, NY

My issue is that I did pay the $30 and knowing FWD and Jeff, I didn't think that it is a Nigerian scam. Once they switched to the new sip server, all my numbers stopped working. Anyway, I guess I can look for a new provider and I will be happy even if it is not HD voice.

balaton

Pomona, NY
reply to celtic

said by celtic:

Lots of good options. Move on.
Could you list some of them? Is Sipphone reliable?

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·callwithus
reply to burgerwars

said by burgerwars:

said by dberninger:

Folks,

contact me directly at the email address below.

Regards,

Daniel Berninger
CEO, FWD
Out of curiosity, I looked at the site. I see it's a one day conference and a conference schedule, but the one big thing that is missing is where it is! All I can find is it is in New York City.
LOL! I rechecked the website and I guess they read your post, because the address is now front and center! Never again think that burgerwars See Profile can't make a difference.

mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium
Lilburn, GA
reply to balaton

said by balaton:

My issue is that I did pay the $30 and knowing FWD and Jeff, I didn't think that it is a Nigerian scam.
Then, you need to fight FWD with this 419eater (baiting scams with scams).

mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium
Lilburn, GA
reply to balaton

said by balaton:

]Could you list some of them? Is Sipphone reliable?
I started using SIPPhone almost the same time I started using FWD. Since FWD went to PWD, I completely switched to SIPPhone. The services on SIPPhone are as good as FWD (not PWD). However, it too has been showing its aging factors and perhaps will soon demise itself like FWD did.