Search similar:

uniqs
Celestil
join:2009-05-04
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

Celestil

MI424WR-GEN2 Rev E Configuration Thread

I thought I would create this thread to begin the discussion on the new Actiontec MI424WR-GEN2 Rev E router. It seems there is not a great deal of informaiton on this router and I wanted to share my experiences with it.

1. The router does have a NAT issue. Using the stream browser I got approvimately 10K worth of servers before I lost internet access.

2. There is no way to view the NAT table on this router as this option does not appear as it does on the Westell.

3. Attempting to bridge the Actiontec along with having its IPs get retrieved from a secondary router (D-Link DIR 855) failed (router does not get WAN address).

I am connected via Coax to the ONT and would like to be able to bypass the NAT issue and maintain VOD/Widet functions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Celestil

Celestil

Well after some poking around I found the Security Log and this is what was logged:

Time Event Event-Type Details
May 4 19:20:52 2009 Firewall Info User authentication success Username: admin[repeated 2 times, last time on May 4 19:41:27 2009]
May 4 18:16:08 2009 Inbound Traffic Blocked - NAT Error: Not enough free memory to add a new connection [61] NAT Error: Not enough free memory to add a new connection:
May 4 18:15:40 2009 Outbound Traffic Blocked - NAT Error: Not enough free memory to add a new connection [61] NAT Error: Not enough free memory to add a new connection: [repeated 3 times, last time on May 4 18:15:57 2009]
May 4 18:15:39 2009 Inbound Traffic Blocked - NAT Error: Not enough free memory to add a new connection [61] NAT Error: Not enough free memory to add a new connection:

Currently my router is in the DMZ of the Actiontec

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

1 edit

More Fiber

MVM

You might find this thread interesting, if you haven't already found it.
»Verizon FiOS - Actiontec Router (Gen2) NAT PROBLEM!
Celestil
Brooklyn, NY

Celestil

Yes, I have seen that post. Its because of that thread that I created a new one. I wanted to clear up any confusion that there is a NAT problem and where someone can view if this is indeed occurring.

Since the "Rev D" bridging option doesn't work (at least for me) I was hoping clearing up any confusion would help start some troubleshooting.

Regards,

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

said by Celestil:

I am connected via Coax to the ONT and would like to be able to bypass the NAT issue and maintain VOD/Widget functions.
So far, no one has yet found a way to bridge the Westell or the Actiontec GEN2 routers using a coax connection.

See these threads regarding the attempts to bridge the Westell:
»I need help bridging my Westell 9100 EM router
»How do I turn my Verizon 9100EM Router into a "Bridge" ?

Your best bet is to switch your WAN connection from the ONT to cat5.

Kamika007z
@verizon.net

Kamika007z to Celestil

Anon

to Celestil
Hi all,

My family recently switched over to FiOS and I'm having difficulty setting up the MI424-WR Revision E to my DD-WRT which was previously running on Verizon DSL without any major issues.

Now I wish to use my DD-WRT yet again, as performance on the Actiontec is poor, but I haven't found a straighforward guide that would help with this. The only one I found was for the older versions of the Actiontec device.

Any help is appreciated.

Best,
Kamika007z

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

Since we haven't found a way to bridge the ActionTec Rev. E yet, the easiest say to do this is to run CAT5e Cabling from the ONT to where your router is, then call up the FSC and have them switch your ONT from Coax MoCa to Ethernet. That'll make it much more fiexible in the future when changing out routers and such as well.

Kamika007z
@verizon.net

Kamika007z

Anon

Smith6612,

Thank you, I think this is the better route as well.

Could I have Verizon switch the ONT to ethernet free of charge? We are still within the 30 days (it was installed last Thursday).

Also, what does the acronym FSC stand for?

And finally, if/when they switch it to Ethernet, can I just omit and remove the Actiontec and use my router instead of theirs at all?

Thank you,
Kamika007z

altermatt
Premium Member
join:2004-01-22
White Plains, NY

altermatt to More Fiber

Premium Member

to More Fiber
said by More Fiber:

Your best bet is to switch your WAN connection from the ONT to cat5.
More Fiber, as you know I'm getting my FIOS tomorrow; is this something I should request? I was ready to retire my old SMC router and don't mind using the Actiontec router for now, so not sure this is critical.

And thanks to all who pointed out that the instructions for using OpenDNS with the Actiontec on the OpenDNS site are wrong. Thought that might be appropriate here in this thread on configuring the Actiontec.

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612 to Kamika007z

MVM

to Kamika007z
Switch to Ethernet is free (it's all done via Software on the ONT), just as long as you do not ask anyone from Verizon to come out and run the Ethernet cabling.

Kamika007z
@verizon.net

Kamika007z

Anon

Could I open the ONT and run the ethernet myself?

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr

MVM

The user side on the ONT can be opened, and you can plug the cat5 cable in at the right place. You might want to be alert to what's the right place. At least one ONT has a RJ45 type connection that comes out to the POTS block, I think. If in doubt, post a pic and ask here.

Check out the FAQs starting here for more details. »Verizon FiOS FAQ »Replacing the Actiontec (part 1): Coax to Ethernet

Kamika007z
@verizon.net

Kamika007z

Anon

I just spoke to Verizon and have opened up a ticket with them regarding the ONT box and changing it over to RJ45.

I saw that there is an RJ45 connector as well as a coax which is currently being used. I ran a RJ45 wire from the box to the inside where the rest of the Verizon gear is and will call them tomorrow and connect it to the Actiontec.

My question is now this: when I call up Verizon and have them change over to the RJ45 connection, does that mean I will lose the coax connections (or any other coax-required connection) to each set top box as well?

Any additional info one can provide would be great.

Thank you!

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

1 recommendation

Smith6612

MVM

Your FiOS TV will still work. The ONT just won't be providing an internet signal via the Coax anymore. So, if you have FiOS TV, take your router and plug it into the RJ45 cabling, and then take the ActionTec you have and hang it off of your DD-WRT router. That way, the ActionTec will act as a NIM100 and can give your STBs information. To make sure though, since the boxes do store quite a bit of guide info in them, unplug the STBs and plug them back in and make sure they download guide data, once you verify that your Ethernet setup is in fact working.

Kamika007z
@verizon.net

Kamika007z

Anon

Smith6612 and birdfeedr thank you so much for making sense of all of this. I really do appreciate your time and patience with me so far.

Smith6612, which plugs into what ports? Can you please elaborate on that portion? Also, is there any settings I would need to change within the Actiontec MI424-WR Rev E that I would need to perform?

Or if there is any documentation on this specific modem, could you point me in the right direction as I've been only to find guides regarding the older revisions of this modem.

Thank you,
Kamika007z

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

said by Kamika007z :

which plugs into what ports? Can you please elaborate on that portion?
Everything you need to know is here:
»Verizon FiOS FAQ »Replacing the Actiontec (part 1): Coax to Ethernet
mario44222
join:2003-11-22
Cliffside Park, NJ

mario44222 to Celestil

to Celestil
Funny that this is mentioned. I just had to reboot my router before because the internet just simply stopped working. Even though all the lights were green. I rebooted the router and everything started to work again...

Kamika007z
@verizon.net

Kamika007z

Anon

Hi all,

Thank you very much for assisting me with this. Again, I really appreciate it

All is well thanks to you guys (and gals of course if there are any)

I added the Ethernet connection to the ONT, called up Verizon, made them switch over, tested with them that it works, then went ahead and connected the ONT Ethernet to my DD-WRT WAN port, and another Ethernet cable from the LAN of my DD-WRT to my Verizon WAN port.

After that, all is well. Thanks again!!
Maine2LA
join:2002-04-13
Venice, CA

Maine2LA to More Fiber

to More Fiber
bummer that no one (apparently) has been able to bridge the 9100... just got one today w/ my new FIOS install...

Kamika007z
@verizon.net

Kamika007z

Anon

acitrano,

Can you run an Ethernet connection from your ONT box instead and straight through to your 9100?
Celestil
Brooklyn, NY

Celestil

First, I would like to thank the community for all its help. I changed over my ONT to Ethernet and since it was within the 30-day trial I got someone to run the cable for me for free.

Any user can run an Ethernet cable from the ONT to thier home but you have to find a way to get the cable in the house somehow...I have an older home which does not havee a centralized "closet or room" so I needed a hole drilled into my home to let the cable in.

You could connect Ethernet to the ONT and terminate it at a wireless router outside the home and connect wirelessly to to the outside router but unless it can handle weather changes I wouldn't suggest it. Just showing you there is more than one way to skin a virtual cat.

Also, it seems the second Verizon guy had the capability of breaking the lease on the Actiontec from his laptop at his truck....just an FYI.
Celestil

1 recommendation

Celestil

All:

I recieved this answer on the Verizon forums on how to use this router and enable bridging. My setup is already Ethernet, so if anyone wants to give this a try and report back, please do so.

How I successfully bridged my Actiontec Rev E with VOD, widgets, guide.
My setup DIR-825 router

ActionTec LanPort 1 to DIR-825 WAN, DIR-825 Port 1 to ActionTec WAN.

1. Hardware Reset Router
2. Top Menu - Advanced - Restore Defaults
3. Top Menu – Advanced – System Setting – Disable Auto Wan Detection - Apply
4. Top Menu – Wireless Settings – Side Menu – Basic Security Settings – Wireless Off – Apply
5. Top Menu – Firewall Settings – Side Menu – General – Minimum – Apply
6. Top Menu – My Network – Side Menu – Network Connections – Advanced
7. Top Menu – My Network – Side Menu – Network Connections – Broadband(Coax) - Settings - Release – Apply
a. If address is not released properly you might have to wait 2 hours to retrieve another IP address from Verizon
8. Broadband(Coax) - Settings - IP Distribution – Disable – Apply
9. Broadband(Coax)- Settings – DNS Server – No DNS Server – Apply
10. Broadband (Coax) - Settings – IP Address – No IP Address - Apply
11. Top Menu – My Network – Side Menu – Network Connections – Network (Home/Office) - Settings – IP Distribution Disable – Apply
12. Network (Home/Office) - Settings – DNS Server – No DNS Server – Apply
13. Network(Home/Office) - Settings – Internet Protocol – Use the following IP Address –Apply
14. Network(Home/Office) - Settings – IP Address – Set to 192.168.x.1 where x is not used on your LAN – Apply
a. If you have changed the IP here you should change the properties of the network adapter attached to the Actiontec to have an IP assigned on the Actiontec LAN… i.e if setting was 192.168.5.1 , the IP of the computers wired network adapter could be 192.168.5.3
15. Network(Home/Office) – Settings – Uncheck Box to Left of Coax – Apply
16. Network(Home/Office) – Settings – Uncheck Box to Left of Wireless – Apply
17. Network(Home/Office) - Settings – Check Box to Left of Broadband(Coax) – Apply
18. Network(Home/Office) - Settings – Check STP Box to Right of Broadband(Coax) –Apply
19. Network(Home/Office) - Settings – Network – Broadband Connection -Apply
20. Top Menu – Advanced – MAC Cloning – Set Mac of Device – Broadband(Coax) –
a. Set the WAN MAC of the router to the MAC address listed here, write this down for now if you can’t do this now.
b. Set the Address here to the WAN MAC of the router that will be connected to the Actiontec to avoid conflicts

After the Above steps you should be able to reboot the Actiontec by turning off the power and run a cable from the LAN 1 port of the Actiontec to the WAN port of the desired router. The desired router should also be rebooted. After this step the desired router should be able to DHCP an address from Verizon…. If not there is a problem… Do not go further.

To Enable VOD, widgets, etc

Make sure Coax is no longer tabbed underneath Network(Home/Office)

1. Top Menu – My Network – Side Menu – Network Connections - Coax - Settings - IP Distribution – Disable – Apply
2. Coax- Settings – DNS Server – No DNS Server – Apply
3. Coax - Settings – IP Address – No IP Address – Apply
4. Coax - Settings – Network – Broadband Connection – Apply
5. Top Menu – My Network – Side Menu – Network Connections – Broadband(Ethernet) - Settings – Network – Network(Home/Office) – Apply
6. Broadband (Ethernet) - Settings - IP Distribution – Disable – Apply
7. Broadband(Ethernet)– Settings - DNS Server – No DNS Server – Apply
8. Broadband(Ethernet)– Settings - IP Address – No IP Address – Apply
9. Top Menu – My Network – Side Menu – Network Connections – Add – Network Bridging – Next – Add A New Bridge – Next – Select the Coax and Broadband (Ethernet) Checkboxes - Edit the New Connection – Finish
10. Top Menu – My Network – Side Menu – Network Connections - Bridge – Settings - Network – Broadband Connection – Apply
11. Bridge – Settings – Internet Protocol – Obtain IP address automatically – Apply
12. Bridge – Settings – DNS server – Obtain DNS automatically –apply
13. Bridge – Settings – IP Address Distribution – DHCP relay -Apply
14. Bridge – Settings – Routing – NAPT - Apply
15. Bridge – Settings – Select Route - Apply
16. Bridge – Settings – Check Box to Left of Coax (if not already checked) Check STP box to right of Coax – Apply
17. Bridge – Settings – Check Box to Left of Broadband(Ethernet) (if not already checked) Check STP box to right of Broadband(Ethernet) - Apply
18. Top Menu – My Network – Side Menu – Network Connections – Broadband (Ethernet) – Enable
a. This must be re-enabled if the router loses power

Run a cable from the LAN port of the desired router to the WAN port of the Actiontec

Remove and Reconnect Power to the STBs they should now be pulling IP addresses from the desired router

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

1 edit

More Fiber

MVM

That seems like a lot to trouble to go to. Since you have an ethernet connection to the ONT, did you try following the instructions here:
»Verizon FiOS FAQ »Replacing the Actiontec (part 3): WAN-to-LAN keeps Guide and VOD (easier)

edit:
Did you actually try these instructions with your Rev. E Actiontec while you were still on coax? The instructions you posted appear to be the same instructions posted here:
»Make your actiontec a bridge with VOD working with REV D

It is my undersanding based on posts here:
»I need help bridging my Westell 9100 EM router
»How do I turn my Verizon 9100EM Router into a "Bridge" ?
that the broadband coax and broadband ethernet connections can not be separated (part 1 step 17) on the Rev. E and Westells, which is required to make them function as a double bridge (coax WAN to ethernet WAN and ethernet LAN to coax LAN).

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

1 edit

birdfeedr

MVM

Whoops! It's late. Original post says coax connection. 5/14 post says it can be done, not that it was done. So may still be on coax.

This looks like the regular Bridge w/ VOD steps, at least at first glance. Personalized for the Rev. E.

Pureblood
'Let's Go Brandon'
Premium Member
join:2000-10-18
PorkRoll NJ
·Optimum Online
(Software) pfSense
Netgear WAX630

Pureblood to Smith6612

Premium Member

to Smith6612
said by Smith6612:

Your FiOS TV will still work. The ONT just won't be providing an internet signal via the Coax anymore. So, if you have FiOS TV, take your router and plug it into the RJ45 cabling, and then take the ActionTec you have and hang it off of your DD-WRT router. That way, the ActionTec will act as a NIM100 and can give your STBs information. To make sure though, since the boxes do store quite a bit of guide info in them, unplug the STBs and plug them back in and make sure they download guide data, once you verify that your Ethernet setup is in fact working.
there’s a little more than just that, in addition to running CAT5 for the new router he will need to re-route the coax.

1. He will need a coax run FROM the ONT TO the splitter
2. He will also need coax run FROM the splitter TO the bridge (A/T or NIM100)

he may be able to salvage the one length of coax running from the ONT, but he will be running some additional coax for sure.
Celestil
Brooklyn, NY

Celestil to More Fiber

to More Fiber
I attempted the below and it FAILED

»Make your actiontec a bridge with VOD working with REV D

The instructions I posted came from another forum. I can no longer try this. I have not examined the instructions, I merely posted them the moment I got them.

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to Pureblood

MVM

to Pureblood
said by Pureblood:

there’s a little more than just that, in addition to running CAT5 for the new router he will need to re-route the coax.

1. He will need a coax run FROM the ONT TO the splitter
2. He will also need coax run FROM the splitter TO the bridge (A/T or NIM100)

he may be able to salvage the one length of coax running from the ONT, but he will be running some additional coax for sure.
If someone already has internet over coax and FIOS-TV, their Actiontec is already connected to the main splitter. There is no need to reroute the coax. Adding a coax run through the splitter is only necessary when adding FIOS-TV to an internet only install.

Pureblood
'Let's Go Brandon'
Premium Member
join:2000-10-18
PorkRoll NJ
·Optimum Online
(Software) pfSense
Netgear WAX630

Pureblood

Premium Member

That’s true and I should have been more specific and said adding or changing locations.

What I should have said is it’s going to require a little more than going to BestBuy and picking up a 25ft patch cable if he (or she) plans to keep it semi neat by concealing the install. But if the guy doesn’t mine cables, power strips, and power supplies obstructing the living space have at it. Now may be a go time to reconfigure if necessary
dsl_sutra
join:2003-12-25
united state

2 edits

dsl_sutra to Celestil

to Celestil
Wouldn't it be easier just bite the bullet - buy a NIM-100?
said by Celestil:

All:

I recieved this answer on the Verizon forums on how to use this router and enable bridging. My setup is already Ethernet, so if anyone wants to give this a try and report back, please do so.

How I successfully bridged my Actiontec Rev E with VOD, widgets, guide.
My setup DIR-825 router

ActionTec LanPort 1 to DIR-825 WAN, DIR-825 Port 1 to ActionTec WAN...

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

1 edit

More Fiber

MVM

said by dsl_sutra:

Wouldn't it be easier just bite the bullet - buy a NIM-100?
A NIM-100 can not be used as a MOCA WAN bridge between the ONT and an ethernet router.

p.s. It really wasn't necessary to quote the instructions again.