how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

xxx55

@verizon.net
reply to Celestil

Re: MI424WR-GEN2 Rev E Configuration Thread

question to MI424WR experts: is it possible to have one computer in DMZ (all ports routed) and another one via NAT (one or 2 ports routed)?

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:30

said by xxx55 :

question to MI424WR experts: is it possible to have one computer in DMZ (all ports routed) and another one via NAT (one or 2 ports routed)?
Not a problem. NAT rules take precedence.

i.e. If computer A is in the DMZ and computer B has port 1234 forwarded, if a packet comes in for port 1234, it will be forwarded to computer B. If a packet comes in for any other port (and no applicable rules), the packet will be forwarded to the DMZ (computer A).

tdhstd

@verizon.net

yay! thanks

scredly

@verizon.net
reply to Celestil

I configured my MI424WR-GEN2 Rev E the other day following previously posted directions to call and have ethernet activated on ONT and dropping the WAN IP before disconnecting MI424WR-GEN2 Rev E .

Changed IP on MI424WR-GEN2 Rev E to 192.168.0.1. Everything else default settings. Not using MI424WR wi-fi so I turned it off. Leave coax connected to feed STB's. Turned off MI424WR.

Went ethernet from ONT to WAN input my D-link DGL-4100 setting input to DHCP. Kept IP range the same on my existing network. Rebooted router. Picked up Verizon IP.

Went LAN out from D-link to WAN input on MI424WR. Turned MI424WR back on.

Unplug STB's to pickup fresh IP.

Done.

Using my existing network for internet and have guide and VOD on STB's. I have standard DVR not HomeMedia and do not use Media Manager software.

mike202

join:2009-10-03
Richmond, VA
reply to Celestil

Hello, I this thread is just what I have been looking for. I have Actiontec MI424WR Rev E, does not say GEN2 though, hope I am still in the right place. I have firmware 20.9.0. I have tried to follow the steps but keep getting hung up on part 1, step 14. I tried to set my IP address to 192.168.2.1, when I press "apply", the router does not progress. It stays on "please wait for changes to be applied" and sits for 10 minutes without change. In the status bar it says something like "finding page..." while processing. I don't know how to change the IP of the computer if I should do it at this stage. I also have not set up or plugged in my D-Link DIR-655 at this step, isn't that correct? I feel foolish for not being able to get past this step, and appreciate any help. Thanks!

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA

1 edit

said by mike202:

I have tried to follow the steps but keep getting hung up on part 1, step 14.
See the clarification of step 14 in this post and also the second one following it:
»Re: MI424WR-GEN2 Rev E Configuration Thread

mike202

Richmond, VA

said by More Fiber:

said by mike202:

See the clarification of step 14 in this post and also the second one following it:

mike202

Richmond, VA

1 edit
reply to More Fiber

said by More Fiber:

said by mike202:

Ok, I am new to this and I feel I am missing a step or two. I'll try to paste and comment.
Step 14 says to change the IP. I don't know what to change it to. It says to change it to one not used on my LAN. Meaning, as a gateway, it should have a different IP from the gateway IP of my router? So if its currently the default of 192.168.1.1, should my router gateway IP be 192.168.2.1, something like that?
It just needs to be different from the LAN side subnet of your Linksys. 192.168.2.1 is fine. When you change it, your will need to set your PC to a static IP address on the same subnet. e.g. 192.168.2.2
Yes, you can leave the Actiontec on 192.168.1.1, as long as the Linksys has a different subnet. This becomes the "admin" address for the Actiontec.

(mike20) At step 14, before (a), I typed in 192.168.2.1 under "IP address" and clicked on "apply." I did not change any setting for my computer yet, and I don't know how or where to do this. I was shown a screen that said something like "are you sure you want to do this? Open another browser to 192.168.2.1" I tried to do this before clicking apply, and got no connection. I tried to click apply without doing anything else, and got the 10-minute wait with no progress. What am I missing?

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA

When you change the address of the Actiontec to 192.168.2.1, your PC can no longer communicate with it, since your PC obtained a DHCP address on the 192.168.1.x subnet. The easy solution to that would be to reboot your PC, but the DHCP server in the Actiontec has been disabled (step 11). Therefore, you need to assign your PC a static IP address. This can vary by OS.

For XP:
•Start->Settings->Network Connections
•Right click->Properties on the appropriate interface.
•Highlight Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
•Click on Properties
•Select Use the Following IP Address
•IP Address = 192.168.2.2
•Subnet mask = 255.255.255.0
•Default gateway = 192.168.1.1
•Click OK
•Click OK again
You should now be able to connect to the Actiontec at 192.168.2.1

mike202

Richmond, VA

1 edit

Thanks More Fiber, that solved the problem. I was able to get through step 20. I could not get my DIR-655 to access the internet after that though, so I called D-Link support. He had me change my router IP to 192.168.10.1, and change my network properties under TCP/IP to "obtain IP address automatically" and "use the following DNS server" which for my DLink is 192.168.0.1, with alternate of 4.2.2.2. This has worked, and I can access internet normally.

The problem now is the same several others have had, I cannot access my Actiontec again to complete the last 18 steps. I believe I need to give it a static IP address, but can't get to it. I tried hooking LAN from DLink to Actiontec LAN, LAN directly from my computer to Actiontec, also from another laptop (though already wirelessly connected to the network) to Actiontec LAN with no success, using the IP 192.168.2.1 I assigned to it in step 14. Do I need to reboot my Actiontec at any time? Change the default IP for my computer to access the network?

Thanks for the help!

By the way, my computer's IP address is now 192.168.10.199.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA

As noted in my previous post, the Actiontec already has a static address of 192.168.2.1. You can not access the 192.168.2.x subnet from the 192.168.10.x subnet.

To complete the remaining steps, follow the instructions in my previous post to set the IP address of your PC back to 192.168.2.2 and connect it to the Actiontec. No need to reboot the Actiontec.

mike202

Richmond, VA

OK, thanks, I've been looking at this so long I am getting fuzzy about all the steps. Your instruction worked. Now my configuration looks just like MadMint's except in Network (Home/Office) Properties page under Network I still have "broadband connection" instead of "Network (Home/Office)". The last instruction I see directly addressing this was in part 1, step 19. Did I miss a step? Will either one work, or do I need to change this to Network (Home/Office)? Thanks again for all your help!

mike202

Richmond, VA

It's been a few days and it seems like everything is working, thanks so much for your help!

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA

Glad you got it working.

Geffel34

@spcsdns.net
reply to Celestil

Newbie Question
I would like to set up a second MI424WR Rev e as a bridge so that I can access my home network from a room that currently only has moca coax. I have seen in other forums that this is possible with earlier models of mi424wr. I only need to access my home network and not the other vod stuff. Is this possible and how so?

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA

Read the FAQ:
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »Can I get an ethernet connection in a room with only coax?

The revision of the MI-424WR does not matter.

Geffel34

@spcsdns.net

Thanks More Fiber!

dan502

join:2004-02-16
Laurel, MD
reply to Celestil

If you have TV Service with your FiOS then you need the MoCa connection as that allows for Video On Demand and your guide to be downloaded.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA

said by dan502:

If you have TV Service with your FiOS then you need the MOCA connection as that allows for Video On Demand and your guide to be downloaded.
Specifically, you need the MOCA LAN connection. The router's WAN connection can be MOCA or ethernet. It does not matter. FIOS-TV works with either type of WAN connection.

In this specifc post on page 2 of this thread, you will note the instructions are in two parts. The second part states
quote:
To Enable VOD, widgets, etc ...

which creates the MOCA LAN bridge from the user router to the STBs.

RolteC
0h

join:2001-05-20
Fresh Meadows, NY
kudos:1

I have a slight off topic question.

Does anyone know how good the wireless range is of this release compared to revision D?

And most importantly, does anyone know how much speed down and up you can pull from the wireless on this new Rev?

I ask because my Rev D can only do around 21-26Mbit/sec each way MAX.

Thank you!

Hexium

@comcast.net

I have read trough this entire thread and didn't see anything about public static IPs. I have a client who in California who is setup with a public static IP on the Actiontec (gen2 rev.e). We want to connect a Sonicwall TZ-170 to it and give it the public static IP address so that we can setup a VPN tunnel to their main office. Is this possible?

BTW, he does have the FiOS TV setup at his location as well, this is why I was think of using the double bridge option.

Thanks!

KewlRobD2

join:2007-01-30
Hawthorne, NY

Did you try setting that static IP address on the Sonicwall instead of putting it in DHCP mode?

KewlRobD2

Hawthorne, NY
reply to Celestil

I had gone back to a the Double NAT cause I really wanted the Remote DVR functionality but the NAT issues got to be to be to much for me. So I put the Double Bridge configuration back on and decided I would also like to use the Actiontec's WiFi radio as an access point to my network. I hadn't seen anyone mention trying to do this so I thought I would post that it is possible and very easy to do. You simply add the Wireless Access Point to the bridge you created. Make sure you disable the IP distribution, DNS and IP address just like the other connections. I know have the actiontec running my G clients and my DGL-4500 in N only mode.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA
reply to Hexium

said by Hexium :

We want to connect a Sonicwall TZ-170 to it and give it the public static IP address so that we can setup a VPN tunnel to their main office.
As KewlRobD2 See Profile suggested, you should configure the TZ-170 with your public static IP address(es). The WAN bridge will simply forward all packets to the WAN port of your router.

The MOCA LAN bridge will still connect from the LAN side of your router to the ethernet WAN port of the Actiontec. You can configure the LAN bridge either to get a DHCP from your router (per instructions) or you can assign it one of your static IP addresses. This would be done within the TZ-170, so can't help with how to do that.

Hexium

@comcast.net

I haven't tried it yet. I'm hoping to today. My concern is the TV/VOD functions. I'm pretty sure just setting the static IP information will work but do I need to have specific ports open for the VOD?

KewlRobD2

Hawthorne, NY

Nope, following the instruction on post 1 is everything you need to get the bridge working with the Guide and VOD.

Hexium

@algx.net

Thanks guys!

One more question. The Sonicwall's ports are only 100MB. Do you forsee any issues with this?

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA

said by Hexium :

The Sonicwall's ports are only 100MB. Do you forsee any issues with this?
That's faster that your WAN connection. No problem.

The only issue would be if you are using the switch ports on the sonicwall to connect together Gig-E devices on your LAN. You would be limited to 100Mbps between the gig-E devices. If you do have gig-E devices on your network, put a Gig-E switch behind the sonicwall for interconnecting the gig-E devices at full speed.

ytek

join:2009-12-24
reply to Celestil

Just a note from my setup --

I just finished setting this up with a sonciwall tz180 and fios with static IP. I noticed during the configuration that my broadband ethernet kept getting disabled when I clearly enabled it. Here's what I found, the pppoe2 was trying to establish a connection for some reason -- which I later disabled. It seems like this was conflicting with the broadband ethernet (which was set up to bridge my LAN to the sonicwall). Once I had it disabled and configured with the settings recommended on this thread all the Set top boxes obtained IPs, guide info populated and VOD was working. Thanks for the original post!

Also, I don't think the Spanning tree protocol needs to be active on the coax broadband as STP is a L2 protocol to prevent loops and the coax should be operating on L3.

AndyD2k

join:2003-01-10
New York, NY
reply to Celestil

What are the actual benefits to this? I personally liked using Tomato on my previous router and wouldn't mind going back to it but not sure if there are other benefits

I would just go forward and try for myself but I also don't want to give up a LAN wired connection to go back to the Actionteq as I have 4 devices connected to the Actionteq now