how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Hexium

@comcast.net
reply to RolteC

Re: MI424WR-GEN2 Rev E Configuration Thread

I have read trough this entire thread and didn't see anything about public static IPs. I have a client who in California who is setup with a public static IP on the Actiontec (gen2 rev.e). We want to connect a Sonicwall TZ-170 to it and give it the public static IP address so that we can setup a VPN tunnel to their main office. Is this possible?

BTW, he does have the FiOS TV setup at his location as well, this is why I was think of using the double bridge option.

Thanks!

KewlRobD2

join:2007-01-30
Hawthorne, NY

Did you try setting that static IP address on the Sonicwall instead of putting it in DHCP mode?

KewlRobD2

Hawthorne, NY
reply to Celestil

I had gone back to a the Double NAT cause I really wanted the Remote DVR functionality but the NAT issues got to be to be to much for me. So I put the Double Bridge configuration back on and decided I would also like to use the Actiontec's WiFi radio as an access point to my network. I hadn't seen anyone mention trying to do this so I thought I would post that it is possible and very easy to do. You simply add the Wireless Access Point to the bridge you created. Make sure you disable the IP distribution, DNS and IP address just like the other connections. I know have the actiontec running my G clients and my DGL-4500 in N only mode.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:30
reply to Hexium

said by Hexium :

We want to connect a Sonicwall TZ-170 to it and give it the public static IP address so that we can setup a VPN tunnel to their main office.
As KewlRobD2 See Profile suggested, you should configure the TZ-170 with your public static IP address(es). The WAN bridge will simply forward all packets to the WAN port of your router.

The MOCA LAN bridge will still connect from the LAN side of your router to the ethernet WAN port of the Actiontec. You can configure the LAN bridge either to get a DHCP from your router (per instructions) or you can assign it one of your static IP addresses. This would be done within the TZ-170, so can't help with how to do that.

Hexium

@comcast.net

I haven't tried it yet. I'm hoping to today. My concern is the TV/VOD functions. I'm pretty sure just setting the static IP information will work but do I need to have specific ports open for the VOD?

KewlRobD2

Hawthorne, NY

Nope, following the instruction on post 1 is everything you need to get the bridge working with the Guide and VOD.

Hexium

@algx.net

Thanks guys!

One more question. The Sonicwall's ports are only 100MB. Do you forsee any issues with this?

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA

said by Hexium :

The Sonicwall's ports are only 100MB. Do you forsee any issues with this?
That's faster that your WAN connection. No problem.

The only issue would be if you are using the switch ports on the sonicwall to connect together Gig-E devices on your LAN. You would be limited to 100Mbps between the gig-E devices. If you do have gig-E devices on your network, put a Gig-E switch behind the sonicwall for interconnecting the gig-E devices at full speed.

ytek

join:2009-12-24
reply to Celestil

Just a note from my setup --

I just finished setting this up with a sonciwall tz180 and fios with static IP. I noticed during the configuration that my broadband ethernet kept getting disabled when I clearly enabled it. Here's what I found, the pppoe2 was trying to establish a connection for some reason -- which I later disabled. It seems like this was conflicting with the broadband ethernet (which was set up to bridge my LAN to the sonicwall). Once I had it disabled and configured with the settings recommended on this thread all the Set top boxes obtained IPs, guide info populated and VOD was working. Thanks for the original post!

Also, I don't think the Spanning tree protocol needs to be active on the coax broadband as STP is a L2 protocol to prevent loops and the coax should be operating on L3.

AndyD2k

join:2003-01-10
New York, NY
reply to Celestil

What are the actual benefits to this? I personally liked using Tomato on my previous router and wouldn't mind going back to it but not sure if there are other benefits

I would just go forward and try for myself but I also don't want to give up a LAN wired connection to go back to the Actionteq as I have 4 devices connected to the Actionteq now

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA

You can find the benefits and downsides of this configuration (option 5) and others in the following FAQ:
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations

BTW, you can get a gig-E switch for $20, if you're short of ports.

AndyD2k

join:2003-01-10
New York, NY
reply to Celestil

I read through that but the same FAQ mentions the NAT Table issue is for Rev A-D. Why bother doing this set up then with E?

And wouldn't want to add a switch and have 3 devices (actionteq, switch and router) for connections

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA

said by AndyD2k:

Why bother doing this set up then with E?
The VZ provided routers work fine for 99% of the 2+ million FIOS users.

However, there are a number of different reasons people want/need to run their own router. I've posted at length about those reasons in other threads. The FAQ exists to offer a variety of connectivity options to those users that have a need to run their own routers.

One of the common reasons people want to run their own router is that the switch ports on the Actiontec are only 100Mbps and they want/need 1Gbps connectivity between their devices.

Just because you can run your own router, does not mean that you have to.

JCBeast75

join:2010-01-26
reply to Celestil

Hi,

Can somebody please just confirm that the configuration from Celestil then amended by MadMint, that is using Coax from the ONT to the Actiontec then Lan 1 of AT to WAN of Lynksys then Lan1 of Lynksis to WAN of AT, works including VOD, widgets and video. I dont see me many success stories.

Assuming this in fact does work can I use Moca to Lan bridges (I.E: Nim, Netgear MCAB1001) around the house without much hassle?

verizon

@verizon.net
reply to Celestil

How I successfully bridged my Actiontec-GEN2 Rev E with VOD, widgets, guide.

Before we start you are gonna need 3 ethernet cables and Desired Router of your choice. also make sure VOD, widgets, guide
work all ready on tv before you proceed.

1. Put ethernet Cord from the Computer into Port 2 of Actiontec Router.

2. Reset router to default setting. press reset button in back of router for 10 seconds. then wait for router to reboot.

3. Login into Router make new user Name and Password.

4. Top Menu go to: Advanced - System Setting – Disable Auto Wan Detection - Apply

5. Top Menu go to: Wireless Settings – Side Menu – Basic Security Settings – Wireless - Off – Apply

6. Top Menu – Firewall Settings – Side Menu – General – Minimum – Apply

7. Top Menu – My Network – Side Menu – Network Connections – Advanced - Broadband(Coax) - Settings - Release – Apply

A. If address is not released properly you might have to call Verizon ask to " renew DHCP Address".

8. Top Menu – My Network – Side Menu – Network Connections - Broadband(Coax) - Settings - IP Distribution – Disable /
DNS Server – No DNS Server / IP Address – No IP Address - Apply

9. Top Menu – My Network – Side Menu – Network Connections – Network (Home/Office) - Settings – IP Distribution - Disable /
DNS Server – No DNS Server / Internet Protocol – Use the following IP Address / Uncheck Box to Left of Coax / Uncheck Box to Left of Wireless /
Check Box to Left of Broadband(Coax) / Check STP Box to Right of Broadband(Coax) / Network – Broadband Connection -Apply

B. Use 192.168.1.1 for best results. if you choose to not use this make sure it doesn't conflict with you Desired Router LAN IP's.
Example: change the 3rd digits of the ip address 192.168.X.1 to prevent conflict.

10. After all is done turn the power off to Actiontec Router and Desired Router.

11. Unplug ethernet from Actiontec Router Port 2 and put it into Desired router Port 2. get another
ethernet cable and plug one end into Actiontec POrt 1 and the other end into Desirted Router's WAN Port.

12. Turn power on both Router

13. Login to Desired Router. Check for Dynamically IP.

C. If Dynamically ip was not found but a Static ip or nothing was put into ip address restart from begining.
Also Another thing is if you have a DHCP IP but the Internet Connection not working try using Desired Router Software now before going further.

14. Take computer Ethernet Cable and unplug it from Desired Router port 2 and plug it into Actiontec Router Port 2 agian

15. Okay now to log back into Actiontec Router. you must manually change computer ip address to 192.168.1.2 / sub Mask 255.255.255.0
defualt gateway 192.168.1.1 by going into Computer Menu - Start - control panel - network and internet connections - network connections
- local area connection properties - properties - internet protocols(TCP/IP) - properties - use the following ip address

D. These IPs above will only work if used 192.168.1.1 on Network (Home/Office) earlier. if you used something else in Network (Home/Office)
ip just change ip last digits from 2 - 254. Example: 192.168.1.X

16.Top Menu – My Network – Side Menu – Network Connections - Coax - Settings – DNS Server – No DNS Server / IP Address – No IP Address / Network – Broadband Connection - Apply

17. Top Menu – My Network – Side Menu – Network Connections – Broadband(Ethernet) - Settings – Network – Network(Home/Office) /
IP Distribution – Disable / DNS Server – No DNS Server / IP Address – No IP Address - Apply

16. Top Menu – My Network – Side Menu – Network Connections – Add – Network Bridging – Next – Add A New Bridge – Next –
Select the Coax and Broadband (Ethernet) Checkboxes - uncheck wireless - Edit the New Connection – Finish

18. Top Menu – My Network – Side Menu – Network Connections - Bridge – Settings - Network – Broadband Connection / Internet Protocol – Obtain IP address automatically
/ DNS server – Obtain DNS automatically / IP Address Distribution – DHCP relay / Routing mode – NAPT / default route - checkbox /
/ Check Box to Left of Coax (if not already checked) Check STP box to right of Coax / Check Box to Left of Broadband(Ethernet) (if not already checked) Check STP box to right of Broadband(Ethernet)
Apply

19. Run Ethernet Cable from Desired Router Port 1 to Actiontec Router's WAN Port

20. Top Menu – My Network – Side Menu – Network Connections – Broadband (Ethernet) – Enable

E. This must be re-enabled if the router loses power

21. Unplug power from all TV Boxes

22. plug Tv boxes back in. now check to see widget and on demand or working

23. Unplug Computer Ethernet cable from Actiontec Port 2 and plug into Desired router Port2

24. Now go to Computer and change manual ip address setting back to automatic. by going into Computer Menu - Start - control panel - network and internet connections - network connections
- local area connection properties - properties - internet protocols(TCP/IP) - properties - obtain an ip automatically

JCBeast75

Hi Verizon,

Your configuration is using Ethernet from the ONT, correct?

Can you upload an image of how the connection will look like in the end. It sounds like a lot of trouble the directions here make it sound a lot more simple than what you described: »Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »Replacing the Actiontec (part 3): WAN-to-LAN keeps Guide and VOD (easier)

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA

1 edit

said by JCBeast75:

Your configuration is using Ethernet from the ONT, correct?
The double bridge configuration is for coax connections from the ONT (see step 7) only, since the ethernet WAN connection is used for the MOCA LAN bridge from the user router.

JCBeast75

Thank you for the diagram. I will be having FIOS installed this coming Monday so i still have time to ask for Cat5 instead of COAX.
This discussion kind of got me thinking if the directions here »Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »Replacing the Actiontec (part 3): WAN-to-LAN keeps Guide and VOD (easier)
might be too over simplistic. I don't need to go into my choice router or ActionTec at all to configure anything (well except the IPs)? Also the directions in the afore mentioned link still hold for AT Rev E Gen2 correct?

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA

said by JCBeast75:

This discussion kind of got me thinking if the directions here (part3) might be too over simplistic. I don't need to go into my choice router or ActionTec at all to configure anything (well except the IPs)?
I'm not sure what you're asking?
If you haven't already done so, you should review the trade-offs FAQ.
said by JCBeast75:

Also the directions in the afore mentioned link still hold for AT Rev E Gen2 correct?
Yes.

hqh51

@verizon.net
reply to Celestil

I'm wondering, has anybody found a solution to a problem that I'm experiencing: After following the configuration as suggested enable the VOD, widgets, etc, it'll work for some time. After some time, the Broadband Connection (Ethernet) under Bridge gets disabled. Renabling the Broadband Connection (Ethernet) wouldn't allow the VOD, widgets, etc., to work once again. So I ended up redoing all the configuration steps again to enable it. Once again, it gets disabled after some definite time. I tried to play with some settings, but have come up empty handed. A previous poster said something about PPPoe was disabling the bridge, but they're not even enabled in the router for FIOS anyways... Any suggestion?

kqmaverick

join:2001-12-18
Hampton, VA

I'm having some trouble getting VOD/Widgets working using this setup. My Set Top Box is being assigned an IP address from my router but is still unable to access Widgets or VOD. I also left the wireless lan on and added it to the networked connection with the Coax. If i connect using that wireless connection i receive an IP but cannot reach the internet.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA

•Is your router pulling a WAN DHCP address from VZ?
•Can a PC attached to your router connect to the internet?

If the answer to those questions is no, then you have a problem with the first part of the instructions and should not proceed to the second part of the instructions until the problem is resolved.

Usually when the user router can not obtain a WAN DHCP lease, the problem is not having properly released the WAN DHCP address from the Actiontec (or the Actiontec reacquired the DHCP lease). If you're having trouble releasing the DHCP lease, see this FAQ:
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »How do I release my DHCP lease
Another thing to try if the Actiontec is reacquiring the DHCP lease is going to ADVANCED; System Settings and unchecking AUTO WAN DETECTION.

Keep in mind that the names of the bridges are misleading.
Network (H/O) is really your MOCA WAN to ethernet WAN bridge.
Broadband Connection (bridge) is really your ethernet LAN to MOCA LAN bridge.

If the answer to the two questions at the top is yes, then the first bridge is probably okay and the problem is with the second bridge. If your wireless is under the second bridge, it should be pulling a DHCP address from your router (not the Actiontec).
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

kqmaverick

join:2001-12-18
Hampton, VA

1 edit

said by More Fiber:

•Is your router pulling a WAN DHCP address from VZ?
•Can a PC attached to your router connect to the internet?

If the answer to those questions is no, then you have a problem with the first part of the instructions and should not proceed to the second part of the instructions until the problem is resolved.

Usually when the user router can not obtain a WAN DHCP lease, the problem is not having properly released the WAN DHCP address from the Actiontec (or the Actiontec reacquired the DHCP lease). If you're having trouble releasing the DHCP lease, see this FAQ:
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »How do I release my DHCP lease
Another thing to try if the Actiontec is reacquiring the DHCP lease is going to ADVANCED; System Settings and unchecking AUTO WAN DETECTION.

Keep in mind that the names of the bridges are misleading.
Network (H/O) is really your MOCA WAN to ethernet WAN bridge.
Broadband Connection (bridge) is really your ethernet LAN to MOCA LAN bridge.

If the answer to the two questions at the top is yes, then the first bridge is probably okay and the problem is with the second bridge. If your wireless is under the second bridge, it should be pulling a DHCP address from your router (not the Actiontec).
My router is pulling an IP from verizon and i have internet access with it. For some reason my DVR and the Actiontec Wireless do not have internet access. They have IP Address which were assigned by my own router but no outside network access.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA

said by kqmaverick:

My router is pulling an IP from verizon and i have internet access with it. For some reason my DVR and the Actiontec Wireless do not have internet access. They have IP Address which were assigned by my own router but no outside network access.
Okay. That indicates that both bridges are working since your router is getting a VZ IP address and the STBs and wireless are getting DHCP addresses from your router.

It's a little puzzling since you say a PC can get to the internet from your router. The STBs and wireless should l0ook like they're attached to the LAN side of your router.

My first reaction is that the firewall in your router is blocking access, but I would think if that were the case, it would be blocking access local LAN access too.

One other thing to check is step 14 in part 1.
quote:
14. Network(Home/Office) - Settings – IP Address – Set to 192.168.x.1 where x is not used on your LAN – Apply

--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

The Monkey
I like bananas
Premium
join:2000-10-08
New York, NY
reply to Celestil

hmm...

My setup was working successfully for a couple of weeks w/ VOD and widgets, etc. Then yesterday--hosed. No VOD.

My setup is this:

Ethernet from ONT.
Apple Extreme Base Station connected to the ONT via ethernet.
Actiontec WAN port connected to AEBS LAN port (but AT also has coax plugged in).

AEBS is pulling what appears to be a correct IP from Verizon.
Actiontec is pulling an IP from the AEBS. (10.0.1.x)
Actiontec is assigning 192.168.1.x to the STB
I can connect to the internet through the Actiontec when connecting my laptop to it via ethernet.
Everything seems to be working fine...except VOD.

I have rebooted everything and tried the usual steps. One thing I have not done is have the AEBS release and renew the Verizon IP. Would that help?

Any other suggestions are appreciated. Thanks, as always!
--
The Monkey

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA

1 recommendation

said by The Monkey:

I have rebooted everything and tried the usual steps. One thing I have not done is have the AEBS release and renew the Verizon IP. Would that help?
You said you rebooted everything. The order you reboot can make a difference. Since both the AEBS and Actiontec appear to be working properly, I would try rebooting the STB(disconnect the AC power cord). If the Actiontec is using default settings, the STB should pull a DHCP address starting at 192.168.1.100.

A this point, since each router appears to be working, I don;t see a point in releasing the WAN DHCP address.

If rebooting the STB doesn't get VOD back. Unplug the STB, then do a hard reset on the Actiontec. When the Actiontec has stabilized and you can confirm internet connectivity from your PC through the Actiontec, then power up the STB.
--

The Monkey
I like bananas
Premium
New York, NY

Many thanks. I'll try that and report back.
--
The Monkey

The Monkey
I like bananas
Premium
New York, NY
reply to More Fiber

said by More Fiber:

said by The Monkey:

You said you rebooted everything. The order you reboot can make a difference. Since both the AEBS and Actiontec appear to be working properly, I would try rebooting the STB(disconnect the AC power cord). If the Actiontec is using default settings, the STB should pull a DHCP address starting at 192.168.1.100.

A this point, since each router appears to be working, I don;t see a point in releasing the WAN DHCP address.

If rebooting the STB doesn't get VOD back. Unplug the STB, then do a hard reset on the Actiontec. When the Actiontec has stabilized and you can confirm internet connectivity from your PC through the Actiontec, then power up the STB.
Joy! It was the order PLUS the recommended hard reset. Still a little twitchy, but I assume that the STB needs to pull some data before it is seamless. Regardless, Diego on Demand again means we have a happy household. Thanks for your help More Fiber See Profile.
--
The Monkey

BigJoe

@verizon.net
reply to Celestil

I just wanted to say thanks.

I have a MI424WR-Gen2 rev E connected to my ONT over COAX. Getting an ethernet cable up would have been too much of a hassle. I decided to bridge to my WRT54G running tomato mainly so I could connect my printer using a 2nd wrt54g as a wireless client and not have to run any additional cables. I have Tivo and only one television, so I didn't need to worry about STBs and the additional headaches.

In any case, I followed steps 1-19. I tried some other instructions I found and my guess is that what really helped was turning off WAN Auto detection and UNchecking the other network connections. I had planned on following the steps and leaving everything overnight, hoping it would be set up correctly and my issue was lease timeout, but my WRT54g picked up an IP address immediately

ahubbard

join:2001-06-22
Olney, MD
reply to Celestil

Hello,

First I want to say thanks, this setup has been working great for me for about 6 months. However I just added a 2nd STB. My VOD and guide work, but DVR says "multi-room DVR encountered a problem...". My primary STB still does DVR just fine, but I can't pause, ff, etc on my 2nd STB. I read this thread twice and I don't catch where I'm missing a step? Could you please advise?

Thanks!