spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Jimmerz
@comcast.net

Jimmerz

Anon

Port Forwarding with Grandstream HT502

I recently subscribed to Phone Power. I currently have the Grandstream adapter in front of my Linksys router (Tomato firmware). Since I did this, I'm unable to get port forwarding to work. I accessed the Grandstream basic settings with the 123 password, and added an entry with the port number I wanted to forward, and put my Linksys router IP (192.168.1.1) in for the LAN IP. Then I have the forwarding set up on the Linksys to go to the correct local destination IP. Is that not the correct procedure?

I realize I could just put the Grandstream downstream, but I wanted to try this first. I also have Vonage (a business line) and that is downstream after the router and have QoS setup for that. Can anyone speak to the quality/reliability of the Grandstream being in front of the router vs behind with QoS (via Tomato)?

PhonePwrTech
join:2007-07-20

PhonePwrTech

By default, the Grandstream has a DHCP scope starting with 192.168.2.100. It seems like based on your post here that you are configuring the port forwarding rule in the Grandstream to the LAN access IP of your Linksys, not the IP that is being assigned to the WAN side of your Linksys. Make sure your Linksys is setup to obtain an IP automatically (via DHCP) and setup the port forwarding rules in the Grandstream to point at 192.168.2.100 , this should resolve your port forwarding problems. If you continue to have issues, please contact support and we can further assist you in this matter.

Jimmerz
@comcast.net

Jimmerz

Anon

Worked like charm...thank you! I've been very pleased with Phone Power's support thus far.

Any opinions on putting the Grandstream in front of the router vs behind (with good QoS going)?
44402812 (banned)
Hack The Planet
join:2006-08-28
Plattsburgh, NY

44402812 (banned) to Jimmerz

to Jimmerz
said by Jimmerz :

I recently subscribed to Phone Power. I currently have the Grandstream adapter in front of my Linksys router (Tomato firmware). Since I did this, I'm unable to get port forwarding to work. I accessed the Grandstream basic settings with the 123 password, and added an entry with the port number I wanted to forward, and put my Linksys router IP (192.168.1.1) in for the LAN IP. Then I have the forwarding set up on the Linksys to go to the correct local destination IP. Is that not the correct procedure?

I realize I could just put the Grandstream downstream, but I wanted to try this first. I also have Vonage (a business line) and that is downstream after the router and have QoS setup for that. Can anyone speak to the quality/reliability of the Grandstream being in front of the router vs behind with QoS (via Tomato)?
I do, I prefer it because it would make troubleshooting easier if I had a problem. Plus having it before the router eliminates one less POF. The HT-502 although it looks like a cheap piece of plastic is really solid! I hit with about 30-40 gigs of traffic every month and only needed to reboot once. That could have been to PhonePower releasing a update, bad power, just puttering out?

Regardless I'm happy and according the HT-502 it has been up for 15 days. I don't know how the HT-502 gets that number? If it is based on continual time to the PhonePower server or the connection to the internet? Maybe someone could enlighten me?

QOS works relatively well if just browsing the internet, downloading pics, 1-5 meg files, don't expect to bury your connection with bit torrent though.