Powell, WY
MikroTik CCR1036-8G-2S+
MikroTik hAP AC

1 edit

koolkid1563 to Lazlow

MVM

to Lazlow

Re: my god

I guess by that logic then even my FTTH service up here uses the 'internet' for TV (even though the TV never actually gets handed off to the actual internet) since they both ride the same GigE link from the ONT to my switch. While 1Gb/s is quite a lot, the TV still uses a chunk of it as does the internet and are therefore still sharing that bandwidth.
Lazlow
join:2006-08-07
Saint Louis, MO

Lazlow

Fiberguy

NO, Comcast does not need to run QOS on HSI to keep bandwidth available for their phone offering. Their phone service runs on a separate dedicated channel. No matter how much load their is on a HSI channel it has zero (0) effect on their phone system. This is what makes att's system different. On att's system(Uverse) if you have 18Mbps service and HD channels your HSI slows down when you watch HD channels, on Comcasts system no matter how much TV/phone you watch/listen it has no effect on your HSI speed.
Lazlow

Lazlow to koolkid1563

to koolkid1563
koolkid1563

No, again because on FIOS TV the signal goes on a different frequency (light)(again a dedicated channel) over the fiber. No, matter how much TV you watch it does not slow down your HSI. Even if it was, a HD stream is 19Mbps, so 1000Mbps -19Mbps = 981Mbps. Which is far faster than any US home service, again it is not slowing down your HSI.

koolkid1563
MVM
join:2005-11-06
Powell, WY
MikroTik CCR1036-8G-2S+
MikroTik hAP AC

4 edits

koolkid1563

MVM

I don't have FiOS here, it is TCT through the Powellink muni FTTH network. From the ONT to my main switch there is one Cat5e cable running at 1Gb/s which carries both TV and data/inet. From the switch it goes to the two STBs which feed three TVs each and from the switch it also goes to my router's WAN port.

So let me get this straight, even if the bandwidth is shared between the services on a setup such as mine, as long as the sharing doesn't conflict with each other they are OK?
Lazlow
join:2006-08-07
Saint Louis, MO

Lazlow

As long as one does not slow/prevent the other from working, it does not matter. If a change has no effect, is it really a change?