Search similar:

uniqs

abhin
@allstream.net

abhin

Anon

Netgear router + Linksys PAP2 issue

Hi,
I have a Netgear WGR614v7 wireless router and Linksys PAP2 in my network. I use the wireless to connect my laptop to the network and PAP2 is ofcourse wired to the router. I have observed that when PAP2 is connected after almost 24hrs my wireless router WPA2-PSK password goes bad and my laptop can no more connect to the network. I have tired and tested this router without PAP2 connected and it works perfectly. Only when the PAP2 is connected it starts giving this issue. To fix this password problem I have to either apply router settings again (by physical connection to router) or I have to power cycle the router(powercycle restores back the old wireless WPA2-PSK password). I m since wondering what does the PAP2 does to the Netgear router to behave like this!! Also a point to mention is that the LAN port on which PAP2 is connected remains yellow and doesnt turn into green but if I connect my laptop on same port the led turns green immediately. Please give some feedback. Thank.

toro
join:2006-01-27
Scarborough, ON

toro

My first suggestion would be to try another router, like a Linksys WRT54GL flashed with either DD-WRT or Tomato.
However, if you don't mind spending some time troubleshooting your NetGear, try loading different firmware versions. Sometimes router manufacturers make major changes from one firmware version to another, either breaking or fixing issues.
As for the yellow LED, the router is simply telling you that the PAP2 is connected at 10Base-T speed, while your laptop connects at 100Base-TX. Nothing wrong with that, since the original PAP2 does not support (and doesn't require) a 100Mbit connection.

abhin
@rogers.com

abhin

Anon

I tried with the latest firmware from netgear for WGR614v7 firmware version 30 for NA. However the same issue persists. I m wondering how come a restart or just applying the settings of the router again fixes the issue. What actually does the PAP2 do to the router and how does the issue gets fixed upon re-applying the settings!! Anyone else has any ideas to hack this issue? Are there any tools available to diagnose this problem? Thanks for all responses.

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k to abhin

Premium Member

to abhin
Not much help, sorry, but the color of the LED (yellow v. green) is because the PAP2 is a half-duplex device and your PC (and the Netgear, and most other stuff these days) is full duplex.

As for your issue, I can't imagine any way that the PAP2 could be interacting with your router's setup. Are you also running P2P applications? BitTorrent? Any of those can fill up the routing tables and really gack your router.