Smokey Bear
veritas odium parit
Premium Member
join:2008-03-15
Annie's Pub

1 recommendation

Smokey Bear

Premium Member

Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor Beta (Overview & Download)

Overview

Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor scans your PC's system, programs and devices to check if it's able to run Windows 7. After a few minutes, the report will let you know if your PC meets the system requirements, if there are any known compatibility issues with your programs and devices, and will also provide guidance on your upgrade options to Windows 7.

System Requirements

- Supported Operating Systems: Windows 7; Windows Vista; Windows XP Service Pack 2
- .NET 2.0 Framework or higher if running on Windows XP

Beta Release Notes

- The upgrade paths are currently not given for N, K, and KN editions of Windows.
- Any language packs you have installed on your PC will have to be reinstalled after upgrading to Windows 7.
- If you're running Upgrade Advisor inside Virtual PC or Remote Desktop, Windows Aero capability may not be detected properly.

»www.microsoft.com/downlo ··· c146af15
Smokey Bear

1 recommendation

Smokey Bear

Premium Member

Additional info by Brandon LeBlanc, Windows Client Communications Team:

Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor examines a PC’s processor, memory, storage, and graphics capabilities, identifies known compatibility issues with installed software and devices and finally provides guidance on how to resolve those issues if possible. Please also note: as previously stated, Windows XP users are required to do a clean install of the Windows 7 RC as well as the final product. Only PCs with Windows Vista can be upgraded to Windows 7.

and:

The Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor measures a PC’s ability to upgrade to Windows 7 based on the following final system requirements for Windows 7:

- 1 GHz or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
- 1GB RAM (32-bit) / 2GB RAM (64-bit)
- 16GB available disk space (32-bit) / 20GB (64-bit)
- DirectX® 9 graphics processor with WDDM (Windows Display Driver Model) 1.0 or higher driver

»windowsteamblog.com/blog ··· sor.aspx

Link Logger
MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB

Link Logger to Smokey Bear

MVM

to Smokey Bear
Click for full size
It says my old (at least 6 years old) HP Pavilion zd7380 is good to go for Windows 7 upgrade, excellent. I have some other outrageously old beasts here that I should test this with for fun.

Blake

Smokey Bear
veritas odium parit
Premium Member
Annie's Pub

Smokey Bear

Premium Member

said by Link Logger:

It says my old (at least 6 years old) HP Pavilion zd7380 is good to go for Windows 7 upgrade, excellent.
Indeed excellent, OTOH looking at the specs of your HP it isn't surprisingly.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA

jaykaykay to Smokey Bear

MVM

to Smokey Bear
I am good to go too. Thanks. Whether I will or not is a different story.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to Smokey Bear

Premium Member

to Smokey Bear
LOL It wouldn't install. I had forgotten that I got rid of all .NET Framework except 1.1 that came on this computer. I don't want to install .NET 2 which it offered to do. I know this computer meets requirements for Windows 7...I was just curious. Evidently, I haven't run across anything else that requires .NET 2.0 or above since I got rid of 3.5, 3.0 and 2.0 some time ago since I haven't had anything complain that I don't have a version past 1.1.

Greg_Z
Premium Member
join:2001-08-08
Springfield, IL

Greg_Z to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger
Anything that is running Vista, or came with XP, will run W7.

MarkAW
Barry White
Premium Member
join:2001-08-27
Canada

2 edits

MarkAW to Smokey Bear

Premium Member

to Smokey Bear
Click for full size
Since my XP Pro SP3 system can run Vista it more than likely can run Windows 7.

Grail Knight

Premium Member
join:2003-05-31
Valhalla

Grail Knight to Smokey Bear

Premium Member

to Smokey Bear
Good to go. Thanks.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704 to Smokey Bear

Premium Member

to Smokey Bear
I have two pretty good PC's running Windows XPSP3 and just as I saw no reason to go to Vista, I see none to go to Win7.

How will it benefit me?

My machines already do everything I need them to do in terms of internet, accounting, word processing, gaming, email.

And wherever possible I avoid Microsoft programs.

As far as security:

a) I use a wide variety of paid and free software to protect and harden my machines. I have much more faith in my own security measures than I do in Microsoft.

b) Half of the Microsoft security updates deal with Internet Explorer which I never use anyway.

------------------------------------

I deeply resent that Microsoft won't let me use the Win7 evaluation tool without installing Net 2.0 Framework. I'd rather have root canal than put that bloated crap on my boxes.

But as I said, I'd never go with Win7 anyway.

Heck, I still have a machine that runs well, and runs safely, on Win98.
ajwees41
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

2 edits

ajwees41 to Smokey Bear

Premium Member

to Smokey Bear
I am running vista with aero and the windows 7 upgrade advisor says aero does not work

PeeWee
Premium Member
join:2001-10-21
Madera, CA

PeeWee to Smokey Bear

Premium Member

to Smokey Bear
I have Win XP Pro 64 w/sp2. The advisor says I do not and cannot run.

Smokey Bear
veritas odium parit
Premium Member
Annie's Pub

Smokey Bear

Premium Member

said by PeeWee:

I have Win XP Pro 64 w/sp2. The advisor says I do not and cannot run.
Your software specs are OK, so I assume your hardware don't accomplish Windows 7 demands?

PeeWee
Premium Member
Madera, CA

PeeWee

Premium Member

Maybe, but that is not the notice I get. The software does not load because it does not properly acknowledge the OS. I have a very similar machine running Vista. I'll check it later to see if it does the same. This thing worked as it should on my Vista laptop.

zoom314
join:2005-11-21
Yermo, CA

zoom314

said by PeeWee:

Maybe, but that is not the notice I get. The software does not load because it does not properly acknowledge the OS. I have a very similar machine running Vista. I'll check it later to see if it does the same. This thing worked as it should on my Vista laptop.
It doesn't like XP x64 and so the install aborts, So much for the file having an msi extension and I have .NET 3.0 installed.

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna to Smokey Bear

Premium Member

to Smokey Bear
I ran this tool a while ago, I'm good to go with Windows 7.

Gone Fishing
Premium Member
join:2001-06-29

2 edits

1 recommendation

Gone Fishing to Smokey Bear

Premium Member

to Smokey Bear

Additional Info @ BBR -Is Your Computer's Hardware & Software Ready for Windows 7?
GallowGlas
join:2005-06-08
Spring Lake, NC

GallowGlas to PeeWee

to PeeWee
You can still run this for Windows XP 64.

Download the MSI.

Download a program by microsoft called Orca.

Open the file with orca.

On the left you'll see something called "launch condition"

Right click that and tell it to "drop table". Click the save button at the top.

Double click program and you're good to go. It'll take a min or two to run but will tell you which hardware is supported by windows 7 and which is not.

PeeWee
Premium Member
Madera, CA

PeeWee

Premium Member

I loaded Win 7 in dual boot configuration and all runs well.