spc
Search similar:

uniqs
StillAtIt
join:2008-09-30

1 recommendation

StillAtIt

[Credit Card Fraud] AMEX American Express Charges from SMS Outle

It looks like another bogus AMEX credit card billling scam (quick burn, small amounts, etc.) There is an apparently legitimate business with the same name out of Tempe, AZ. They say they've been getting a large number of calls from American Express customers who don't recognize charges.

So it looks to me like these charges are yet another another scam business.

This "company" appears to be run out of a single family home. The amount charged to my card was under $33.

Web site is sms-outlet.com

phone number 1-800-380-9809
which no one answers, of course
If anyone can figure out the company name that they mention during the recording, please post it. (something like ALL-LC?? which like so many others purports to be a web billing service. Very similar to the Sacramento 24-hour corp scam.)

Whois shows this site is owned by:
David Dearkland
658 MCCord ave
Bakersfield, California 93308
United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (»www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: SMS-OUTLET.COM
Created on: 05-Mar-09
Expires on: 05-Mar-10
Last Updated on: 05-Mar-09

Administrative Contact:
Dearkland, David monaviy@hotmail.com
658 MCCord ave
United States
8003809809 Fax -- 8003809809

Technical Contact:
Dearkland, David monaviy@hotmail.com
658 MCCord ave
United States
8003809809 Fax -- 8003809809

Domain servers in listed order:
NS17.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
NS18.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
music man
Premium Member
join:2008-08-12

music man

Premium Member

Re: [Credit Card Fraud] AMEX American Express Charges from SMS O

Might the name be "Amiel LLC"? I ask because Amiel LLC's website »www.amielsolutions.com appears to share much of the text with sms-outlet.
MGD
MVM
join:2002-07-31

1 edit

1 recommendation

MGD to StillAtIt

MVM

to StillAtIt
said by StillAtIt:

....(something like ALL-LC?? which like so many others purports to be a web billing service. Very similar to the Sacramento 24-hour corp scam.)

Indeed, it has the aroma of the long running exclusive Amex cards laundering sites. I am looking other victim reports to see if it is exclusively American Express.

The webiste template is a clone of: »www.google.com/search?hl ··· signs%22

Missing this time around are the obvious connections to the Russian expatriate community in the Sacramento county and surrounding area. However there are some non native English indications such as the "reviews":

"this has to be one of the funniest movies of my youth.I think that its better film of century."

There is no advertising of any kind promoting the website:

»www.sms-outlet.com
Snapped 2009-05-11 16:01:58

Also, that contact email address, which would belong to the actual individual who completed the domain reg: monaviy@hotmail.com appears to have references to former Soviet Block languages.

That format is typical of the Amex fraud laundering. There does not appear to be any published phone number for the apparent cyber-mule:

LP/LLC
SMS OUTLET LLC.
Number: 200826710169
Date Filed: 9/22/2008
Jurisdiction: CALIFORNIA
Address
658 MCCORD AVE
BAKERSFIELD, CA 93308
Agent for Service of Process
DAVID DEARKLAND
658 MCCORD AVE
BAKERSFIELD, CA 93308

Which matches to:

That 800-380-9809 appears to be a fake set up that will only accept voice mail. To me it appears that there is a blank in front of the spech preceeding "LLC", as if to insert a name, which was not done. Shabby set up that would be used for several instances. It is bogus as it references that they do billing for over 500 websites, yet there is no search returns on the number. I have not checked, but I am willing to bet that the number is a cheap Ring Central Voip toll free number. All options lead to voice mail.

Anxious to find other victims of the fraud charges. Did you line item charge appear as something like this:

Price .. SMS-OUTLET.COM CA 800-380-9809 ??

According to Domain Tools, there are 4 domains where that same name was used as a registrant, though it may not be the same individual.

However the two starting with the letter "B" were registered around the same time as the LLC. If this is what I suspect it is, then I presume there were prior sites as the LLC is from 09/2008 and SMS-OUTLET.COM is very recent.

MGD

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

I love the fixed text on the main page made to look like a visit counter. LOL

"394034 requests since Saturday 05 July, 2008"
MGD
MVM

1 recommendation

MGD to music man

MVM

to music man
Here is a reduced quality copy of the audio to limit file size.

800-380-9809···LET1.wav
576162 bytes

I believe they cloned it from someone else and edited out the the word which preceeded "LLC" which belonged to whoever. All options lead to VM, no one there.

This is a ruse to appease fraud charge victims, they want those that call to presume it is legit. They will issue a credit to those who complain and hop[e they avoid reporting it to Amex.

MGD
MGD

1 recommendation

MGD to Doctor Olds

MVM

to Doctor Olds
said by Doctor Olds:

LOL,

In fact the source code of the page contains the following references:

Red Pill Blue Pill by Key West Designs
and
>http://www.keywestvacationguide.com/key_west_fishing.php

Red Pill Blue Pill by Key West Designs   

</td>
  </tr>
</table>
<br>

</center><!-- footer_eof //-->
<center>
<span class='credits'>Red Pill Blue Pill by </span><a href='http://www.keywestvacationguide.com/key_west_fishing.php' class='credits'>Key West</a> 
<span class='credits'>Designs</span>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;</center>
</body>
</html>

OSCommerce is used in many of the California AMEX fraud card laundering sites.

MGD
K Patterson
Premium Member
join:2006-03-12
Columbus, OH

K Patterson

Premium Member

The email address, monaviy, looks to be in the Uzbek language, could well be Russian
MGD
MVM

1 recommendation

MGD

MVM

said by K Patterson:

The email address, monaviy, looks to be in the Uzbek language, could well be Russian
The last Amex card fraud laundering scam that showed up on this forum was, as the op mentioned, 24 HOUR CORP / E Sprint LLC that one gained some media attention, including a BBB Alert. They were hitting AMEX branded cards issued by numerous banks, and included many victims from the UK as well as the US. I believe the fraud has operated non stop, it just manages to mostly stay below the radar. The origins of this operation can be traced back to 2002.

Hopefully if there are other victims of this fraud will find the thread and post.

MGD

pcdebb
birdbrain
Premium Member
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
ARRIS DG1670

1 recommendation

pcdebb to Doctor Olds

Premium Member

to Doctor Olds
said by Doctor Olds:

it actually is dynamic for me, i refreshed and it incremented.

the site was created in march, however one of the games was added to the "inventory" in december. that's a hot game!

and in the checkout, why do they care if i'm male or female? It doesn't verify cc numbers at all, totally made up everything (been a long day, trying to lighten the mood), it confirmed my order. so it's sending something to a totally made up order somwhere out there in a city i have no idea where it is

and the single one game i "bought" shows up in the best seller list lol

Snowy
Lock him up!!!
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI

Snowy

Premium Member

said by pcdebb:

why do they care if i'm male or female?
It's about the salutation they might need to use when ripping someones CC.
StillAtIt
join:2008-09-30

StillAtIt to MGD

to MGD
Anxious to find other victims of the fraud charges. Did you line item charge appear as something like this:

Price .. SMS-OUTLET.COM CA 800-380-9809 ??

--------------------------------------------

No, there was no telephone number. I got the telephone number googling the address. The charge was made on May 8th. I caught it when I checked my card on-line.

The charge shows:
SMS OUTLET LLC SMS OBAKERSFIELD
78449 DIRECT MKTG MISC
DIRECT MKTG MISC

When I request additional information it shows:

TRANSACTION DESCRIPTION: SMS OUTLET LLC SMS OBAKERSFIELD
DOING BUSINESS AS: SMS OUTLET LLC
MERCHANT TYPE: INTERNET PURCHASES Transaction Date: 05/08/2009
Charge: $XXXX
Reference #:XXXXX DIRECT MKTG MISC

Merchant Number: 1044708386
Merchant Address: 658 MCCORD AVE
BAKERSFIELD, CA 93308-4716 USA

When I called Amex to ask about this, they wanted to simply credit my account. Apparently, when you set up a merchant account, you can agree to have disputed charges under a certain dollar amount just automatically credited back without any investigation on Amex's part.

So, when you dispute a charge, it just gets credited and the merchant is free to continue the scam. In order to have it treated as fraud I had to cancel my card. (Although it doesn't seem Amex is particularly concerned with this type of scam...) So, the card number that is on this hacked/stolen/purchased/whatever list will no longer work for them and I'll no longer be a good "canary in the coal mine" for spotting this particular fraud.

I do have reason to believe I'm not alone, however. When I called the folks with a similar name in Tempe they say they've had a number of calls from Amex card holders about this and that was before I mentioned my card was American Express.

Finally, I'll add that wherever they get their message recording it is almost exactly the same one I heard at 24-hour Corp before it was hastily cut it off.

Thanks to everyone on this board....you guys are amazing.
music man
Premium Member
join:2008-08-12

1 edit

music man to StillAtIt

Premium Member

to StillAtIt
I just thought I'd go back to »www.amielsolutions.com. Now its showing a "page under construction"!!
[imaging failed]
»www.amielsolutions.com
Snapped 2009-05-12 15:11:40

Very strange!! Now why would that happen???

jenny
@comcast.net

jenny to StillAtIt

Anon

to StillAtIt
They have billed my card twice for $14.39. I was also hit 3 times with bogus charges from 24 Hour corp 3 months in a row. AmEx took off all of the charges.

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

said by jenny :

They have billed my card twice for $14.39. I was also hit 3 times with bogus charges from 24 Hour corp 3 months in a row. AmEx took off all of the charges.
They will continue to hit your AE Card until you get it replaced with a New AE Card that is using a New Account Number.

MMW
@aol.com

MMW to MGD

Anon

to MGD
I have also been a victim of this SMS Outlet charging my AMEX card. It has happened twice now. The first time in mid-March and again this past week. On both occasions, the charges came through on a Sunday...very suspicious. The first time the charge came in, I contacted AMEX and they simply credited the less than $20. amount back to me. I thought it was over. Late last night I just happened to think about it again and checked my account online...Voila! There it was again, the exact same amount! Something I find strange is that I never use this card, and in fact don't even carry it with me. I contacted AMEX again today and insisted that it be investigated as Fraud and informed AMEX that I had discovererd several blogs dedicated to this very scam. Obviously this SMS Outlet is a known scammer to AMEX and why they are allowed to continue as a 'merchant' with them is beyond me. I cancelled my card so they cannot charge me again. Another strange thing is that this is the second AMEX card I have had to cancel due to someone somehow getting the number. I am starting to wonder if somehow this is an 'inside job'.

famousperson
@verizon.net

famousperson to StillAtIt

Anon

to StillAtIt
sml-outlet llc tried to get me, too. The first charge to my amex card for $34.20 on May 4th was reversed, for reasons not stated, on May 14. Then two charges for $34.20 appeared on May 17. Amex reversed the charges and said that they would open a fraud file. They said nothing about issuing a new number.
MGD
MVM

1 recommendation

MGD to jenny

MVM

to jenny
said by jenny :

Jenny, follow Doctor Olds See Profile's advice.

Your post also confirms the OP's suspicion that sms-outlet.com aka SMS OUTLET LLC is part of the Russian based multi year Amex card fraud laundering operation out of California.
said by jenny :

Since we already know that 24 Hour corp was part of the Russian AMEX crime syndicate that connection absolutely confirms that SMS OUTLET LLC is one of the latest of the crime syndicate's Amex card fraud laundering operations. They have compromised your card account data, and are repeatedly charging it across several of their fraud sites.

Unfortunately, in my opinion American Express is way beyond clueless. "Way beyond" because this AMEX charge fraud operation has been going on for over 5 years. One would think that a company who provides merchant services and where criminals within a confined geographic area can repeatedly process fraud charges against their own customer's accounts, would have caught on by know. Instead these criminals are now availing themselves of Amex's streamlined feature called "charge reversal". This merchant service agreement add on is an absolute bonus to fraud accounts. It allows Amex to reverse charges back to the merchant upon receiving a customer complaint. The benefit is that the usual high charge back fees are not assigned to the merchant account. You could not have wrote are more facilitating set up for this criminal operation. they no longer have to arrange contact info and process credits. American Express does that for them.

American Express is well aware of this operation. On multiple occasions over the years they have stated that they had active fraud investigations on numerous of the merchant account names that the Russian criminals were using. Clearly, even a cursory investigation would have yielded evidence that this is a multi year fraud operation. Additionally, by not performing reasonable due diligence when issuing online merchant accounts, American Express is facilitating this organized crime syndicate by providing them easy and repeated access to processing fraud charges against AMEX's own customers accounts, from card data that the crime syndicate has hijacked. See this news ar1ticle on the "24hour" corp: »www.sacbee.com/ourregion ··· 057.html

Over the many years that this Amex fraud has been in operation, one cyber-mule was indicted in May of 2008 for a 2005 card fraud laundering entity. An excerpt from the Devbill fraud thread:
quote:
United States Attorney McGregor W. Scott announced that a federal grand jury returned an indictment today charging ALEXSANDR BERNIK, 29, of the Sacramento area, with wire fraud, money laundering, ...................
from October 2005 through November 2006, Bernik engaged in a scheme to defraud American Express and its customers. He used the fictitious business name Lexbay Limited to open a bank account and establish a merchant relationship with American Express. Between August 2006 and November 2006, he fraudulently charged American Express customers for products or services that the customers did not order. During this time period, a bank account he controlled in the name of Lexbay Limited received approximately $177,000 from American Express. Some of those funds were then withdrawn in transactions designed in part to avoid transaction reporting requirements under state and federal law.

See: »Ebook websites, fraud charges, Devbill/DigitalAge/Pluto

Also:

»cbs13.com/local/defraudi ··· 077.html

Word on the street at the time of ALEXSANDR BERNIK's aka "Alex" indictment, was that he was not "talking", nor willing to finger the Russian based Command & Control, whether from fear or stupidity is not known.

American Express customers should be appalled at the complete lack of reasonable care that they are using to address this long running fraud.

MGD
MGD

1 recommendation

MGD to famousperson

MVM

to famousperson
said by famousperson :

sml-outlet llc tried to get me, too. The first charge to my amex card for $34.20 on May 4th was reversed, for reasons not stated, on May 14. Then two charges for $34.20 appeared on May 17. Amex reversed the charges and said that they would open a fraud file. They said nothing about issuing a new number.
Hi FP,

Thanks for posting. PLEASE call AMEX back and insist that they issue you a new card. This Russian organized crime syndicate will continue to process fraud charges against you card. Your card account data has been compromised (hacked). Also insist that they process the charges as fraudulent.

Maybe you can not only direct their attention to this thread, but also to excerpts from the main documentation here: »Ebook websites, fraud charges, Devbill/DigitalAge/Pluto which shows that this AMEX fraud operation has been going on for years unfettered. From time to time Amex will cancel a fraud merchant account or two, which has no long term effect. The criminals just reapply for more, and get them. Amex is also missing out on the opportunity to perform forensic analysis on the entire compromised data that is processed through these fraudulent accounts. Analysis of this data processed over the years, could have established the compromise vectors and enabled these exploits to be addressed.

MGD
MGD

1 edit

MGD to famousperson

MVM

to famousperson
From the other thread, in reference to a predecessor of sml-outlet llc called 24 HOUR Corp which was hitting both US and UK Amex victims. A video of the cbs13 news story: »cbs13.com/video/?id=3937 ··· port.com

Amex has no excuse for allowing this to continue by dolling out merchant accounts so criminals can launder the hijacked card data right into cash with Amex's help.

The only difference between SMS OUTLET LLC and the several prior years worth of fraud merchant accounts, is that this time the cyber-mule does not appear to be a Russian expat, and is located ~300 miles from the normal concentration of cyber-mules in the Sacramento County and surrounding area.

MGD
MGD

1 edit

1 recommendation

MGD to StillAtIt

MVM

to StillAtIt
I am unable to locate a listed public telephone number for the cyber-mule for SMS OUTLET LLC., one Mr. DAVID DEARKLAND, middle initial "R" appx. 49yrs, of 658 MCCORD AVE., BAKERSFIELD, CA 93308 »www.realtor.com/property ··· afb4bd01

I am working a lead the may yield a number. Of the multi year Russian AMEX fraud featuring California cyber-mules, Mr. Dearkland may be able to offer some intelligence on the operation. Over the past year I have tracked down several of the cyber-mules who registered many of the fraud LLCs, and none were willing to talk. All were Russian immigrants, there were both males and females. Consequently, I have been unable to corroborate a direct connection between the Devbill Visa MasterCard fraud and the California Amex fraud operation. Uncovering how the fraud Amex proceed funds are wired out of the US, and to where, could provide evidence of linkage between the two. So far the only fact that can be established is that it also has direct connections to Russian organized crime and operates with the exact modus-operandi.

Repeated prior contacts with the cyber-mules generated multiple responses that they do not speak English, though they know enough of it to say so. Only one of many attempts to contact other members of the household produced someone fluent in English. That was a cousin of a female college student who registered one of the LLC. When told what they participating in, the cousin was adamant that she would not knowingly participate in such an operation. Her cousin agreed to call me back and act as an interpreter, as I told him I needed to find out where the money was going and exactly how she was recruited. Despite the promise to call back with her present, he never did. Repeated calls made to him were not answered, nor returned. Other cyber-mules would just hang up repeatedly. At least up until now, it was reasonable to conclude that the recruiting vector was through some Russian language publication in the Sacramento County area, either in print or on the internet.

I am not sure why the latest cyber-mule is a deviation from the long running procedure. Whether it was the quick and easy filtering diagram that I posted back in September of 2008, of a simple 30 second procedure for American Express to filter out these fraud merchant applications. Or whether the word spreading within the tight knit Russian community of the arrest and indictment of Alex Bernik had a chilling effect on the recruitment process. Especially since Mr. Bernik was immediately incaracated and refused bail as he was designated a flight risk. It does appear from the allegations in the indictment that Bernik may have a predisposition to the shady side of life.

I am of the opinion that a debriefing of DAVID DEARKLAND could offer significant intelligence on the inner workings of this multi year Amex card fraud laundering operation. I believe that could be very beneficial, especially since American Express does not appear to be much inclined at protecting their card holders from repeated fraud from within their own system. Much less make any reasonable attempt at analysing the possible compromise vectors that have been in repeated use over the last five to six years.

Many of the American Express fraud victims have similar stories as the visa/MC victims, in that some of the cards targeted with the fraud were rarely used, or were dormant during the past several months, or longer.

MGD

rzaruba
join:2000-08-04

rzaruba

There are a number of Dearklands in Bakersfield as per Zabasearch.

They appear to be brothers and sisters.

Ford
@knology.net

Ford to StillAtIt

Anon

to StillAtIt
Thanks all for this very informative thread.

We've been having the same trouble, so I won't bore you with repeating the obvious symptoms. However, I do have a question:

Do any of you have cards with perks?

Ours is a Delta Skymiles card, and we've accrued a significant amount of credit for plane tickets.

Like MMW, I'm beginning to wonder about this: is it not just a little suspicious that AMEX is not at all concerned about all these little amounts here and there that are apparently not very isolated. Like MMW, I never use this card, and so on certain months, other than the mandated minimum, the only charges are these bogus SMS outlets. Is it too big a conspiracy theory to say that AMEX is using (or more likely tolerating) a dummy business to pester cardholders into losing their perks?

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

Where do you get that you lose your accrued benefits? It looks like you are the only person posting that as no-one else posted that changing their account number affects their card holder status or their accrued benefits/perks. It sounds like you don't understand how the process works and are just making wild assumptions.

Ford
@knology.net

Ford

Anon

Fair enough-you're probably right. It was a wild assumption, and you're right-I don't know enough about the process. It just seems weird that AMEX doesn't seem to care about this problem. Perhaps it would take more work and resources for them to attack the problem than allowing the fraudulent business to continue taking smaller amounts? It doesn't seem like it would be to me that difficult to curtail, but I'm obviously no expert as Doctor Odds has pointed out. Point taken.

Thanks again for the informative thread.

Millenniumle
join:2007-11-11
Fredonia, NY

1 edit

Millenniumle

AMEX may be well intended, but their failure to act provides the appearance that they rather enjoy the ~3% cut they acquire from the fraud activities.

So, given AMEX profits from the fraud, it is AMEX that should be concerned with: "It just seems weird that AMEX doesn't seem to care about this problem."

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

1 recommendation

AVD

Premium Member

You keep everything when you transfer account numbers due to fraud.
MGD
MVM

1 edit

1 recommendation

MGD to StillAtIt

MVM

to StillAtIt
In order to establish some scope to this latest Amex merchant account fraud, I am interested in seeing postings from victim's of this fraud on non US issued American Express branded cards. Also, if you do have a foreign issued Amex card with this SMS Outlet LLC aka SMS-outlet.com fraud charge, did you ever use this card at a US based Company?.

With respect to all victims of the fraud, was your card ever used for internet ecommerce activity, or only used at brick & mortar establishments?.

For those of you that contact Amex about the fraud charge, ask if they can tell you if your CVV2 (aka CID) security code was entered, along with your full name and address, as would be expected for a CNP (card not present) transaction.

I suspect many victims are not catching this fraud charge, or at least not until the fourth or fifth hit.
quote:
I just realized that they charge my card 4 times in last few months.
It seems to be related to the "free" ring tones scam from last year. Note: I'm not using the chared card and I'm keeping it in the drawer for more than a year.
Ref:»www.complaintsboard.com/ ··· 197.html

Remember, when you call Amex CS, insist that they process the charges as fraudulent, and issue you a new card. If you have multiple charges over several months insist that you are credited for ALL of them, without regard to a time limit. At least one victim has been told that these are set up as recurring charges.

In my opinion there could be an issue of liability here. Unlike Visa / MasterCard which involves multiple unrelated entities, Amex controls the entire system. Amex issues the merchant accounts, and controls the system gateway processing, theirs is a self contained proprietary system. There may be an issue as to whether reasonable and ordinary care is being used to protect consumers. From time to time over the years that this organized fraud has been running, Amex has stated that several of these fraud set ups have been under investigation. Yet they continue unabated with relative ease. Somewhere in the Devbill thread I quoted a posted comment made by an Amex employee from circa 2006, I believe, confirming that a crime syndicate's set up from back then was under internal investigation.

Every single charge processed from any of these accounts are to card data that has been hijacked. A considerable amount of the charges go through unquestioned, and the resulting fraud proceeds are wired to foreign countries for laundering, then on to the organized crime syndicate.

MGD

trowelblister
@sbcglobal.net

trowelblister

Anon

SMS-Outlet has now hit my Amex Blue (which I do use for internet purchases, though infrequently) twice in 3 months (March and May, both on same date). AMEX takes care of the charges w/out a problem, but doesn't seem to discontinue the "vendor", just credits my account. I am currently emailing back/forth with AMEX CS, trying to see if they'll hack SMS out of their system, because I feel that they should fix this BS themselves and I shouldn't have to cancel my card and get a new acct#. We'll see what happens,,,

BTW, the 800 number listed in other posts has been disconnected.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

The only thing you can do is change your account number.
MGD
MVM

1 edit

1 recommendation

MGD to trowelblister

MVM

to trowelblister
said by trowelblister :

SMS-Outlet has now hit my Amex Blue (which I do use for internet purchases, though infrequently) twice in 3 months (March and May, both on same date). AMEX takes care of the charges w/out a problem, but doesn't seem to discontinue the "vendor", just credits my account. I am currently emailing back/forth with AMEX CS, trying to see if they'll hack SMS out of their system, because I feel that they should fix this BS themselves and I shouldn't have to cancel my card and get a new acct#. We'll see what happens,,,

BTW, the 800 number listed in other posts has been disconnected.
As AVD See Profile stated, the only effective option is to have a new card number issued. Your account is not cancelled, a new card number is assigned to it.

The problem with your scenario is that even if Amex ejects the SMS Outlet LLC aka SMS-outlet.com merchant account, which eventually happens anyway, the crime syndicate still has your complete account data. They create numerous merchant accounts directly through AMEX, as they have for years, and will continue to process fraud charges against your card under various other merchant accounts. The alternative is that you will have to closely watch your card's activity until its expiration date. There is also an additional risk, while the crime syndicate preserves the majority of the hacked card data for this fraud, a percentage of the cards are burned up on major spending sprees. Personally I would be unwilling to tolerate having my valid account data stored in a criminal's database for an extended period.

Amex appears unable, unwilling, or both, to apply a reasonable vetting process for merchant account applications. This criminal operation has functioned for at least 5 years right in front of them. I previously posted several simple filtering suggestions including zip codes, that up until SMS, would have easily created a short list of suspects at application time.

The other problem is that by ignoring and tolerating this perpetual fraud, Amex has deprived themselves of the potential ability to identify the compromise vectors that are yielding their customers account data. Combining the card data used in the multiple accounts of the long running fraud into a database for analysis, could produce evidence of the potential sources of this data. That analysis could have long ago identified the source/s and closed the exploit.

Tolerating fraud may be economically viable in the near term, though very short sighted. Invariably it motivates the criminals to continue and expand an operation that is productive. As noted from the indictment of one cyber-mule, these individual fraudulent merchant accounts can produce upwards of a quarter million dollars of fraud proceeds before they are closed. It is difficult to imagine how Amex could continue to ignore the multi year operation right at their front door. Apparently there are several deeply "asleep at the wheel".

MGD