spc
uniqs

AnonDOG
@kaballero.net

1 recommendation

AnonDOG to IntraLink

Anon

to IntraLink

Re: How to Optimize a Canopy network using advanced timing/sync.

Excellent post. There is a lot of material there which I did not know and I thank you for the information. I sincerely mean that I will remember the lesson and when and if I am ever able to use that information I will apply it in the real world.

As a practical matter, though I don't see how someone with 65 or 70 900 MHz APs in a 900 square mile area and one network engineer will be able to take advantage of these settings and maintain control of the network. I do see that one could optimize one cluster, and I see that if that were done correctly it would not affect any other cluster, but I don't see a practical application for this knowledge in a large network, unless there were sufficient staff to spend a lot of time tweaking.

For a practical example, I have one AP in a cluster that does have some customers at 10 miles and the others only have customers at two miles. I optimize the AP with the customers at 2 miles. Three months later my installers have added customers at 8 miles and 12 miles on the optimized AP and the new customers at 8 and 12 miles now suffer. Because I have tweaked my APs, I have to remember that things are different on those APs and also know that the installers were scheduled to do those installs on those APs so I now need to go back and readjust those units.

In such cases the KISS principle wins (with me) every single time. We set things up very simply in our network because we have to maintain the network over long periods of time. We might sacrifice a bit of bandwidth somewhere but the reduced maintenance costs far outweigh that loss.

The largest cost is always the recurring cost. Maintenance is a recurring cost.
aeronet
join:2002-04-05
San Juan, PR

aeronet

But there are situations...

We try to maintain all our network the same, but sometimes we have APs dedicated to 1 or 2 business customers were the Downlink ratio has to be different .... then you apply the link calculator to make it work

AnonDOG
@kaballero.com

AnonDOG

Anon

said by aeronet:

But there are situations...

We try to maintain all our network the same, but sometimes we have APs dedicated to 1 or 2 business customers were the Downlink ratio has to be different .... then you apply the link calculator to make it work
Absolutely, His information is GOOD information and where you can use it, it will be very valuable.