Search similar:

uniqs

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

Frontier to provide video for Oregon & Indiana?

This is a new press release form Verizon about a company called Frontier taking over Verizon's landline business in 14 states. It includes some areas served by Fios. Check out the paragraph I have below the link to the press release. I wonder how it will affect them?

»newscenter.verizon.com/p ··· ine.html

The transaction includes Verizon's switched and special access lines in the affected areas, as well as its Internet service and long-distance voice accounts. Also included are fiber-to-the-premises (FTTP) assets deployed by Verizon in 41 local franchises and the state of Indiana, which pass approximately 600,000 homes and small businesses. Frontier will continue to provide video services in these areas after the completion of the merger.

klipko
join:2006-06-28
Portland, OR

klipko

Crap. Just when things are looking and working good being under the Verizon umbrella. If I'm reading the PR right.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

I think you are

This really sucks. Frontier currently has one of those deals with DishTV for bundled services that include TV -- is that what what they mean "video services"? Ugh ugh ugh.

IIRC, Vz recently sold off one of its NE markets/states to Frontier (no FiOS but DSL and landline phone services only). Had no idea that something like this would happen to markets like "rural" Oregon and Washington (I guess everything west of the Mississippi River is rural to those east coasters )

matcarl
Premium Member
Franklin Square, NY

1 edit

matcarl to klipko

Premium Member

to klipko
Yeah, it's hard to understand what it means. Will they offer the same service or different channels or what? Will they offer their own boxes and IMG's or just pass it on from Verizon even though it won't be Verizon anymore.
matcarl

matcarl

Premium Member

Guess you guys won't be first with the new IMG's anymore

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by matcarl:

Guess you guys won't be first with the new IMG's anymore
I don't have to guess

klipko
Portland, OR

2 edits

klipko to matcarl

to matcarl
Nice knowing you matcarl. I guess Darc and I will be moving to the Frontier forums.

matcarl
Premium Member
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

Oh no, Indiana too from what it said. Although it said it could take a year.

klipko
Portland, OR

2 edits

klipko

said by matcarl:

Oh no, Indiana too from what it said. Although it said it could take a year.
Yeah, I am jumping to conclusions but with Frontier's previous track record with handling of Verizon's network in NE...it doesn't give me a warm feeling for how things will be handled here.

Darc - when is a good time to startup the therapy group?

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to matcarl

MVM

to matcarl
I wonder if the sale also includes call centers in those areas sold. Fort Wayne has a large call center as well as other operational facilities.

Also, I wonder if Frontier can handle the growth, in number lines, land area, and technolgies. The company will be literally tripling in size according to here.
cdru

cdru to klipko

MVM

to klipko
said by klipko:

Yeah, I am jumping to conclusions but with Frontier's previous track record with handling of Verizon's network in NE...it doesn't give me a warm feeling for how things will be handled here.
I believe you are confusing FairPoint Communications with Frontier. Different company.
cdru

cdru to matcarl

MVM

to matcarl
Additional discussion will probably be appearing here:

»Verizon Sells Huge Chunk Of Network To Frontier

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious to klipko

Premium Member

to klipko
said by klipko:

Darc - when is a good time to startup the therapy group?
Every Friday at a McMenamin's near you
darcilicious

darcilicious to cdru

Premium Member

to cdru
And here: »We are not alone (Verizon sells assets to Frontier)
darcilicious

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by darcilicious:

IIRC, Vz recently sold off one of its NE markets/states to Frontier (no FiOS but DSL and landline phone services only). Had no idea that something like this would happen to markets
Correction, that was FairPoint, not Frontier -- oops!

klipko
Portland, OR

klipko to cdru

to cdru
said by cdru:

said by klipko:

I believe you are confusing FairPoint Communications with Frontier. Different company.
Yes you are right. My bad.

matcarl
Premium Member
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

I wonder what they'll call the product, probably can't use the term Fios anymore

klipko
Portland, OR

klipko

I just re-read the PR and now I'm more confused. Is it just the copper that Verizon sold or is it both the copper and fiber networks?

(I'm blonde on cold medicine right now to take it easy on me with any bad comments.)

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

Klip-

Here's the clip (LOL)

"Also included are fiber-to-the-premises (FTTP) assets"

Onedollar
join:2001-08-27
Pomona, CA

Onedollar

The new Fios will be named Frios
jwdv22
join:2008-01-15
Phoenixville, PA

jwdv22

Fritos?
webin
join:2008-07-09
Hillsboro, OR

webin to SeattleMatt

to SeattleMatt
said by SeattleMatt:

Klip-

Here's the clip (LOL)

"Also included are fiber-to-the-premises (FTTP) assets"
If it weren't for that one line, I'd assume it's just the copper line services (phone and DSL), and implies they want just focus on their fiber system.

matcarl
Premium Member
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

It's more than just a line. It says Frontier will provide video service

"Also included are fiber-to-the-premises (FTTP) assets deployed by Verizon in 41 local franchises and the state of Indiana, which pass approximately 600,000 homes and small businesses. Frontier will continue to provide video services in these areas after the completion of the merger."
squatch414
join:2008-09-04
Bothell, WA

squatch414 to matcarl

to matcarl
UGH from WA state!!!

matcarl
Premium Member
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

Oh yeah, forgot it mention Washington.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious to matcarl

Premium Member

to matcarl
said by matcarl:

It's more than just a line. It says Frontier will provide video service

[...]Frontier will continue to provide video services in these areas after the completion of the merger."
But they don't say HOW they'll provide video services, that's what's got me bothered. Currently, Frontier "provides" video service via DishTV (similar, I'm assuming, to the way Vz does it in its non-TV but FiOS capable areas).

Given the technical and bureaucratic logistics involved in getting TV delivered over fiber in the first place, I'll be shocked if former Vz customers will get TV over current fiber optic lines in the first year when this transition is supposed to be completed.
webin
Hillsboro, OR

1 edit

webin

I'm at a point where it makes no sense to think that Verizon is selling my FioS subscription (which includes a substantial capital expenditure to create the fiber network) to some other company, which would then force me to put a DiSH on my house to get my TV via satellite (something I won't do, and CAN'T since I use a TivoHD). It makes no sense for them to sell off part of their core business.

Which makes me think we aren't understanding all the facts. Is anyone capable of contacting VZ execs to get clarification?

Just to put it out there, I'm thinking this is rural only (areas that are predominantly non-fiosed. It includes only copper phone and DSL, and Frontier would continue to package with DirecTV as VZ does now.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

Unfortunately, I think it makes even less sense for Verizon to sell off copper-only customers -- how would that even work? From everything I read, Vz is dumping ALL markets in the named states.

This »stopthecap.com/2009/05/1 ··· verizon/ is an interesting read, done from a "where is broadband in rural areas?" perspective.

This caught my eye:
quote:
"Frontier claims just 20.9% of the Verizon service areas impacted by this deal have broadband service, whereas Frontier’s penetration rate is 25.7%."
What's hard to wrap my head around is the idea of the WA/OR tech-savvy (Intel, Microsoft, etc) suburbs being lumped in with "rural". And it's hard to believe that these markets aren't profitable enough. Guess Comcast really did give them a run for their money
webin
Hillsboro, OR

1 edit

webin

"As of year-end 2008, these operations served approximately 4.8 million local access lines; 2.2 million long-distance customers; 1.0 million high-speed data customers, including approximately 110,000 FiOS Internet customers; and 69,000 FiOS TV customers."

I still believe they are keeping the areas where they have their existing FiOS system running. The above quote mentions less than 200k TV or Internet users being affected... that can't be all the subscribers they have in those 14 states.

My boss lives on Bald Peak south of Hillsboro. I just asked, and his copper telephone service is from Verizon. I have a hard time believing it's anything other than customers out in the sticks like him (and those living in Newberg, for instance) that are being sold off... areas where it will never be economical to lay fiber.

They can't be selling their FiOS markets. That would be the opposite of their stated mission to deploy all the FiOS they can.

Onedollar
join:2001-08-27
Pomona, CA

Onedollar

Sorry,

Say goodbye to Oregon/Washington FiOS