share rss forum feed

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

1 recommendation

I don't understand why the FCC was so big on this technology

... I think all along it's been a "strawman", an appearance of "cultivating competition".

Or maybe they just plain wanted it to work. I think there is possibilities for Internet via the electric utilities, but this doesn't appear to be it.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02
kudos:39
I think by and large it served as a way to justify policies that essentially just gave AT&T and Verizon whatever they lobbied for -- with very few exceptions.

By shilling for BPL, they could use their own shilling for BPL as evidence they were trying to foster additional competition in the space, the actual viability of the technology be damned...

In other words, showmanship.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting
reply to KrK
I've never understood the advantage of Power Line broadband vs setting up a WISP. Same thing with HomePlug power line LAN vs WiFi.

The equipment to launch and receive BPL is not all that different then over the air. Power lines are not very good waveguide.

/tom

rob11252

join:2006-09-08
Macomb, MI
reply to KrK
I do. It was a deliberate bet on a dead horse, thus protecting incumbents. If somebody complained that FCC did not foster competition, they could easily deny it, knowing with absolute certainty that it would never get of the ground and challenge incumbents. Mission accomplished, Mr. Martin!

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
reply to Karl Bode
That's exactly what I mean by saying "giving the appearance of cultivating competition." Maybe I should of said "Red Herring" instead of "Strawman" but you get the idea....
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini