how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

js23186

join:2005-08-02
North Platte, NE

[DIRECTV] 2nd dish at vac home

from what I have read, you can install directv at a vacation home (2nd location) as long as you have a 2nd dish and reciever. I have only had DTV for a couple of months now, so not real familar on the "power" part of this. When mine was installed, they ran a single line into the house - called it a swim line - to a splitter and placed a power unit at one of the recievers. I plan on only having one tv at my cabin, so do I still need the power supply and just leave out the splitter box? Where can I get a power supply from. thanks.

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
kudos:1

1 edit
Yes you can have second dish but no NOT a second receiver at a different location with out a second account.

IE you ahould be able to take you home receiver to a second location OK... but not two receivers in different locations, without a second account.

And depending how far away might not be able to get your locals if out of the spot beam that provides them.
--
»haywardm.com (Hayward's Key West)

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
reply to js23186
Also you need to aquire the second dish yourself.... DON"T ask DISH to supply it.... they won't.
--
»haywardm.com (Hayward's Key West)

mayhew2345

join:2006-09-04
reply to js23186
use the same receiver buy a dish off of ebay ive been doing this for years

rjs25

join:2000-01-03
Southfield, MI
reply to js23186
You could also just add another receiver to your account for the extra $5.00 a month and leave that receiver at your vacation place. The added receiver will have all the same programming, but you might not be able to receive your local channels that are spot beamed.

Airborne29th

join:2008-10-20
Staunton, VA

1 edit
reply to js23186
You won't need to get a swm connection for your receiver at your vacation spot, all you need is the rg6 cable from the dish to the ground block then inside to the receiver and thats it.

F430

@cox.net
reply to rjs25
quote:
You could also just add another receiver to your account for the extra $5.00 a month and leave that receiver at your vacation place.
According to Directv's Terms of Service if you do this only 1 receiver may be active at a time. When you go to your vacation place you need to call Directv to activate the vacation receiver and disable the one at your home. When you return you need to call them again to switch back to using the one at your home. If you want both active you will need a second account.