Grown up Flower Child
Premium Member
join:2005-01-29
So. CA, USA

onDvine

Premium Member

What is ETILQS_RX5YUOL3UZUZW66DEKCC ?

Click for full size
I was looking at a YouTube Video when WinPatrol warned me of something Flash-related trying to install. I should've gotten a screen snapshot of the warning but didn't...just clicked not to allow it.

Afterward, I found the highlighted entry in the screen snapshot above in WinPatrol's Recent tab and chose to delete the hidden file at the next boot, then rebooted. I ran an A-Squared scan which found nothing and see nothing new in HijackThis, but still don't know what ETILQS_RX5YUOL3UZUZW66DEKCC is/was. A Google search didn't turn up information that I understood.

If anyone can offer insight, it will be appreciated.

dandelion
MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN

1 recommendation

dandelion

MVM

Until someone more knowledgable comes along, will just post this link as a FYI:

»www.wilderssecurity.com/ ··· t=215287

onDvine
Grown up Flower Child
Premium Member
So. CA, USA

1 recommendation

onDvine

Premium Member

Thank you! That was one of the bits of information I found but didn't understand.

I'm mostly concerned/interested because it's the first time ANYthing's tried to install itself while I was watching a YouTube video.

dandelion
MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN

1 recommendation

dandelion to onDvine

MVM

to onDvine
Glad you saw it, and since I also watch you-tube will wait for more information also.

onDvine
Grown up Flower Child
Premium Member
So. CA, USA

1 recommendation

onDvine

Premium Member

Off-topic: that particular video is interesting: about an Australian bird that mimics birds and other sounds heard, including power saws destroying its own environment.

FunnyBones
Premium Member
join:2004-01-22
usa

1 recommendation

FunnyBones to onDvine

Premium Member

to onDvine
This just looks like tmp file you would normal receive like fla some number here .tmp and the machid mixed together.

Wouldn't be a virus probably as youtube re-encodes the video.

onDvine
Grown up Flower Child
Premium Member
So. CA, USA

onDvine

Premium Member

said by FunnyBones:

... just looks like tmp file you would normal receive ...
Hmmm. Wonder why it never happened before if it's "normal." Am NOT saying you're mistaken, since I don't have a clue.
...Wouldn't be a virus probably as youtube re-encodes the video.
That's reassuring. Thank you!

Unknown_Poster
@verizon.net

2 recommendations

Unknown_Poster to onDvine

Anon

to onDvine
said by onDvine:

I was looking at a YouTube Video when WinPatrol warned me of something Flash-related trying to install.
Are you sure WinPatrol noted it as something YouTube related, and that it was trying to 'install'?

It's as the Wilder's link says-- a Firefox file, something that started happening with the 3.x versions. And certainly has nothing to do with YouTube.

Mine (even though I have the 'check for forgery' option disabled in Firefox):

Nothing to concern about.
If you delete it, it will be created again the next time you open Firefox. Just something Firefox does now.

onDvine
Grown up Flower Child
Premium Member
So. CA, USA

1 edit

onDvine

Premium Member

said by Unknown_Poster :

said by onDvine:

... WinPatrol warned me of something Flash-related trying to install.
Are you sure WinPatrol noted it as something YouTube related, and that it was trying to 'install'? ...
No. As in what you quoted from my original post, the warning was about something Flash-related, not YouTube-related. Am 95% sure it was something about updating my Flash. Very much regret not getting a screen snapshot of the warning.
... Nothing to concern about.
If you delete it, it will be created again the next time you open Firefox. Just something Firefox does now.
You're right. It's back, but with a different sequence of letters/numbers and time stamped 8:03 p.m. Odd that the first warning from WinPatrol should come today considering how long it's been since I updated Firefox to v 3.*.

Thanks, Unknown_Poster. Guess I won't worry about it.

Edit: I tend to try to find out about anything new/unfamiliar that happens.

Unknown_Poster
@verizon.net

1 recommendation

Unknown_Poster

Anon

Yeah, sorry. I meant 'Flash-related'. (YouTube, Flash . . same thing.)

Well, maybe WinPatrol got a blip from something happening on YouTube while at the same time 'etilqs' was doing something or other, and confused the two. Or whatever.
Glitches will happen, I think we all know that.

I once had my firewall tell me that TrueCrypt wanted to connect to the Internet when I brought up Firefox while at the same time having a couple of other apps working. The one and only time that's ever happened in several years of using both Firefox and TrueCrypt, as well as this firewall.
Glitch, pure and simple. Though it sure got my attention when it happened.

You can always delete the 'etilqs' entry from the WinPatrol list, watch that same video (or otherwise surf around YouTube) and see if you get notified again.
Maybe you will. I figure it for a glitch though.

onDvine
Grown up Flower Child
Premium Member
So. CA, USA

onDvine

Premium Member

said by Unknown_Poster :

... watch that same video (or otherwise surf around YouTube) and see if you get notified again.
Maybe you will. I figure it for a glitch though.
I tried watching the video again and didn't get the same warning so the glitch theory makes sense.

Again, I appreciate your input.

Rxdoxx

join:2000-11-03
Middle River, MD

2 recommendations

Rxdoxx to onDvine

to onDvine
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SQLite
backwards etilqs is sqlite used by Firefox for data

ashrc4
Premium Member
join:2009-02-06