join:2004-06-19
Alexandria, VA

2 edits

[Help] Ball Joint Won't Budge for Replacement - '94 GMC Sonoma 4

Click for full size
Stuck stud is circled; arrow to knuckle
Click for full size
Close-up of stud
I'm trying to replace my ball joints (upper & lower) in my '94 GMC Sonoma 4x4, and ran into difficulty -- I can't separate it from the steering knuckle! I managed to get the rivets & castle-nut off, but can't get the stud out of the knuckle.

I can't use the special ball joint separator tool I borrowed from the auto store b/c the front transaxle is in the way and have no room to fit the tool in.

The pickle-fork just seems to move the upper control arm around, but the stud won't budge from the bottom.

I tried forcing the stud up w/ an improvised jack mechanism, but it's still not budging.

See attached. Any suggestions? Thanks. Mike.

ChargerMike
Premium
join:2001-06-10
Edgerton, WI

Re: [Help] Ball Joint Won't Budge for Replacement - '94 GMC Sono

Bring on the HEAT!,
Your going to need to heat the knuckle up real good

myokitis

join:2004-06-19
Alexandria, VA
said by ChargerMike:

Bring on the HEAT!,
Your going to need to heat the knuckle up real good
Thanks Mike! Anyone else?

MrFixitCT
pay it forward
Premium,VIP,ExMod 2001-06
join:2000-12-01
Charleston, SC
was thinking the same myself...

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

1 recommendation

reply to myokitis
Have someone hold a large hammer against one side of the knuckle while you whack the opposite side of the knuckle. One hammer will be on each side of tapered part of the ball joint. 3 or 4 good smacks and the ball joint should jump right out of the tapered hole.

briand069

join:2003-04-13
Vacaville, CA
reply to myokitis
Have you tried an actual ball joint seperator?

sdgthy

@optonline.net
reply to myokitis
Pickle fork and a 12lb sledge always works for me.

zr2stepside

join:2009-05-16
Farwell, MN
reply to myokitis
The striking with a support on the opposite side will work most of the time. It appears you have some prerequisites to perform before the lower ball joint will be allowed to be removed. 1. Remove large axle nut with large socket (can rent) and breaker bar. I use a large bar inserted in one of the cooling holes in the rotor and lodged against the caliper mount. 2. The axle will have to be pressed partially in. This will allow clearance for the lower ball joint to be removed. 3. Remove the caliper and support bracket, and wire up onto the coil spring. 4. remove rotor.
5. I suggest removing the tie rod end also. Use the striking and support to prevent damage to rubber tie rod seal. Pickle fork will damage the rubber seal. This will allow turning the spindle assembly easier to allow striking and supporting the opposite sides of the taper pin mount.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18

1 edit
reply to myokitis
How to Use a Pickle Fork to Remove the Upper & Lower Ball Joints
»www.expertvillage.com/video/4446···fork.htm

grcore
Challenge Accepted

join:2003-12-06
usa
reply to myokitis
Double hammer method always worked for me, never had to use a pickle fork.

Gotta Do What Ya Gotta Do
Premium
join:2000-09-02
Here
kudos:1
reply to myokitis
I have always used a Fork on Ball-joints and Tie-rods, a couple pops with a good size short handle sledge and off they come, just like in the video posted by Doctor Olds.
--
It is better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Cheezz

join:2003-10-17
reply to myokitis
Always used the hammer method.. Good luck

TheHarvester
Premium
join:2006-08-25
Dana Point, CA
kudos:3
reply to myokitis
Click for full size
Use a good sized hammer and hit the area I circled in red. Turn the wheel to one side to get a better access to it.